Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2024 8:14:48 PM EDT
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1039635833

CCF post ban repair / replacement parts kit assembled on CCF post ban replacement lower.
The seller always has super cool items but I fear it was unknowingly incorrectly described by the consignor.

Larry is awesome and responsive and I'm sure he will confirm if called upon.

-Team America

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Seller doesn't care unless egregiously wrong/incorrect.  GB doesn't care either because Top 50 seller
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:51:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PGT_0673:
Seller doesn't care unless egregiously wrong/incorrect.  GB doesn't care either because Top 50 seller
View Quote
Seller accepts CC though (with a 4% fee) and the CC company will care. The buyer can initiate a chargeback claim if an item isn't as advertised, and then the buyer is likely getting their $ back whether the seller accepts a return of the item or not. (Of course the buyer should attempt it by contacting the seller first however.)

I know this firsthand because I had to deal with it last week (also from a GunBroker purchase) but fortunately the seller did finally come through and give me a full refund so I'm cancelling the chargeback claim against them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:13:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Apec] [#3]
There are two main types of Keystone Arms buyers

1 - people whose approach to collecting is throwing money at whatever they see, without actually knowing/caring what they are getting
2 - their shills, when they end up outbidding real buyers (if you didn't already know, it is easy for sellers to weasel out of fees for an auction without filing a nonpaying bid claim against their shills)

I think a chargeback is theoretically possible, but only if the buyer doesn't fall into either of these categories - where it's currently priced, that isn't likely.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:30:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#4]
The description is priceless:

this highly coveted Extrmely Rare Sig SG 551-1 SP imported by CCF of Richmond, VA!!

This incredible example remains in great collector condition as the many detailed photos clearly show!!

The Upper & Lower are 10 Serial Numbers Apart and was more than likely a mistake that happen during import!!

This offering is complete with the original styrofoam box as shown!!

It’s a parts gun. And that particular gun has been up for sale a few times publicly over the years iirc.

Larry refused to sell matching kits and uppers, so unless one got lucky and found the matching kit or receiver, all of the guns assembled from CCF imported receivers will have mismatched carrier, bolt, and lower. The parts kits included the styrofoam box with serial number and the outer cardboard sleeve.

The only numbers matching CCF 551 I’ve seen was owned by Larry’s business partner in CCF Race Frames. I was offered that as a complete rifle around 2011.

I’ve had about half a dozen CCF 551 receivers in my hands, about the same number of 551-1 LB parts kits.

I still have a parts gun 551 sbr that I built using a CCF imported receiver, non matching parts kit, and a new takeoff 551-2 short barrel. I spent a decade trying to find the matching lower and bolt group, gave up looking.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks nice, not cheap though. I have a hard time spending that much on a semi-auto. Always liked the Sig 55x series. But between the price of the gun and the price of the mags, it's hard to justify. Especially on models with fixed muzzle devices. No good for suppressor hosts.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#6]
If you’re looking for a suppressor host, 55X (or at least that set of variants) are the wrong wheelhouse. The appeal in them mostly lies in their original/retro configurations to begin with.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#7]
When this auction first appeared, I contacted them and told them exactly what it was.  I did not get a response from them.

As Josh said above, those of us that have one of Larry's mismatched 551s is always looking for the upper/lower to make everything match.  066 or 126 would be nice.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Apec:
If you’re looking for a suppressor host, 55X (or at least that set of variants) are the wrong wheelhouse. The appeal in them mostly lies in their original/retro configurations to begin with.
View Quote

Testify!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:11:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stg45] [#9]
Turned mine into a post sample.

That brings back some great memories chasing that project.

I bought my 551LB kit from Todd from the old Ohio Rapid Fire.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#10]
These rifles were all parts guns and keystone doesn’t give a crap.  It’s the way they were imported.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:07:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PGT_0673] [#11]
I snagged a CCF on GB a couple years ago...I think Josh sent me the link if memory serves.  It needed some work to make it work properly (the rear take-down pin was ruined due to the upper boss being tweaked)

on the left compared to a new JDI 550P;

straightened:

Came with a STACK of mags too

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Here was one of mine that is long gone….

