Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2024 5:22:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556]
I’m looking to pick up a nice original wood M14 stock and handguard, suggestions on where to get a nice one at a good price?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:41:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tarfu64] [#1]
Fred's will prolly hook you up
here toy go
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Try SARCO
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe that Fred’s is now Treeline. You can also find some nice stocks on Gunbroker. Though you kind of have to look through the grime to get an idea of what they look like. I you like figured Birch, you might be able to find some nice ones.
For example. This:
https://imgur.com/7FGzhXv

Became one of these.

https://imgur.com/I1wVqOi
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:48:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#5]
My friend bought a mid grade stock from Treeline and it was a pretty nice one.  I bought one off Ebay with a bunch of accessories like sling and muzzle and rear sight protector and three handguards for like $70.  I asked the seller a question about the stock and he threw in the handguards to sweeten the deal.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:14:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sailormilan2:
I believe that Fred’s is now Treeline. You can also find some nice stocks on Gunbroker. Though you kind of have to look through the grime to get an idea of what they look like. I you like figured Birch, you might be able to find some nice ones.
For example. This:
https://imgur.com/7FGzhXv

Became one of these.

https://imgur.com/I1wVqOi
View Quote

The owner of Fred's sold most of his inventories to Treeline many years ago. He is retired, but kept the nicer batches of remaining stocks/parts. So he is still selling on his own. I guess he is doing it as a hobby and for supplemental retirement income.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I've ordered from Treeline a few times. Nothing but good things to say about them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Fred's used to have a reputation for slow shipping . I bought from him and had no problems
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:32:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762AP] [#9]
Gunbroker has a metric ton of M14 stocks. I got one from user "r1rifle", and "bestparts" has a bunch, also.
This is what I bought:
Old, greasy, stained, dented, a 50+ year old stock.
Attachment Attached File

I read on the M14 forums that "Purple Power" concentrated worked well. Like $5 at Walmart.
Attachment Attached File

Put the stock in a bucket, sprayed the hell out of it, let it soak, came back a couple more times and sprayed it again.
It stripped all the grime and finish off, left a slurry in the bucket.
I waited until my wife was out of the house, ran it into the bathroom, filled the tub with hot water, put some dish liquid on a scothbrite sponge/scrubber, scrubbed it down, rinsed it, repeated a couple times until I couldn't feel anything slick on it, then let it dry outside for a couple days.
This is what it looked like afterwards:
Attachment Attached File

I started sanding to knock the grain down, I'll put some Linwax on it when I'm finished.
Attachment Attached File

After a couple layers of Linwax, rubbed in, set in the sun for a day, wiped off the excess. I'll put another coat on after a couple of days, it sort of absorbs into the stock a bit.
Attachment Attached File

This was a beater stock, it was a lot better than the cheap tupperware plastic stock that came on the rifle, if you spend a little extra, you can find a nice one on GB, and this method works pretty well.
I need to replace some fencing......
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a surprisingly nice Winchester M14 stock on eBay for 102 bucks iirc. There are usually several there and I was the only bidder on the stock I got.

Treeline has a Large selection of stocks including the huge amount of Fred's inventory they bought. They also have a lot of spare parts and accessories.
Treeline M14 stocks & parts

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Forgot to add that you can find all kinds of information on stock I.D. and refinishing a long with everything else related to these rifles on the M14 forums.

M14 forums

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top