Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2024 10:06:32 PM EDT
If you were choosing between the two which would you buy first, the Marlin 336 or the Winchester 94 in 30-30 Winchester?
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:14:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cooper1] [#1]
Collector vs shtf..

Eta- I have marlins.  They're solid workhorses.  I would love to have a real Winchester for historical reasons,  but They're out of my price range.  The Winchester is smoother and more refined maybe.

The only other thing I can think of is scope mounting options.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I've owned both.

Liked the Winchester it was smooth, basic and hit where I aimed

Liked the marlin because it had a pistol grip stock and hit where I aimed.

Sold both at sometime or another to men whom wanted a lever deer rifle for their oldest child.

I've got a couple savage 99e 308wins and a 1895 cowboy 45/70 so my lever rifle needs are covered
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the 336 lever action smoothness and pistol grip stock better than the Winchester 94.  The Winchester 94 has a clunkier action that you need to run at speed to over ride the clunkiness.  (you shouldn’t slow work either of them)  The 94 Winchester is lighter, trimmer and carries better.

Pick your poison.   Old Marlins had nicer walnut.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I preferred the Winchester.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#5]
The Marlin is superior.  This hurts the feelings of the Winchester cultists.  You can still collect, enjoy and appreciate the history of the Winchester and recognize this simultaneously.  

Consider disassembly, durability and scope mounting.  The Winchester doesn't compare.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:33:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Winchester

Because is does not have microgroove rifling.

Shoots lead better
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:39:43 AM EDT
[#7]
The Winchester just seems so smooth, thinner and lighter. The Marlin is also smooth and is scope friendly..

A little more info on your plan for the gun would help.

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:58:20 AM EDT
[#8]
The Marlin 336 is bulkier and lacks the balance and handling of the Model 94.

All three of my pre 64 Model 94 carbines are 1.5 MOA five shot group accurate with Winchester factory 150 gr RNSP ammunition.

I’m also a fan of the rifle pattern Model 94.  The 26” barrel gives you about 140 fps more than the 20” carbine barrel, and they are superbly balanced for offhand shooting.

The Model 64 is a lot less common with only about 67,000 made and only about 10% of those were made with 20” barrels, but the 20” Model 64 rifle is a favorite of mine.

Link Posted: 1/29/2024 1:18:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Marlin.  Simpler and easier to clean and repair if needed.  As pointed out, scope mounting easier with Marlin.  Not sure if Ruger is making guns with Micro-groove rifling but nothing wrong with it; it will shoot as well as the Ballard style to include cast bullets.  I would avoid Marlin pattern rifles made by Remington like the plague.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 2:13:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Winchester

Because is does not have microgroove rifling.

Shoots lead better
View Quote

Lead has to be appropriately sized to work well with the microgroove.  

The 30/30 cartridge from the start was intended to be jacketed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 2:18:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I would avoid Marlin pattern rifles made by Remington like the plague.
View Quote

There are certainly some terrible examples made by Remington.  With the cost and availability of new ones though, a good deal on one of those bad ones could still be considered if the flaws are fixable.

Ideally, avoid even a later production real Marlin with the stupid cross bolt safety.  In all fairness though, attempting to stay in context of the original question, later production Winchesters had equally employed stupidity in them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Win 94 hands down, better handling &  looks.

336 is better for optics and mods.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I've owned both - a JM 336 XLR, and a newer Miroku 94 Sporter.

If you want an heirloom quality lever gun get the Winchester.  The Miroku made guns exude quality.  Only issue with them is mounting any sort of optic is a PITA.  Although I believe the newer 94s are angle eject, so it's not as hard as doing it on something like an 1886, 1895, etc.

If you want a quality hunting rifle that you can easily mount optics on then get the Marlin.

I had an 1886 Deluxe Octagon that was polished blue, and had grade IV walnut.  Bought it to hunt with and it never left my safe because it was too pretty and I ended up selling it a while back, and just recently got a new 1895 SBL to take the place it left that I actually am not worried about hunting with.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had both, and both will do the job. The posts above pretty much cover the important differences. I found the loading gate on the Marlin was sharp and designed to remove the tip of my thumb in cold weather. I still hunt and I often carry my rifle it in the crook of my arm. On the Marlin the pivot screw bump on the lower part of the receiver would dig into my arm. The Winchester doesn't do that.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#15]
If you talking new, I'd go with a Marlin. The rest is a toss up
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:33:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#16]
336 because angle eject and micro groove barrel.

And bar safeties are an abomination.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 1:40:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I’ve only had two Marlins and they both Marlin Jammed, and the 336 30-30 shot patterns that would rival a shotgun at 100 yards.

