Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2024 3:27:37 AM EDT
https://www.z-bolt.com/acal

Looks pretty cool. If it actually comes to market at $1500 I think it'll be the default laser to get for civilians.

I will say I wish the button was located in line with the bore and that the unit hung to the right instead of the left, but I think that if those end up being my biggest gripes with the laser I can live with that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 5:04:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By NewWind:
https://www.z-bolt.com/acal

Looks pretty cool. If it actually comes to market at $1500 I think it'll be the default laser to get for civilians.

I will say I wish the button was located in line with the bore and that the unit hung to the right instead of the left, but I think that if those end up being my biggest gripes with the laser I can live with that.
View Quote

IF they can hold that price point and the unit actually works they've got a winner on their hands.

It's nothing revolutionary but it's definitely a product improved D2.  At least on paper at this time.

There's supposed to be way more info coming at Shot Show.

Holosun teased a new MFAL on IG so we will see what they're going to be coming out with.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:28:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it's got potential, but the $1500 price point makes it a bit more "wait and see" than, say, the Holosun offerings.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 7:50:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Magsz18:Holosun teased a new MFAL on IG so we will see what they're going to be coming out with.
View Quote

Agree pretty much with everything else you said, but interested in this. Anywhere I can find more info? A cursory glance at their IG didn't reveal anything to me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Their surefire LEP heads are cool because they provide D2 like illumination for less than $300.

But $1500 for an untested and new LAM from a relatively inexperienced company? I'll pass.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:
Their surefire LEP heads are cool because they provide D2 like illumination for less than $300.

But $1500 for an untested and new LAM from a relatively inexperienced company? I'll pass.
View Quote

I wouldn't say Z-Bolt is inexperienced... IIRC the guy who owns and runs it was a design engineer at LDI even before they got bought by Steiner and worked on OTAL/ITAL/DBAL product lines including the D2. That's a pretty good rep and history.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 1:25:46 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Zbolt isn't a new company.

Everyone starts somewhere.

1500 dollar isn't exactly a giant chunk of change in this market.  I am not a first generation technology adopter but i'm sure that people will buy it and people will wring it out.  Zbolt has been developing this unit for a REALLY long time and I believe that it will be solid.  Only time will tell however.  Also, one other point to mention is that I believe the designer of the D2 worked on the ACAL.  The D2 is a fantastic unit so once again if the aforementioned statement is fact, that's a good thing.

In regard to Holosun.  They teased a post of a dude holding a rifle with some items on it blurred out.  On the front of the gun was a smaller unit that appeared to be an MFAL that didn't fit the form factor of their current units.  The post was on Instagram if you want to check it out.  I think that their employee "holosun-josh" posted the photo if I recall correctly.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 1:01:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KoreyKirsch] [#7]
I haven't tested the ACAL, but their BLAZER IR Illuminator is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 2:28:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#8]
Originally Posted By Magsz18:

1500 dollar isn't exactly a giant chunk of change in this market.  I am not a first generation technology adopter but i'm sure that people will buy it and people will wring it out.  Zbolt has been developing this unit for a REALLY long time and I believe that it will be solid.  Only time will tell however.  Also, one other point to mention is that I believe the designer of the D2 worked on the ACAL.  The D2 is a fantastic unit so once again if the aforementioned statement is fact, that's a good thing.

In regard to Holosun.  They teased a post of a dude holding a rifle with some items on it blurred out.  On the front of the gun was a smaller unit that appeared to be an MFAL that didn't fit the form factor of their current units.  The post was on Instagram if you want to check it out.  I think that their employee "holosun-josh" posted the photo if I recall correctly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This

Also, as long as it is less than 10oz I’m in for one. Everything else about it looks great, just didn’t see any listed weight specs.

They went as far as putting a separate vis override port on it, seems like they covered a lot of the major features that people want.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 2:48:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Defaultmp3] [#9]
Originally Posted By French1966:
Also, as long as it is less than 10oz I’m in for one. Everything else about it looks great, just didn’t see any listed weight specs.
View Quote
Specifications tab say it's 8.5 oz/241 g.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 6:41:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#10]
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Defaultmp3:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By French1966:

Totally missed that.

