Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/29/2024 8:07:30 AM EDT
Who makes the best snap caps for dry fire? I'd prefer nickle case. Can a Henry lever be dry fired without damage?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:13:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Steelworx. Have in various calibers and all mine are stainless steel.
Have some A Zoom snap caps in various calibers that never gave me any problems over the years but the oldest ones are looking rough around the neck. I think they're aluminum.
If your Henry is rimfire that'd be worth mentioning. I have some soft rubber .22 snap caps but they're only good for manually inserting in a chamber, they won't cycle in a mag or tube. The Steelworx .22 dummy caps cycle in tube & mag fed rifles just fine but they're stainless steel. Stellworx thinks that's fine but could be hard on a firing pin with repeated use, but still better than firing on an empty chamber.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Rimfire or centerfire?  Centerfire arms do not require a snap cap.  Rimfire doe because the firing pin will strike the chamber edge.

If I was going to buy more snap caps or dummy rounds, I would look at these:  https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/a-zoom
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't recommend a snap cap but I can say from personal experience that a Henry will break a firing pin with dry firing.  

Happened in my .357 Mag.  I emailed Henry and they quickly had a replacement in my hand along with a spare.  No problems since then, but I don't dry fire it any more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top