I have two Winchester 94s that shoot to POA at 100 and are dead nuts reliable so I kept them and sent the JMs down the road.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:04:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#18]
I like both. But you need to decide how you’re going to run them. Optics vs iron sights. The Marlin with the lever evolution will give you a bit more range and nip at the heels of the Savage 99 in .300 Savage. I sent a Remlin to JS bore service and had him ream the bore and rechamber it to .356 win and that is my favorite woods rifle. But I did had to polish the action including the lifter and lever to get it to my liking. And as stated above I literally despise the cross bolt safety. I would love to have a pre 64 Winchester 94 with 24 or 26 inch barrel. But I just can’t afford them when I find them. I would also keep my eyes open for a Savage 99 in any caliber.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Winchester 94 was the very first firearm I ever bought.

Wanted something classic, lightweight, common use, ammo availability, tht wouldn't attract unwant3d attention.

Then the 1994 AWB rolled around and I traded it for a Colt sporter lightweight for all the same, or similar, reasons AND because Clinton and Biden said no.

The Marlin is objectively of better quality and durability(of that era), but John Wayne wasn't using a 336 in Rio Bravo.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Straight stock 336 (aka: the Texan).

I like Winchester '94s from a historical and aesthetic perspective, but from a practical standpoint, I don't like the throw of the lever and how the guts of the gun drop down while cycling.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#21]
336. Heavier built, easier to work on, and the trigger is much better.

94 is a PITA to work on and the transfer bar hammer and shitty trigger ruin the feeling of shooting the gun for me. It is a pretty looking and slick gun though.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:12:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pokey074] [#22]
After owning new/recent examples of both, 336 all the way. Crossbolt safety is easily removed. Not so the tang safety on the 94. Wild West Guns Trigger Happy Kit makes the 336 trigger downright nice. Pretty much nothing can be done to the horrible Miroku/Winchester trigger and rebounding hammer.

i would love to find a pre-safety 94, but they're as rare as hen's teeth around here and astronomically priced if you find one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:24:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OKnativeson] [#23]
I  grew up with clean Winchesters.
I always wanted to have a 336 with a scope just to have.

my Winchesters get alot of hunting and ATV time.
30-30 and 444

I would rather carry a 94, than have my 6 inch 629 on my hip. the 94's a so sweet to carry.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I started out with a strong preference for Winchesters. For one thing, I don't recall even seeing a Marlin lever action until I was over 18; they just weren't popular in the area where I grew up. Secondly, my first centerfire rifle was a Model 64A and I spent a lot of time handling and carrying it.

Made up for it in more recent years and I believe I currently have more Model 36 and 336s than I have '94 and 64s.

There is a good chance that it's going to be easier to find some features of configuration in terms of barrel length, stock or something else that one might prefer in one make than the other. Makes it an easy decision.

Apples to apples, say a 336 Texan vs a '94 carbine. Pretty much directly comparable in terms of configuration. There's really not a whole lot of difference and it should ultimately come down to individual preference. There's likely something that will make most people feel an affinity for one over the other if they handle them side by side.

Personally, and with all of the above in mind and keeping it similar in features. It's going to come down to use. If it's mainly going to the range and any hunting use involves walking a short distance to a stand, Marlin. If there's a lot of walking, Winchester.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I've owned both.  I bought my first Marlin (a 336CS) in 1992 from Wal-Mart.  I've had a variety of Marlins and Winchesters since.

With Winchester guns the time period it was manufactured has a pretty significant impact on the "quality" of the firearm.  Marlin was good until recently.  I'm not crazy about the Ruger Marlins or whatever people are calling them.

I'm partial to Marlin 1894s in 44Mag and Winchester 1894s in 30-30.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:20:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#26]
Get both and just because.

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:02:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#27]
Winchester has a more compact action, and in general is a lighter rifle.  Marlin is a workhorse.  Simpler action, starts smoother and can be made still better.  Winchester, even if polished will never feel as good due to the accordion action.

I have both, have shot both.  If you are mainly carrying and/or going through tight brush, the size and weight might favor the Winchester.  The Marlin is more pleasant to shoot.  I do not own a Marlin 30-30 with a 16' barrel - but honestly it would probably still be my preference.

As for Winchesters - how much do you really want to send.  They made some real shit - and they licensed some Japanese guns that were grade 4.  I have some shit Winchesters in 30-30, and 2 of the Jap guns (Miroku) in more traditional calibers (got a good deal on them, as they are probably worth over 2k each now).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top