That’s a very competitive weight. I’m very interested now
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 5:15:41 AM EDT
[#12]
There's a lot to love.  At least from what Zbolt has released so far.

VCSEL illuminator performance looks pretty awesome.  I'm stoked to see how it compares to my MAWL's.  I don't have a pressing need for another MFAL right now but I may pick one up once we have a final release version publicly available.  I don't want to be a first gen adopter but the thing really does look neat.

My only real gripe is that the form factor seems kind of "large".  The weight seems really nice but i'd prefer if the thing was NGAL size.  Given the price point of the NGAL, i'm willing to abide by having a slightly larger unit lol.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#13]
My only real gripe is that the form factor seems kind of "large".  The weight seems really nice but i'd prefer if the thing was NGAL size.  Given the price point of the NGAL, i'm willing to abide by having a slightly larger unit lol.
View Quote
Seems like it's a DBAL-D2 but with most everything right of the rail chopped off.

Ergos are my main concern. I've only ever used the top rotary dial selector, so not sure how the dial on the back is to use under NODs. Also curious as to how easy the fire button will be to hit given that it's offset pretty far to the left.

Definitely seems like a much better mousetrap overall compared to the Designate IR-V, while being noticeably cheaper. Hopefully they'll actually be able to stick with the price and timetable they've put out.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Ohhh, I am full on board this hype train my friends.

Long, and I mean long have I wanted a civilian VCSEL unit in this project price range and so far I like every single thing I'm seeing about the ACAL.  So, hopes are very high and I'm not one of those "too cool for school" guys to pretend like I'm not really hyped about this thing.

Normally, I tell myself I'm not going to be a first run adopter of something, but man it's probably an impossibility for me to pass one of these up when they first come out. I'll probably jump on the first one I can get and then if I like probably end up buying a second one later on.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Seems like it's a DBAL-D2 but with most everything right of the rail chopped off.

Ergos are my main concern. I've only ever used the top rotary dial selector, so not sure how the dial on the back is to use under NODs. Also curious as to how easy the fire button will be to hit given that it's offset pretty far to the left.

Definitely seems like a much better mousetrap overall compared to the Designate IR-V, while being noticeably cheaper. Hopefully they'll actually be able to stick with the price and timetable they've put out.
View Quote

Well, maybe its popularity will help push EOTech with their OGL and other units like the Designate IR-V to come down in price a bit?
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:33:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Hope this is able to meet that $1500 price point and not blow past that like EOTech did with their OGL and price it out of consideration for many.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:26:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:
Hope this is able to meet that $1500 price point and not blow past that like EOTech did with their OGL and price it out of consideration for many.
View Quote

I think Zbolt would die from shame. A big part of their marketing push has been "$1500, we promise".
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Well, EOTech gave their low price point in some YouTube interview.  Whereas ZBolt has been on all their social media stressing that it's going to be $1500 nonstop and really placing an emphasis on that promise.  Soooo, hopefully that's what it comes out for at release.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By KoreyKirsch:
I haven't tested the ACAL, but their BLAZER IR Illuminator is awesome.
View Quote

They have a VCSEL Blazer head coming out this spring. Just a few more bucks than the LED Blazer Illuminator.

Or did you get one of these new VCSEL Blazers to field test??
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:26:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KoreyKirsch] [#21]
Originally Posted By LowplainsWindage:

They have a VCSEL Blazer head coming out this spring. Just a few more bucks than the LED Blazer Illuminator.

Or did you get one of these new VCSEL Blazers to field test??
View Quote

I tested and use their standard IR Illuminator. I use it currently on my helmet for long range viewing/scanning and at times use it with a diffuser for medium to short range work also.

