Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2024 1:36:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jimmyjoebob]
Finally back into the Aug family, PSA got me with the sale price on the 24 inch LMG.
Z
Doing my homework and a lot has changed, looking to add the grip rail and sear from 2020 Precision, it seems the only place that sells them is Ratworx and both are out of stock, any other places to buy them or is Ratworx the exclusive?

James
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:19:00 AM EDT
[#1]
pretty sure Ratworx is the actual manufacturer.

Also,looks like they are in stock to me.

https://store.ratworxusa.com/products/accessories-steyr-990000005357-20-tsm-auga3-2545
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:28:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Well dang , could have sworn it was out of stock earlier , thanks!
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#3]
How hard it this sear to install? With the AUG trigger pack being all plastic, does installing a metal sear .vs plastic hammer cause any issues with wear?

I would love to improve my AUG trigger. Was thinking about a Geissele trigger pack if they ever go on sale ...
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:51:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
How hard it this sear to install? With the AUG trigger pack being all plastic, does installing a metal sear .vs plastic hammer cause any issues with wear?

I would love to improve my AUG trigger. Was thinking about a Geissele trigger pack if they ever go on sale ...
View Quote

Some effort, but doable to those mechanically included to do basic home service on their guns.  If you can install a trigger into an AR15, you can do this (and FWIW, installing a trigger into an AR15 is kind of a bitch for the layman to easily do).  Just follow the instructions.  And no, there's no plastic-wear. I have thousands of rounds on mine.  

As to Geissele, they built some protypes for testing - but never sold them, and have spent a decade saying it's still a project.  I would expect a Geissele AUG trigger pack to coincide with Steyr's announcing of their 6.5 Grendel AUG.  Which is to say - never.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Ratworx does not make the 2020 products. 2020 precision is a very small operation that sends the product they make to ratworx because ratworx was the only company willing to take a chance on 2020 back in the day. They have an agreement and stick with ratworx.

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I sent multiple modified hammerpacks to geiselle back in 2017. Geiselle tried to make a hammerpack that would not only be what people expect of a geiselle product but also be safe. I was told directly by geiselle and also steyr that the geiselle prototype hammerpacks failed drop safe testing. I assume they shelved the project. A few years later geiselle sent me back my hammerpacks and five years later there’s still no geiselle hammerpack. I wouldn’t hold my breath.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 80085:
Ratworx does not make the 2020 products. 2020 precision is a very small operation that sends the product they make to ratworx because ratworx was the only company willing to take a chance on 2020 back in the day. They have an agreement and stick with ratworx.

View Quote

OH!  I did not know that.  The company name is an obvious off-shoot of SKUNKWORKS and I was under the impression they actually designed and made all their own stuff.  Thank you for the clarification on that!
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Also no wear on my TSM installed hammerpacks.

One of my guns has a TSM that was bought less than a week after its debut in 2013. No wear. No issues. Works just as well as day 1.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

OH!  I did not know that.  The company name is an obvious off-shoot of SKUNKWORKS and I was under the impression they actually designed and made all their own stuff.  Thank you for the clarification on that!
View Quote

No worries. I do think they design and make some limited items. I had one of their **very unique** chain drive automatic knives, now long discontinued I believe.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:30:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 80085:
I sent multiple modified hammerpacks to geiselle back in 2017. Geiselle tried to make a hammerpack that would not only be what people expect of a geiselle product but also be safe. I was told directly by geiselle and also steyr that the geiselle prototype hammerpacks failed drop safe testing. I assume they shelved the project. A few years later geiselle sent me back my hammerpacks and five years later there’s still no geiselle hammerpack. I wouldn’t hold my breath.
View Quote

Interesting.  AUGs and drop-test behavior is a rather storied.. story.  I'm not convinced the AUG factory triggers, can really pass all the drop tests as-is even (Australian Helicopter incident).  And am curious how a 2020 sear, or a 2020 sear plus red springs, or just red springs, all compare.  I'd love to see a comparison test on that.  I guess i'm not that convinced the G. trigger pack really is that much more unsafe than the other common options out there being done.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Interesting.  AUGs and drop-test behavior is a rather storied.. story.  I'm not convinced the AUG factory triggers, can really pass all the drop tests as-is even (Australian Helicopter incident).  And am curious how a 2020 sear, or a 2020 sear plus red springs, or just red springs, all compare.  I'd love to see a comparison test on that.  I guess i'm not that convinced the G. trigger pack really is that much more unsafe than the other common options out there being done.
View Quote

