Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2023 6:06:14 PM EDT
For a polymer pistol frame. What will hold up to the wear?
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 11:21:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Rustoleum seemed harder to remove than krylon when I was redoing a paint job on one of mine. Took more aggressive chemicals to break it down.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Rustoleum. I hate it. In my experience, Krylon usually brushes off with an acetone soak. Rustoleum requires actual paint stripper, a brass brush, and much more time.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Rapco or Duracoat aerosol can
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 1:41:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dday_1944:
View Quote

This, but would also add Alumahyde. It’s going to end up looking like shit either way, but these ones will last longer before they start turning your hands colors on a long range day.

If you actually want it to hold up, Cerakote is the answer. Otherwise have a couple extra cans of stripper and paint handy for down the road.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

This, but would also add Alumahyde. It’s going to end up looking like shit either way, but these ones will last longer before they start turning your hands colors on a long range day.

If you actually want it to hold up, Cerakote is the answer. Otherwise have a couple extra cans of stripper and paint handy for down the road.
View Quote

Duracoat aerosol can would probably be your best option and the most durable. I've used it on multiple rifles and it holds up best only slightly behind cerakote
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:38:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor] [#7]
Early on I sprayed my first couple guns with Cerakote H series using the prevail aerosol spray jars. I know it went on thicker than spec, so more prone to chipping with hard impacts, but 5 years later they have held up just fine.

As far as abrasion resistance….one of them I deceived to change up and I spent about 30 minutes just sandblasting it off the lower.

Home Depot link
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Only looking to paint the polymer/plastic frame.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By dday_1944:
View Quote

is there a website that sells Rapco that isnt total shit like their own site is?
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By LowRez:

is there a website that sells Rapco that isnt total shit like their own site is?
View Quote

bumping for interest. I seem to remember a jeep-related site that sold their paint but dunno what that is now
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 8:37:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Well a couple of things lads.  The guy on ebay is wcfr4.  Looks like legit surplus paint.  Gonna try that out in near future.

Also, a buddy who was experimenting with this the other day, and so far the results look promising.  If you can find any paint that will thin with lacquer, usually an enamel of some type, you can try mixing in a little hardener with it.  He has tried a couple of types, and something like an epoxy hardener seems to actually work.  Now I know all the experts will call bullshit on this but who knows. Will continue to experiment.  It would be nice if you could take some good 'ol Rustoleum and turn it into something a bit more durable.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Duracoat. This was done in 2009.

Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I’d use duracoat aerosol for a polymer pistol frame rattle can. Will be the most durable
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I like Durabake (different from their Duracoat).

For use on polymers they have a protocol to use that involves a lower temperature bake for a longer duration (it's on their website).

It's very durable stuff. Duracoat is fine, but in my real life experience the Durabake is tougher.

I've used it on a bunch of plastic items (stocks, grips, polymer pistol frames, etc) and I also like how even the texture turns out from the baking.
I'm not shilling for them: for my limited skills I get better results.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 9:55:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HardTymeZZZ] [#15]
Check out Aervoe
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#16]
If you prefer spray paint, I recommend Aervoe or Gillespie paints--they are both intended as military vehicle restoration paint. Aervoe sadly ceased their camouflage line, last I knew.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By HardTymeZZZ:
Check out Aervoe
View Quote

Don’t think they make the camo colors anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top