I shoot with thermal so don’t need it on a weapon but they work for that too. One of the awesome things about their setup is, they can be used on a helmet, as a handheld, or on a weapon or all of the above.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 3:44:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Magsz18] [#22]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
Sounds like summer, just to temper any "I saw it on a video from Shot show so it must be available to order now" thoughts.
View Quote

Take this with a grain of salt.

I think on their social media, they were hinting that they would be shipping production units right after Shot Show.  I think they went on to say that they can produce something like 200-300 of these a month.  I want to say I saw a post from them quoting March 2024 but I may be remembering that incorrectly.

We will see.

RE: The rear rotary dial.  I've used a Dbal A3 and the Holosun products.  It's not hard to "pinch and turn" with your support hand.  The biggest issue is the need to memorize what's what.

On my PEQ15, I run the dial all the way to "max" and call it a day going from Vis to IR.  I don't have issues on my MAWL's because everything is tactile.  The "worst" part about the MAWL is going from Vis to IR by rotating the bezel.  Everything else on the MAWL is extremely tactile.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, I'm interested. The civilian market badly needs more decent options in the sub-$2k price range. Slapping MAWL and NGAL type price tags on something just because it's VCSEL is a dick move (I'm looking at you, Eotech).
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I was going off this email received Wednesday-

View Quote

There we have it.  Your info is far more solid than mine.  Thank you Robert.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 4:29:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Who knows if it will hold accurate, these Shot show new offerings are usually WAAAAY behind from every manufacturer.

View Quote

I think I saw on instagram they're expecting a q3 launch, whether that means early or late q3? Who knows?
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Will:

I’ve personally been in contact with them for a while on this.

First step is they need to make preproduction units for testing. That hasn’t happened yet.

It’s too early to speculate when it’ll actually be something you can buy.

We’ve been down this road many times and even when something appears to be a “sure thing” eta wise it can bite you in the ass.

There are unknowns that can happen such as preproduction testing leads to design changes or issues during production that cause delays.
View Quote

That's shocking, considering how long it's been since they first teased this line of products (1, 2 years?) and all of the iterations and changes they've shown on their Instagram page lately.

Holosun has hinted they have a VCSEL unit coming at some point, more info in a week. Z-Bolt needs to beat them to mass production.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#30]
If it hung off the right side I'd be much more excited.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:25:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DDS87] [#31]
Originally Posted By laxman09:
If it hung off the right side I'd be much more excited.
View Quote

I had that critique as well, I can only guess this way worked best for having the lasers over the bore and getting the button/switches into a good position for right-handers. They currently list an ACAL Integrated ADM Scout Light Mount on their website but I haven't seen renderings of that, might help keep things more compact. I'm not sure why the illuminator part of the housing is so massive for a VCSEL unit, either.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#32]

I think Zbolt would die from shame. A big part of their marketing push has been "$1500, we promise".
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:

Well, EOTech gave their low price point in some YouTube interview.  Whereas ZBolt has been on all their social media stressing that it's going to be $1500 nonstop and really placing an emphasis on that promise.  Soooo, hopefully that's what it comes out for at release.

I hope you guys are right. I’m just saying the EOTech OGL gave me a bad taste in my mouth when a company comes out with a decent product and competitive price point, and then fumble the ball by raising the price from $1200 up to $3000.

Not saying ZBolt is going to do this. I just hope they don’t fall victim to that as well.

Holosun is dropping more info on their product next week. Let’s see who can get what the consumers demand first.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 5:08:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Does anyone know whether ZBolt has FDA approval for the civilian version?

My understanding based on conversations regarding the EOTech OGL is that is probably the biggest hurdle for releasing one.

I've also heard speculation for years about Holosun doing a VCSEL. It will be interesting to see what they have to announce this year.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 10:21:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Magsz18] [#35]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
Does anyone know whether ZBolt has FDA approval for the civilian version?

My understanding based on conversations regarding the EOTech OGL is that is probably the biggest hurdle for releasing one.

I've also heard speculation for years about Holosun doing a VCSEL. It will be interesting to see what they have to announce this year.
View Quote

Do manufacturers need government blessings to produce VCSEL units?  VCSEL units aren't restricted.

