Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2024 11:49:58 AM EDT
I'm heavily considering one of these. I was looking at a pistol, but then I confirmed that I would not be able to compete with a brace on it. So, now looking at the 16" carbine. Not a great deal of info out on these, but most of what I've seen seems to be good.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:12:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottMO] [#1]
I have an AR-V pistol that I made into a SBR and love the size.  I’d owned several mp5 clones with a sear, and they are long gone, but now have the AR-V and a few scorpion SBRs.  They are not mp5’s but I enjoy them.  
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 16" that I compete in 2-Gun with, shoots great. I changed the trigger and put in a hydraulic buffer. The main downside to these is they won't sell separate uppers. I'd really like to build an ultra light upper as well. I read the feed ramps will come loose and found mine barely tight. I put some blue loctite on the screws and haven't had an issue since.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-v-7-9mm-1-10-nitride-tri-lug-pdw-pistol.html?avad=211021_e370cceed&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=cl
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:
I have a 16" that I compete in 2-Gun with, shoots great. I changed the trigger and put in a hydraulic buffer. The main downside to these is they won't sell separate uppers. I'd really like to build an ultra light upper as well. I read the feed ramps will come loose and found mine barely tight. I put some blue loctite on the screws and haven't had an issue since.
View Quote

This is along the lines of what I'm looking for one for.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#5]
It's on my want list.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone know anything about Means Arms Exomag?
I am considering a PSA 9mm upper that they have on sale and want to use an existing standard lower.
Looked for Endomags , to avoid an insert, and came across their new Exomags.
They are taking pre-orders now and wondering if they are GTG.

Sorry for the thread slide.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#7]
They occasionally have an upper/lower receiver sets.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I built an AR-V set with a Maxim Defense delayed buffer. So glad I did. Got tired of fighting the CMMG RDB and the ejector going tits up after half a case of ammo. Mine runs great and has the upgraded PSA barrel that aids in feeding. I had a bunch of endo mags that work fine but are limited to 30 rds, are big, and I would rather have thinner 35 rd CZ/PSA/Magpul Evo mags.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 8:41:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Coffin-Nail] [#11]
Just wanted to update this with my experience over the weekend. Had trigger issues where my CMC PCC trigger wouldn't reset last weekend during a 2-Gun match. I took the gun apart the other day and found rub marks on the receiver where the trigger was rubbing. The CMC has a very wide trigger and there's not enough clearance. I put the receiver in my mill and took a few thousandths off and polished the surface then hit with some Aluminum Black. Problem seems to be solved but its something to be aware of. Interestingly the problem took several hundred rounds to rear its head, perhaps when it wore through the anodizing the resistance increased enough to overcome the springs.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 7:25:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Joedirt199] [#12]
I noticed the receiver sets for this are very tight tollerance. The bolt to upper clearance is really close. Mine has a 2 stage DSG/Schmid trigger and works well. Just need to do more testing with the magpul evo mags before I have total faith in them. They seem to be better after making clearance for the feeding cone in the lower receiver.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had zero issues with any of the mags I've tried. The only Magpul's I've used are the drums though, I have some new in the wrapper stick mags I've yet to try. Gen 1 scorpion mags work great, F5 Drum works great, D60's works great though I mostly use the PSA mags for competition.

When I first got the gun I read about issues with the feed ramp coming loose so I preemptively polished it before loctiting in the screws.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#14]
So I have some delrin rod coming to make a short stroke kit for my Maxim Delayed buffer. Had a few brass end up behing the bolt stop since the bolt runs the full 223 length back. Going to stop the bolt's rearward travel just behind the bolt stop. Have a foot of it and only need a half inch. If anyone else is interested I can send some their way.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:
So I have some delrin rod coming to make a short stroke kit for my Maxim Delayed buffer. Had a few brass end up behing the bolt stop since the bolt runs the full 223 length back. Going to stop the bolt's rearward travel just behind the bolt stop. Have a foot of it and only need a half inch. If anyone else is interested I can send some their way.
View Quote

I'm thinking that I might play around with this from Taccom to short stroke mine.

https://taccom3g.com/product/buffer-spacer-for-sw-response/
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:43:41 AM EDT
[#16]
The reviews all mention that the bolt release sucks but other than that are positive
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#17]

I'm thinking that I might play around with this from Taccom to short stroke mine.

https://taccom3g.com/product/buffer-spacer-for-sw-response/
View Quote

Not sure what parts you want to use from that kit unless you plan to drill holes in the middle of the parts to go over the buffer system center rod and spring. A foot of delrin rod cost me $20 with shipping from mcmaster-carr. All I will have to do is turn down the outside diameter a little to fit inside the buffer tube and cut the length I need to stop the buffer travel.

As for the bolt release, I found that the bolt stop has a small nub on it to hold the bolt better. Filed that sucker off and polished the front of the bolt and the bolt stop. Now it releases the bolt much easier than before.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:

Not sure what parts you want to use from that kit unless you plan to drill holes in the middle of the parts to go over the buffer system center rod and spring. A foot of delrin rod cost me $20 with shipping from mcmaster-carr. All I will have to do is turn down the outside diameter a little to fit inside the buffer tube and cut the length I need to stop the buffer travel.

