Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2023 12:39:49 PM EDT
So I won a 5.56 RAR on a "low ball" bid.  Since the NDS sights still are unobtanium, what optic should I put on it?  I have an RT-6 on my 7.62x39 RAR.  Something similar?  PA prism?  S&B PMII?
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:33:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: azdover] [#1]
I tried a PA Slx 1X microprism at first on my 556 RAR mounted in a Sharp Bros Heatseeker chassis.  Worked really well for my purposes - a 200-300 yard rifle.  Good eye relief and a distortion free sight picture plus I really like their ACSS reticles.

I then decided I wanted a little magnification and replaced the 1X with a 3X in case I wanted to stretch the shots out a little further.  I like the increased magnification but I noticed a couple of things.  The first is the shorter eye relief - 2.7 inches.  PA doesn't list an eye relief for their 1X so it must not be a factor for that scope.  In my picture below, you can see that if you use the factory stock, you're going to have to find a mount that brings the PA closer to your eye or really lean into the scope.  It's not a problem with the Heatseeker since the LOP is about 1.75 inches shorter.

The other thing that's noticeable is the small amount of distortion around the edge of the sight picture compared to my PA 1X microprisms which have no distortion as far as I can tell.  But the center of 3X sight picture is clear and distortion free.  Personally, I can live with that little bit of distortion in exchange for the increased magnification.

Now if you really want to stretch it out further, you might try something like this setup -  a 556 RAR with an Arken 4-16 scope.  DuneShoot posted these pictures over in the Bolt Action Rifle section of the forum.  He has some real promising results with a stock RAR with no mods other than a scope and bipod using factory IMI 77gr 556 at 100 yards.

Link Posted: 7/8/2023 5:44:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet] [#2]
Yeah I wanted to stick with lower power for this little guy.  I have a Diamondback tactical on my Howa Mini .223 and my Howa 1500 .308 wears an Arken 4-16.  I'm kinda curious about the 2X GLx (longer eye relief than the 3x SLx...3.5").  Also curious about the PA 1-6 with the Nova reticle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah - they're nice little rifles.  I like the factory stock although the forend is a little flimsy.  But that's an easy fix with some thin metal tubes and epoxy.  Only reason I went with the Heatseeker chassis is I wanted a folding stock and that's the only option I could find that also gave me an option for backup iron sights.  Forgot to mention, but I can regularly shoot 2 inch 100 yard 5 shot groups with IMI 77gr 556 with the PA 3X.   Not world class marksmanship, but works for me.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Also wanted to add, I'm looking at prisms (and LPVOs) because my astigmatism and red-dots hate each other
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Picked it up today.  Love it!  "Zip Zip"-corduroy-pants-sounding-bolt and all.

I'm leaning towards the PA 1-6 Nova...
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 2:40:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zardoz] [#6]
I put a Holosun 507K on mine.

Kept the gun very light and handy. I have astigmatism as well, but the Holosun circle dot reticles aren't affected much.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 7:44:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zardoz:
I put a Holosun 507K on mine.

Kept the gun very light and handy. I have astigmatism as well, but the Holosun circle dot reticles aren't affected much.
View Quote

Yeah, I like the 510 on my SBR.  "Regular" dots are just a "smudge" for me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I love the PA 1x6 on my 300blk.  You can’t go wrong with the price.  I have a Nikon prostaff 4x12 on my 7.62x39 and I love how light weight it is but if you want to go lower power the PA is excellent.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Picked it up today.  Love it!  "Zip Zip"-corduroy-pants-sounding-bolt and all.

I'm leaning towards the PA 1-6 Nova...
View Quote

Work the bolt with some Flitz and that annoying zipper sound goes away quickly.  Took me about 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry to hijack.

For a Ruger ranch 5.56 I was thinking of:

A Primary Arms MD-25 ACSS or Holosun 515GM in a low mount.
A Primary Arms 3x Magnifier in either

An Arisaka Low Magnifier Mount (probably reverse to flip to the left side)
Or a QD 30mm ring mount for the magnifier.

Just looking to use the Optics I already have. I dont really need a LVPO yet.

I know it sounds odd but has anyone else gone this route?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Lancelot:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/668/IMG_1571-3177267.jpg

Aimpoint Pro
View Quote

I wish I could, but my astigmatism says "fuck you dot"
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I put this on my 6.5g RAR. It’s an Sig Tango MSR 1-10x28.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top