Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2024 8:54:13 PM EDT
It falls short a bit, but it is a great idea.
Crimp die.

I am trying to make it simple and cheap to reload. I did buy their reloading kit, which comes with a crimp die, brass checks to cover the powder and some blank cases. for $100.

You still have to deprime the case. The case mouth is rolled in, so you need to flare it back out. They also sell a flaring die for $80 more, but it does not deprime it either.

I was going to use a .38/.357 Lee die set I have but the case mouth is rolled in to about .285 and the die can only flare from about .350. So it is not even close to fitting. Hmm unless I make a tool to flare them one at a time.... or make a smaller expanding tool for the Lee die.

Also I have posted on their FB page a question about using the gas check to fit a nylon case. It looks like he did not understand the question. The gas check diameter is .357 and the flash hole in a nylon case is .265. If you fire it, either the gas check with crush (doubtful) or it will shatter a larger hole through the nylon flash hole. The aluminum cases I have, have even a smaller flash hole. I guess I could drill them all out larger. Anyone use the kit?

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#1]
The burst disks are always smaller than the flash hole. Usually they fold up or get blown apart to fit through the hole.

The purpose is to build up higher pressure in the case and get complete powder burn, rather than just blowing powder all around
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds good... I just hate to damage cases if I don't have to.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had an aluminum case or two "prolapse" when the burst disc got stuck in the flash hole. I ended up drilling out the flash hole, but honestly, a little hesitant to use burst disc blanks in small flash hole cases; I opt for cardboard or star crimp in those.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NAM:
I have had an aluminum case or two "prolapse" when the burst disc got stuck in the flash hole. I ended up drilling out the flash hole, but honestly, a little hesitant to use burst disc blanks in small flash hole cases; I opt for cardboard or star crimp in those.
View Quote

The aluminum ones I have, have about a 3/32 flash hole. Pretty tiny. Maybe just a bit bigger than an 1/8".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top