Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2023 9:11:11 AM EDT
So, I'm kicking around the idea of selling my SCAR 17 and replacing it with a Sig Spear.  Then it occured to me that I took that white bar code sticker off the left side of the gun and I thought to myself, "Watch that be the kind of thing people make a big deal out of."

Does that "devalue" the gun in peoples minds, or do people usually peel that off?  

I remember seeing a "who keeps theirs on, who took theirs off" discussion about the sticker a long time ago.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#1]
After 1K rds and cleaning...it came off, dont care much.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#2]
How’s the finish underneath? If there’s no shadow or defect in the finish underneath you’re probably good to go.
just take the old sticker and put it with the other paperwork any future purchaser could always re-affix it later if it’s issue.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rubicon777:
How’s the finish underneath? If there’s no shadow or defect in the finish underneath you’re probably good to go.
just take the old sticker and put it with the other paperwork any future purchaser could always re-affix it later if it’s issue.
View Quote

The finish is fine.  I took it off almost immediately after I bought it.
I threw the sticker right in the garbage.  It never occured to me to keep it for any reason.  I really don't sell my guns, either, so I never thought I would consider selling this one or I probably would have stopped and thought about taking it off first.  I know people care about little things like that sometimes.  

I'm not worried about it or anything, though.  I was mostly just curious if people care about it, like how they'd probably care if its a Belgian vs US made SCAR.  If someone doesn't want to buy it because I took some stupid sticker off of it, they don't have to.  Someone else will.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve been thinking of having my 17 Cerakoted.
Would like to preserve the bar code sticker.
Has anyone successfully removed the sticker and put it back on without it looking like complete ass?
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#5]
There's this internet thing going about thinking their scar is cooler by removing that sticker, like it somehow makes you more of a badass.

In reality, it doesn't.

People say the sticker comes off with a cleaning etc so they just pull it off.  I'd like to know how you are cleaning your rifle to make that happen.  Almost all military issued mk17s I've seen with 10s of thousands of rounds mostly all have that sticker still intact.

Both my my scars with north of 30k rounds combined still have the stickers in tact.  

I do know personally of people that wont buy a belgium gun unless it's intact.  It's your rifle, do as you wish but don't believe half the internet.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By brodband8:
There's this internet thing going about thinking their scar is cooler by removing that sticker, like it somehow makes you more of a badass.

In reality, it doesn't.

People say the sticker comes off with a cleaning etc so they just pull it off.  I'd like to know how you are cleaning your rifle to make that happen.  Almost all military issued mk17s I've seen with 10s of thousands of rounds mostly all have that sticker still intact.

Both my my scars with north of 30k rounds combined still have the stickers in tact.  

I do know personally of people that wont buy a belgium gun unless it's intact.  It's your rifle, do as you wish but don't believe half the internet.
View Quote

I've never seen anyone make anything that comes close to a claim that removing that sticker means anything, let alone that it makes the gun cooler or that it makes them more of a badass.  I've only ever seen people that peel it off because they peeled it off.  I mean, I don't doubt you've seen a couple clowns make what could be considered a "big deal" out of removing the sticker.  It's not like thats the craziest thing I've seen people say, but let's not pretend there's some super prevelant ideaology brewing within the SCAR owning community regarding the removal of that sticker being more badass.  

You do, however, say that you know people that wouldn't buy one without it... so, that kind of suggests there's more of a community of people that think the sticker being on there makes the gun cooler and more badass, which I kind of suspected there would be.

But at least you ended whatever all that was with something relevant to the question.  So thank you.

As far as people claiming it came off from cleaning, and this is just a guess because I don't have a lot of experience with it, but if they use ultrasonic cleaners, maybe that would make the sticker loosen up.
Either that, or they're lying because there's more people that make a big deal out of it having to be on the gun so they don't want to get shit for taking it off.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I peeled that sticker off the day I got my SCAR.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#8]
stickers on guns are gross

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The lack of a sticker does not devalue the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 4:42:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CJSCARH] [#10]
Took mine off and its a Belgian
I dont think it matters
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine (Mar 2022 NRCH) had no "sticker" new in the box. Should I feel cheated??
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By l2a3:
Mine (Mar 2022 NRCH) had no "sticker" new in the box. Should I feel cheated??
View Quote

U.S. made guns don't have them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you for that bit of information.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 11:30:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSD13] [#14]
Originally Posted By FullMetalMike:

I've never seen anyone make anything that comes close to a claim that removing that sticker means anything, let alone that it makes the gun cooler or that it makes them more of a badass.  I've only ever seen people that peel it off because they peeled it off.  I mean, I don't doubt you've seen a couple clowns make what could be considered a "big deal" out of removing the sticker.  It's not like thats the craziest thing I've seen people say, but let's not pretend there's some super prevelant ideaology brewing within the SCAR owning community regarding the removal of that sticker being more badass.  

You do, however, say that you know people that wouldn't buy one without it... so, that kind of suggests there's more of a community of people that think the sticker being on there makes the gun cooler and more badass, which I kind of suspected there would be.

But at least you ended whatever all that was with something relevant to the question.  So thank you.

As far as people claiming it came off from cleaning, and this is just a guess because I don't have a lot of experience with it, but if they use ultrasonic cleaners, maybe that would make the sticker loosen up.
Either that, or they're lying because there's more people that make a big deal out of it having to be on the gun so they don't want to get shit for taking it off.
View Quote

Oh yeah it was a huge deal for a while.  Someone came up with the comparison that leaving that label on your SCAR was like leaving a price tag/store label on your hat and lots of sheep fell in-line thinking "I never had an opinion, but Jeepers, I don't want to look like a goober that leaves his tags on his hat."  The argument was stupid on its face, but that didn't matter.  The mil-cloners could see that label on every MK17 pic where it hadn't been worn off.  The only strong opinions were for peeling the label off and they always brought it up without anyone even asking.  The other side was like "eh, I never obsessed about the label before so I'm just going to leave it there until it wears or falls off."

Edited to add: But to your original question, some people like yourself probably just took if off because they wanted to.  I think most people don't care one way or the other.  It's the condition of the gun that matters most, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Its ugly. I took mine off. I wouldn’t care if it didn’t have it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Do you have a bar code reader, do you ever scan it?  Price check on aisle 5?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I didnt take mine off any of my FN s that had it, i dont know why.  

Wouldn’t bother me either way.

I think id pay about $20 more for a gun with the sticker never removed and in good shape.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:
Its ugly. I took mine off. I wouldn’t care if it didn’t have it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I have no idea honestly but can let you know that mine eventually came off as the adhesive became "gummy" and lost its stickiness after a while. I still kept the original sticker but personally do not care one way or another whether the rifle has it present or not. Having it is a nice tough I guess but it is not a big deal.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I would be more concerned with you selling your SCAR for a Sig product. I have no issue with you selling the SCAR, it's the getting a Sig product part I have concerns about.
This i believe is a bigger issue than the missing sticker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top