As for the bolt release, I found that the bolt stop has a small nub on it to hold the bolt better. Filed that sucker off and polished the front of the bolt and the bolt stop. Now it releases the bolt much easier than before.
View Quote

I’m not running a maxim buffer, guess I should have made that clear. I’m using a Kynshot hydraulic buffer which has about .900 of room behind the buffer by my measurements in the collapsed position. The Taccom buffer only takes up .750 collapsed so it might work with the BHO.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh sorry to assume you were. Yeah the AR-V could benefit from a short stroke kit. I have had brass fail to eject and get stuck behind the bolt hold open and were a pain to get out once the bolt started forward. Ofcourse the snow delayed my package so may be monday now when I get a chance to work with it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:51:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottMO] [#20]
Up until recently I had only been using the factory PSA mags. My last outing I took a CZ Scorpion mag and Magpul mag, and my firearm did not like either one of those mags as I couldn’t get through more than two or three rounds without issues. but the factory PSA mags works great. not sure why mine has issues with those different mags but I’m OK with it as I have plenty of the PSA ones.  if that fixes the problem that I’m still good to go.   I do have a magpul drum that I did not try yet, but will try soon.

Tag for more short stroke kit info…
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:45:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Joedirt199] [#21]
Look at the front of your mags and compare them to the PSA mag. The Magpul and CZ had a sharp 90* ledge about an inch down from the front of the mag while the PSA has an angled front. I took a file and started breaking that sharp edge because it hits the feeding cone on the lower before the mag can fully seat. It doesn't take much sanding before the mag seats much better and with less force. I think that helped my magpul mags work better.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#22]
 A guy has been using the triangle braced pistol version at the local action steel match.

It runs 100%, and he does very well with it over the past 6 months or so he's been running it.

And the mag cost makes it even more attractive.

It would be a pretty good choice for a 9mm PCC.

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Got my delrin short stroke bumper done. Man I wish I had a mill and a lathe. Modding parts on a poor man's lathe, aka electic hand drill with part held on a bolt, sucks. Got it turned down under an inch on the outside and inside is just under half an inch. I went with 3/4" long as you have a little over an inch of space between the bolt face and the bolt hold open nub. The bolt release is much better now that the small nub on the bolt stop is gone. I can seat a mag and drop the bolt much easier with the bolt release button. Now to run a few rounds through it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:23:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Anybody mounted a vertical grip on the M&p-5 style hand-guard?  Was looking at mounting a mlok style grip but the channel on the bottom of the grip is to thin for a screw to fit in without drilling…
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone have an extra MP5 style hand guard for the ARV?
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I have one if you want it. I think I stripped one of the pinch screws that holds it on the barrel nut. Is there a certain length you are looking for since they come in 7" and 5"? I have the 7".
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Got the buffer spacer in today, the gun in fact does lock back on an empty mag but the bolt release is very tight. I have to use the charging handle to release the bolt. I should have time tomorrow to do a little shooting to see how much of a difference it makes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Got the buffer spacer in today, the gun in fact does lock back on an empty mag but the bolt release is very tight. I have to use the charging handle to release the bolt. I should have time tomorrow to do a little shooting to see how much of a difference it makes.
View Quote

Got a picture of it? What are the dimensions?  Standing by for the Range report.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By scottMO:

Got a picture of it? What are the dimensions?  Standing by for the Range report.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By scottMO:

Maybe I'll take some at the range, getting the flat wire spring past the detent is a PIA. Here's the info from Taccom.

3/4” aluminum cushion
25# wave spring, .62” travel
Designed for the S&W Response using the TACCOM adjustable 9mm buffer
Will also work with the TACCOM ESSB Bolt and the TACCOM adjustable 9mm buffer combination
Includes (2) optional 3/8” spacers, aluminum cushion and wave spring
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#30]
lOriginally Posted By Birddog1911:
I'm heavily considering one of these. I was looking at a pistol, but then I confirmed that I would not be able to compete with a brace on it. So, now looking at the 16" carbine. Not a great deal of info out on these, but most of what I've seen seems to be good.
View Quote

I've got a pistol w/ a F1 suppressor that lives on it.  I think it's my favorite PCC platform and I've tried Colt/Glock/and AR-V.   Have a Sub2K also.  Actually it might be my 2nd favorite.  I've got a pistol that pretty much matches it in 22LR  using CMMG parts.    It's more fun because it's so cheap/quiet to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:40:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coffin-Nail] [#31]
At first the buffer spacer made no appreciable difference, maybe a tiny bit less movement, but nothing reflected in the timer. Then I took out the hammer weight and holy crap it was night and day, it cut my splits significantly and the gun barely moves. I did have one dead trigger, pretty sure I outran the bolt once and had a hammer follow. Between the hydraulic buffer and buffer spacer hopefully it's slowing down the bolt down enough to prevent any long term damage. The cycling certainly felt nice and smooth.

Splits went from .17-.20 with and without the buffer.

Without the weight and no buffer spacer .15-.16.

With the buffer spacer .11-.13 splits.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:30:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Coffin-Nail] [#32]
Small update, had more trigger reset issues last week before a falling steel match last Saturday. I stuck the lower back in the mill and opened it up another .040 on each side, after about .010-.020 the first time around so .050-.070 a side, .120ish total. It runs 100% after doing that.
Top Top