100% in agreement with you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Just an FYI I found another avenue that doesn’t require pulling a pack apart.

https://shops.titusarms.com/products/aug-ar-15-fcg-conversion-pack

May go this route for just a few bucks more
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Some effort, but doable to those mechanically included to do basic home service on their guns.  If you can install a trigger into an AR15, you can do this (and FWIW, installing a trigger into an AR15 is kind of a bitch for the layman to easily do).  Just follow the instructions.  And no, there's no plastic-wear. I have thousands of rounds on mine.  

As to Geissele, they built some protypes for testing - but never sold them, and have spent a decade saying it's still a project.  I would expect a Geissele AUG trigger pack to coincide with Steyr's announcing of their 6.5 Grendel AUG.  Which is to say - never.
View Quote

Wow. OK, thanks for the info. Everyone else also.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jimmyjoebob:
Just an FYI I found another avenue that doesn’t require pulling a pack apart.

https://shops.titusarms.com/products/aug-ar-15-fcg-conversion-pack

May go this route for just a few bucks more
View Quote

That's a new one to me - and looks very interesting.  I'd love for you post how it goes.  That price-point sure is appealing, but mechanically it has my interest as well - as the AUG trigger system really isn't a very good one for just semi-auto usage anyway.  Please followup with it.  And as best able, even do a couple drop tests?  (perhaps while unloaded though )
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:28:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jimmyjoebob] [#15]

That's a new one to me - and looks very interesting.  I'd love for you post how it goes.  That price-point sure is appealing, but mechanically it has my interest as well - as the AUG trigger system really isn't a very good one for just semi-auto usage anyway.  Please followup with it.  And as best able, even do a couple drop tests?  (perhaps while unloaded though )
View Quote

I found them on the Reddit Aug page, owners says they have done a fair amount of drop testing with the safety engaged and not an issue, however with the safety off and the pack adjusted in  a specific manor it might fail . I will report back in a few weeks, i ordered a complete pack to do as a drop in.

Not sure I’ll do a whole lot of drop tests, bought the 24 inch LMG version 😁
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:39:29 AM EDT
[#16]

I found them on the Reddit Aug page, owners says they have done a fair amount of drop testing with the safety engaged and not an issue, however with the safety off and the pack adjusted in  a specific manor it might fail . I will report back in a few weeks, i ordered a complete pack to do as a drop in.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Why would the safety engagement matter at all?  All that does is block the trigger that's 1 foot away, from moving backwards enough to engage all the trigger parts in the trigger pack.  Do AUG's fail drop tests because the trigger moves?  I thought it was an internal item inside the packs themselves.  (but don't actually know that, just what I always assumed).
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:56:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Why would the safety engagement matter at all?  All that does is block the trigger that's 1 foot away, from moving backwards enough to engage all the trigger parts in the trigger pack.  Do AUG's fail drop tests because the trigger moves?  I thought it was an internal item inside the packs themselves.  (but don't actually know that, just what I always assumed).
View Quote

Still researching myself, I want the safest option possible, I figure starting with a whole trigger pack is the best way to go
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:00:53 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

No and yes.

The same failure can be applied to the AR style triggers in an AUG housing.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Start with the red trigger springs upgrade and then see if you even want to go to the 2020. All the 2020 does is change the subjective "feel" of the trigger  
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
Start with the red trigger springs upgrade and then see if you even want to go to the 2020. All the 2020 does is change the subjective "feel" of the trigger  
View Quote

I disagree.

The 2020 shortens the distance of trigger pull, shortens the distance of trigger reset, and provides a very sharp trigger break. You don’t get those measurable effects with the stock hammerpack nor the red springs.

If all you want is a lighter trigger weight of pull then the red springs are what one should buy.

To me, I’d take the 2020 TSM over the red springs. And I’d recommend cleaning up the trigger with the 2020 then going to the red springs if one still isn’t happy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top