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By PGT_0673:
I snagged a CCF on GB a couple years ago...I think Josh sent me the link if memory serves.  It needed some work to make it work properly (the rear take-down pin was ruined due to the upper boss being tweaked)

https://i.imgur.com/IjVMJ69h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zWXWebJh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Unvdkhzl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rhmVM0Em.jpg

on the left compared to a new JDI 550P;

https://i.imgur.com/FQQPxzll.png

straightened:

https://i.imgur.com/oqu3kI5l.jpg

Came with a STACK of mags too

https://i.imgur.com/APZH85el.jpg
View Quote

That was an absolute steal. I didn’t send you the link. We were both following it and I didn’t bid because I saw that you were bidding.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Wow!  This pieces-n-parts CCF 551 sold for $7500+.  Unbelievable.

Now Keystone is offering a real 550-2SP for $20K.  My heart, be still.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:25:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hobo] [#15]
Originally Posted By MG34_Dan:

https://assets.gunbroker.com/pics/1039635000/1039635833/pix502693596.jpg
View Quote

Stunning to say the least.
I've seen one of the main bidders around the water cooler over the years. I'm pretty sure he was not a shill.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:51:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#16]
When this auction first appeared, I contacted them and told them exactly what it was.  I did not get a response from them.

As Josh said above, those of us that have one of Larry's mismatched 551s is always looking for the upper/lower to make everything match.  066 or 126 would be nice.

View Quote

Not surprising that they didn’t respond. Keystone knew exactly what they had.

Crazy that it sold for $7500. Though even with mismatched serial numbers, I’d still put a CCF parts gun 551 ahead of recent pistol imports as far as collectibility.

I lost interest in finding my receiver’s matching parts kit or the matching receiver to my kit. I considered taking one of my unserialized Swiss bolt groups and having them lasered to match my receiver, but the juice isn’t worth the squeeze and with time the mismatch no longer bothers me.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:10:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sgthatred] [#17]
The butt stock pad is bad on it and the charging handle as well. So some one better have budgeted a few hundred more to get it into at least semi decent shape.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
...and with time the mismatch no longer bothers me.
View Quote

My favorite SIG 55X series rifle is my mismatched JDI import 551 LB.  The upper receiver left the factory as one of the ten 551 LB conversion kits JDI received in 2019.  I bought the lower receiver from JDI in 2018 when I ordered the upper.  The bolt group is a 2012 vintage that I picked up from Gatewood.  None of the dates or serial numbers match, and it no longer bothers me.      
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#19]
That's the odd thing about marked parts; many guns don't use them and we never think twice about it.  Others are marked and never matched from the factory and people get confused by those because they're used to seeing matched serial guns.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#20]

https://assets.gunbroker.com/pics/1039635000/1039635833/pix502693596.jpg

Now Keystone is offering a real 550-2SP for $20K.  My heart, be still.

https://assets.gunbroker.com/pics/1025015000/1025015125/pix944567421.jpg
View Quote

Is there a reason I would spend 15.5K more on this than my JDI import I bought last year from JDI?
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By vellnueve:

Is there a reason I would spend 15.5K more on this than my JDI import I bought last year from JDI?
View Quote

It’s a pre-89 rifle that has no 922(r) fuckery, while JDI imports are pistols and have said 922(r) fuckery.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:18:48 PM EDT
[#22]

It’s a pre-89 rifle that has no 922(r) fuckery, while JDI imports are pistols and have said 922(r) fuckery.
View Quote

Thanks.

15.5K buys a bunch of 922r parts donors, though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:40:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Thanks.

15.5K buys a bunch of 922r parts donors, though.
View Quote

True. But it also makes the 922(r) compliant guns less collectible if that matters. As a shooter, it doesn’t matter. Ultimately I suspect the majority of the 68 GCA will be struck down by SCOTUS as unconstitutional. And in time all Swiss 55x will be highly collectible regardless of import status.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Up to whether someone wants a shooter or collector. At the end of the day, both guns are imported with 100% Swiss parts, the latter just needs a stock.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:24:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#25]
Originally Posted By Apec:

Up to whether someone wants a shooter or collector. At the end of the day, both guns are imported with 100% Swiss parts, the latter just needs a stock.
View Quote

Exactly re: collector vs. shooter. I fall into both categories.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#26]
I use to enjoy GB, but they're no better than eBay now.  As long as they get their fee and their "compliance fee" (WTF is that) they really do not care about you at all.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:
I use to enjoy GB, but they're no better than eBay now.  As long as they get their fee and their "compliance fee" (WTF is that) they really do not care about you at all.
View Quote

I don’t begrudge Gunbroker for that. If you’re going to buy collectible things, you either need to know the market or have access to people with expertise, do proper diligence, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top