I have no clue how the inner workings occur regarding this tech.  I've heard mention of the term "laser variance" but i'm not sure specifically what that refers to.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:05:53 AM EDT
[#36]

Do manufacturers need government blessings to produce VCSEL units?  VCSEL units aren't restricted.

I have no clue how the inner workings occur regarding this tech.  I've heard mention of the term "laser variance" but i'm not sure specifically what that refers to.
View Quote

Restriction depends on how much power an individual VCSEL unit is putting out. For example, the NGAL is a restricted VCSEL laser, and the MAWL and RAIDs have restricted versions as well.

Code of Federal Regulations Title 21, Part 1010, Section 1010.4 Variances, referenced by the FDA regarding lasers.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:11:19 AM EDT
[#37]

It’s not a negative IMHO and they’re going about it the right way. That’s better than rushing it out.
View Quote

Definitely agreed that it's always best to get it right the first time and not use consumers for testing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:43:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By DDS87:

Restriction depends on how much power an individual VCSEL unit is putting out. For example, the NGAL is a restricted VCSEL laser, and the MAWL and RAIDs have restricted versions as well.

Code of Federal Regulations Title 21, Part 1010, Section 1010.4 Variances, referenced by the FDA regarding lasers.
View Quote

Makes sense.

If the output of the VCSEL unit does not surpass civilian levels, do they still need to ask permission to build?
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#39]
From ZBolt's Instagram's DM to me they did confirm that they will definitely have an ACAL on display at SHOT Show at their booth.

If you are attending SHOT Show or anyone you know is, please try to get some nice pictures of it and talk to their reps about it some so that you can share some intel here.  It would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Just remember - the reason the MAWL FDA Legal Illuminator (C1+) looks so good, is because there is an array of SEVEN of them in there. VCSEL means a lot of things - brighter at the same FDA limit - isn't one of them. Anybody putting out a device with VCSEL, needs to use an array like BEM, or it's going to be as anemic as the single diode Edge Emitting Illuminators currently.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:36:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Defaultmp3] [#41]
I'm not sure why the illuminator part of the housing is so massive for a VCSEL unit, either.
View Quote
Probably to give it the range of focus they're after. The NGAL and OGL both advertise illuminator divergences that open up to ~105 mrad (~15 and ~23 at their tightest, respectively). The ACAL is advertising 2° to 25°, which is ~35 mrad to ~436 mrad. Whether that level of divergence is needed, well, that's a different story (especially since that almost certainly is purely mechanical, and does not include the VWS diffuser).
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Probably to give it the range of focus they're after. The NGAL and OGL both advertise illuminator divergences that open up to ~105 mrad (~15 and ~23 at their tightest, respectively). The ACAL is advertising 2° to 25°, which is ~35 mrad to ~436 mrad. Whether that level of divergence is needed, well, that's a different story (especially since that almost certainly is purely mechanical, and does not include the VWS diffuser).
View Quote

Sheesh, yeah that makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Any more updates on this? Was this suppose to be a 2024 release?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Any more updates on this? Was this suppose to be a 2024 release?
View Quote

Their Instagram is the best way to keep track of updates (same with most other products in this industry). Latest word is "roughly 4th quarter" 2024 release.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Their Instagram is the best way to keep track of updates (same with most other products in this industry). Latest word is "roughly 4th quarter" 2024 release.
View Quote

Yes, Q4 is what they're making public right now.

As optimistic and hyped I am for the ACAL I don't think we're going to actually get a release until 2025, probably hear something we could put more stock in somewhere around SHOT Show 2025. I doubt we'll see the Holosun VCSEL this year either though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#47]

When there is real actual news worthwhile to share, we will post it
View Quote

Thanks!  I'm really jazzed about this thing.  I also like the attitude of Zbolt, they seem to be listening to feedback and really focused on giving the civilian market what it has long wanted. Zbolt also seems like they're really open to working with others in the industry.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top