Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2024 6:14:52 PM EDT
Have squirrels getting into the attic and looking into getting my first air gun. Leaning towards the Benjamin Marauderm as I want something made in the USA.

Would like it to be as "backyard friendly" as possible, but also as powerful as possible in regards to killing squirrels.

Should I definitely go for the .25 or is there a reason the .22 might be better for this situation?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The .22 is plenty adequate for squirrels.  The .25 will have an advantage on shots further away than 75 yards, but that can be considered nearly long range shooting.  The main advantage is wind drift, and a small amount of shot placement forgiveness.

In addition, the .25 is slightly more expensive to shoot, and you have to fill more often. By the way, you probably won't just be shooting squirrels with it.  You are likely to start shooting a lot more.  

Plus, the .22 is a bit quieter than the .25 but both are rather quiet.  The .25 pellet striking stuff does make more sound than the .22s, however, that is a minor thing.

All this said, I personally don't have much use for the .22 and have mostly .177 and .25 airguns.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had a MROD 22 for 7 or 8 years. Its accurate, nearly silent and efficient on air. For your quarry it'll be plenty of FPE. I don't see a reason to step up to a 25. Unless you just want one... then rock and roll and smack them with bigger pellets!

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Have a .25. It is a squirrel hammer. Drops them in their tra cks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. Honestly, I can get the .25 cheaper so I was just curious if there were any big reasons to avoid the .25 over the .22.
I'lll be getting the .25! Thanks for the input
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Either caliber will kill a squirrel with no problems.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BearTrooper:
Either caliber will kill a squirrel with no problems.
View Quote

I agree. I’ve killed plenty with the .177. But larger is a bit more forgiving.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top