Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2023 12:39:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-]
Wondering how it looks next to FDE.

ETA: It’s my new favorite color. Is it FDE? Is it tan? Is it brown? Well, it’s all of them. Plays very nice with tanodized parts.

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#1]
No but curious as to looks. This may not be believable or maybe it is a coincidence but I had a customer requested black to be added to burnt bronze and in his facebook post he called it midnight bronze. A few years later Cerakote was selling it by that name.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OG1:
No but curious as to looks. This may not be believable or maybe it is a coincidence but I had a customer requested black to be added to burnt bronze and in his facebook post he called it midnight bronze. A few years later Cerakote was selling it by that name.
View Quote

My Cerakote guy was doing “blackened bronze” at one point too.

I also had him do a custom mix of midnight bronze and FDE to match this anodized handguard. Unfortunately he lost the mix ratio after a couple years. Absolutely love the color but having an existing color is convenient.

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Man that thing is freaking awesome!
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:47:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#4]
Originally Posted By OG1:
Man that thing is freaking awesome!
View Quote

Thanks!

My guy should be done coating mine soon. In searching I’ve seen quite a variance in the color. These are both listed as smoked bronze. If it’s a lighting variance that would be awesome, but I’m not going to assume that. Both look quite a bit like anodizing.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#5]
This color is epic. It’s 50 shades on its own. Looks a lot like anodizing until you get really close to it. Definitely my new go to for 50 shades of FDE builds.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Very Nice!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#7]
In that picture I thought there was a dark spot under the shell deflector. Nope. It’s just really that chameleon of a color. In the dark it’s really dark. In the light it’s really light. I’m actually perplexed on how they pulled this off.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
This color is epic. It’s 50 shades on its own. Looks a lot like anodizing until you get really close to it. Definitely my new go to for 50 shades of FDE builds.

https://i.ibb.co/K7qXLTN/0-AA98791-36-F6-4367-A854-CF08-C9-CF72-E2.jpg
View Quote

That looks great! I assume it was the upper and lower that you got done?
PM sent for more info
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:35:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dana] [#9]
This color looks nice. I need to get this hand guard dome for "50 shades" type build using this upper. Lower will be built on this Geissele lower with the DDC buffer and new FDE stock . I have all the parts but the handguard is needed to pull it together. Maybe scope mount and optics will get done once I finalize it all.

PS the rattle can lower is really for my Grendel. The whole thing is rattle can. I just have it on there to test the upper.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:14:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#10]
Originally Posted By dana:
This color looks nice. I need to get this hand guard dome for "50 shades" type build using this upper. Lower will be built on this Geissele lower with the DDC buffer and new FDE stock . I have all the parts but the handguard is needed to pull it together. Maybe scope mount and optics will get done once I finalize it all.
https://i.imgur.com/ZV8VNKg.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QDcK3DU.jpg

PS the rattle can lower is really for my Grendel. The whole thing is rattle can. I just have it on there to test the upper.
https://i.imgur.com/j2lmNI2.jpg
View Quote

I think the smoked bronze would be right at home. Just comparing mine I don’t think there’s an earth color it would clash with.

ETA: Heres how it looks in low light. It is really reactive to surrounding light. Looks like a totally different color.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Monday this goes out for a coat of smoked bronze.

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:19:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#12]
Done. Next up is a Ruger SFAR with a DDC Geissele rail and smoked bronze receivers and buffer tube. I may have a problem.

Here you can see just how much this color changes based on light. The AR receivers and P226 are both the same color.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Done. Next up is a Ruger SFAR with a DDC Geissele rail and smoked bronze receivers and buffer tube. I may have a problem.

https://i.ibb.co/d0RpQDC/86-C6761-D-E035-4-B52-9071-1-A96-CEC72-C5-B.jpg
View Quote

Looks great! Who do you have do the work and what’s their cost like? Might be looking yo have a CMT DRT rail done
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 7:41:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#14]
Originally Posted By jjv101:

Looks great! Who do you have do the work and what’s their cost like? Might be looking yo have a CMT DRT rail done
View Quote

Midwest Firearm Solutions. He charges $90 for rails, but keep in mind he does it right. Blasts to rough it up without removing anodizing where as most places just spray right over it.

