Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2024 4:34:39 PM EDT
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6179489

I had an amusing thought that this would be interesting to print this, cast them, and then shoot them w/ a printed sabot in a 37mm DD or 40mm.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat. I wonder how well they stabilize out of a smooth bore barrel.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:47:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jhereg] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gingerbreadman:
Neat. I wonder how well they stabilize out of a smooth bore barrel.
View Quote
They're shaped like a pellet which from what I've read is pretty stable.   There's a stl to print the projectile itself there too.  I've thought about printing some and experimenting w/ them.  On the other hand I have too many projects right now so this is a neat idea and I might get back to it at some point.

One of the thoughts I had on those is they would be brutal to be near if you shot something hard like steel w/ them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:11:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Printed one to get an idea on the size.  With a SD card adapter for size.  It's loose in a printed 37mm shot cup.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:03:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Would casting something like this aluminum or zinc be practical and legal? I assume printing is popular because you get a uniform product without machining?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:52:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jhereg] [#5]
Originally Posted By neight:
Would casting something like this aluminum or zinc be practical and legal? I assume printing is popular because you get a uniform product without machining?
View Quote

Should be able to cast it.  I've read you can do lost PLA casting similar to lost wax but haven't done it.   If you look at my link at the beginning the person who designed has molds you can print in PLA or TPU and cast them out of concrete. I printed that one to see how big it was and to be able to handle it and look at it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:57:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Thinking about the sample I printed and the shot cup it's sitting next to.    I may scale it up a bit so it fits in the shot cup and see how that looks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:27:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I seriously need to make some fin stabilized bits for those giant big assed 9in roofing nails.

Then fire them out of a pneumatic spud gun at 100psi.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:37:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By uglygun:
I seriously need to make some fin stabilized bits for those giant big assed 9in roofing nails.

Then fire them out of a pneumatic spud gun at 100psi.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:07:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Forgive me I'm just jumping in, and new to the DD realm. But I cast copious amounts of metal. Mainly aluminum and brass and bronze. I also cast iron quite a bit. So an iron chill mold could turn out infinite pellet projectiles in low temp metal like aluminum or a denser alloy. I guess if it's too heavy it can damage the rifling or contain too much pressure? I fell into a LMT rail mount a few weeks ago and got a Pace defense frame, and just today while looking at my email on the can caught a LMT classic receiver from V1. Now Im so excited about a stamped lawn dart gun I don't know where to start!

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:11:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Forgive me I'm just jumping in, and new to the DD realm. But I cast copious amounts of metal. Mainly aluminum and brass and bronze. I also cast iron quite a bit. So an iron chill mold could turn out infinite pellet projectiles in low temp metal like aluminum or a denser alloy. I guess if it's too heavy it can damage the rifling or contain too much pressure? I fell into a LMT rail mount a few weeks ago and got a Pace defense frame, and just today while looking at my email on the can caught a LMT classic receiver from V1. Now Im so excited about a stamped lawn dart gun I don't know where to start!

View Quote

Look at Grog's loading info before you start doing a lot of reloading for the 37 or 40mm stuff.   I'm far from an expert on it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I wonder how hard these would be on a chrome lined 26.5mm barrel.

My registered RV85 has been nagging me to feed it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:
I wonder how hard these would be on a chrome lined 26.5mm barrel.

My registered RV85 has been nagging me to feed it.
View Quote

I suspect they'd tear the hell out of it.  At least if you made them out of concrete.  If I was going to do that I'd print the mold smaller and make some sort of wad or sabot for them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jhereg:

Should be able to cast it.  I've read you can do lost PLA casting similar to lost wax but haven't done it.   If you look at my link at the beginning the person who designed has molds you can print in PLA or TPU and cast them out of concrete. I printed that one to see how big it was and to be able to handle it and look at it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jhereg:

https://us.polymaker.com/products/polycast

Polymaker has a filament for this purpose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top