The AR build above came about because of my hideous maroon CMT DRT rail. I gave up on the damn thing and just bought another rail.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Another one, this time a three-oh-hate.

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I just ordered a bottle of smoke bronze because of this thread. Awesome work.

Got blush and cranberry frost coming too. Going for a crazy hawaiian camouflage with all those and the crocodile I used on my tisas.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 1:53:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#18]
Originally Posted By SV650Squid:

Not the best at picture taking, but I like it a lot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SV650Squid:

Not the best at picture taking, but I like it a lot.

Looks badass. Good highlight of the color changing element too. Gave you a follow too.

Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:
I just ordered a bottle of smoke bronze because of this thread. Awesome work.

Got blush and cranberry frost coming too. Going for a crazy hawaiian camouflage with all those and the crocodile I used on my tisas.

Please share when done!
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Please share when done!
View Quote

Posting a teaser because this place doesn't get much traffic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Posting a teaser because this place doesn't get much traffic.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180908/20230827_164502_jpg-2934155.JPG
View Quote

How’d it turn out? If the pistol brace gets shot down I’m going to rebuild my shorty with a DDC Geissele rail and you guessed it already most likely, Cerakote smoked bronze.

Better SFAR pic.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#21]

How’d it turn out? If the pistol brace gets shot down I’m going to rebuild my shorty with a DDC Geissele rail and you guessed it already most likely, Cerakote smoked bronze.

Better SFAR pic.
https://i.ibb.co/2SsXtQV/EA8-F083-B-0932-454-C-BD62-7-A3581-D19-AF2.jpg
View Quote

Haven't had much free time so didn't paint it yet. I did manage to get the high temp vinyl to my friend this weekend so he can cut some stencils. I think I change my mind every week when I'm trying to envision what I want from this.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#22]
@-OdieGreen-

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I'll take some more pictures tomorrow after I get it back together.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 12:11:36 AM EDT
[#23]
@-OdieGreen-

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180908/20231104_170254_jpg-3016073.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180908/20231104_213826_jpg-3016074.JPG

I'll take some more pictures tomorrow after I get it back together.
View Quote

Turned out great! Maybe I should add some flowers to mine.

I might have one more in smoked bronze coming down the pipeline. Thinking of doing my 92X Centurion in it, but after that probably going to jump back to some other colors. Three of my last five gun projects were SB.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The lights in the hanger made it difficult to see the difference between the smoked bronze vs the midnight bronze. I really wanted more smoked in there I just couldn't see the edges when spraying.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 12:34:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RiverSwine45] [#25]

Turned out great! Maybe I should add some flowers to mine.

I might have one more in smoked bronze coming down the pipeline. Thinking of doing my 92X Centurion in it, but after that probably going to jump back to some other colors. Three of my last five gun projects were SB.
View Quote

Thanks.

Come on over, there's almost a whole sheet of flowers left over. I'll fix you up.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Is that actually yellow or is it tape? Curious to see how the rifle turned out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Is that actually yellow or is it tape? Curious to see how the rifle turned out.
View Quote

Just stencils. Somehow I lost some detents and springs so it may take some time before it's back together. There's 6 totes full of holiday decorations with no lids on them sitting here. I'm sure they landed in one or two of them

Smoked bronze, crocodile and midnight bronze

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Back together now

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 2:59:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Back together now

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180908/20231209_081540_jpg-3054229.JPG
View Quote

Looks dang good!
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 5:06:07 AM EDT
[#31]

https://i.ibb.co/d0RpQDC/86-C6761-D-E035-4-B52-9071-1-A96-CEC72-C5-B.jpg

Here you can see just how much this color changes based on light. The AR receivers and P226 are both the same color.

https://i.ibb.co/DDKSsx4/FDBF3-D6-F-DA18-447-F-BAAC-86-E205-DDBCAF.jpg
View Quote

Those look great! I've been thinking about having an AR-15 Cerakoted in bronze.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:39:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I put an Sig Cross stock on my SPEAR. I think I’m going yo have it finished in Smoked Bronze H-359, it looks like it’ll be a good match to the OEM SPEAR color.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top