User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2023 12:18:17 PM EDT
Howa Carbon Elevate mini-action

Rifle weighs 4lbs, 13oz. minus the Optics

6mm ARC Howa Carbon Elevate 574 Yards

Link Posted: 10/9/2023 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never understood the appeal of a bolt action rifle using an AR length cartridge.

I get that the mini action is sized accordingly but for what? Other than to sell something to uneducated customers there's no benefit. You're not getting enough length and weight savings from the shorter action to offset the limited parts compatibility and lower power cartridges.

If you live somewhere that you can't use an AR, why would you still limit yourself by using an AR cartridge when your bolt action "handicap" allows you the ability to use something with more oomph like one of the creedmoors?

The exception would be a suppressed bolt action using subsonic 300 blackout or 7.62x39 for discreet night hunting or pest removal.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By spectre3:
I've never understood the appeal of a bolt action rifle using an AR length cartridge.

I get that the mini action is sized accordingly but for what? Other than to sell something to uneducated customers there's no benefit. You're not getting enough length and weight savings from the shorter action to offset the limited parts compatibility and lower power cartridges.

If you live somewhere that you can't use an AR, why would you still limit yourself by using an AR cartridge when your bolt action "handicap" allows you the ability to use something with more oomph like one of the creedmoors?

The exception would be a suppressed bolt action using subsonic 300 blackout or 7.62x39 for discreet night hunting or pest removal.
View Quote
I can think of three good reasons why someone would want a bolt action chambered in short calibers that fit into the AR15 platform.

1. Some are older or have injuries that keep them from shooting bigger calibers
  2. The shorter calibers are excellent for hunting anything from prairie dogs to deer and hogs with little recoil
  3. They can be very accurate and good choices for precision target shooting and competitions, again with low recoil for shooting all day long.
Not everyone needs the 6.5 Creedmoor or bigger for hunting or competition shooting. For the OP, you will like your 6 ARC rifle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
I can think of three good reasons why someone would want a bolt action chambered in short calibers that fit into the AR15 platform.

2. The shorter calibers are excellent for hunting anything from prairie dogs to deer and hogs with little recoil
  3. They can be very accurate and good choices for precision target shooting and competitions, again with low recoil for shooting all day long.
Not everyone needs the 6.5 Creedmoor or bigger for hunting or competition shooting. For the OP, you will like your 6 ARC rifle.
View Quote

I get what you're saying, but when light recoiling rounds like 6mm creedmoor exist, or the old go-to .243 if you can find ammo, it negates that argument a lot. The pound and some change this saves over a short action hunting rifle also contributes to negating the recoil argument. With ammo costing roughly the same, I'd take the extra power for negligible increase in recoil. The reduced barrel life of creedmoor vs arc is a moot point to the average buyer of this kind of rifle. No one shooting competitions with a bolt gun is going to take a 6 arc over a 6cm or one of the other wonder 6mm rounds. They want the extra velocity and better BC to counter the wind. Less drop is nice too, but drop is the easiest thing to compensate for.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 6:28:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AP2020] [#4]

View Quote
Because carrying a fully equipped hyper lightweight bolt action with thermal optic 8# rifle is better than an 11# AR with same thermal optic.

If you understood the limitations of the 6mmArc in an AR regarding 52,000psi versus 62,000psi in a bolt action, you would rethink your arguments. You gain at least 200fps across the spectrum of bullet weights over an AR.

6 Creedmoor is a great cartridge,  but for most nightime coyote hunter where shots average less than 200 yards, the 6mmArc is the better cartridge.

Rix Optics Leap L6 Best Thermal Optical Zoom

Link Posted: 10/10/2023 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#5]
My AR that I use for hunting weighs 6.5 lbs without my clip on. It's still sub 8 pounds with it on. I hunt a lot of large open fields and have with regularity had shots past 400 yds at night. If I wanted to take on another caliber and stick with an AR, hands down I'd pick a 6 ARC. At that point though it would make more sense to ditch the AR platform and take the still faster creed in a standard short action over the higher pressure (which I did take into account) 6 arc in a mini action rifle that will be negligibly lighter.

At the end of the day, it's your gun, you enjoy it and it meets your needs and that's awesome. I'm just saying for most people, who aren't going to handload to get those higher pressures and velocities (which again, 6 creed is still faster and flatter), they'd be better served by a standard short action in a caliber with more case capacity.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]
1st coyote with the 6mmArc.

75gr VMAX stayed inside this average sized #40 Ohio male coyote

6mm ARC Howa Carbon Elevate No. 44 Coyote

Link Posted: 10/10/2023 1:42:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: turbobrick] [#7]

View Quote
Specifically with the 6arc, you can push the cartridge significantly further in a bolt gun than in a AR.  My 2 Howa Minis in 6arc are amazingly accurate, compact, light, and fun.  I had an AR in ARC, but I wanted to find out what it could do if it wasn't held back by the weaker action.

EDIT:  I neglected to add that the advantage of size is not only in length of the action, the whole thing is slimmed down.  Carbon6 makes a special barrel blank with a smaller diameter to match the Howa Mini action.  At the end of the day, its short, narrow, light, and approaches light 243 performance with no recoil.  I can spot my own impacts with no effort.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By turbobrick:
Specifically with the 6arc, you can push the cartridge significantly further in a bolt gun than in a AR.  My 2 Howa Minis in 6arc are amazingly accurate, compact, light, and fun.  I had an AR in ARC, but I wanted to find out what it could do if it wasn't held back by the weaker action.
View Quote
Exactly.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#9]
6mm ARC is one of the very few "new" cartridges that interest me.

But i'm only interested in it when i can find a 26" bolt gun or justify in my mind building one.

Seems like it would be interesting at 1k or a little more.

I have it in my head it would make an awesome prairie dog gun.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By acman145acp:

But i'm only interested in it when i can find a 26" bolt gun or justify in my mind building one.

View Quote
As well as all of the factory loadings shoot in my two examples, it would be a superb prairie dog gun and no need to even reload to do it.  Carbon6 is building me a 19" barrel right now, I'm sure they'd go all the way to 26 if you asked.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I would definitely have a bolt action chambered in 6 ARC if I could fine one in left hand. I am more interested in the mini actions but no one makes them in left hand versions that I can find.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#12]

I get what you're saying, but when light recoiling rounds like 6mm creedmoor exist, or the old go-to .243 if you can find ammo, it negates that argument a lot. The pound and some change this saves over a short action hunting rifle also contributes to negating the recoil argument. With ammo costing roughly the same, I'd take the extra power for negligible increase in recoil. The reduced barrel life of creedmoor vs arc is a moot point to the average buyer of this kind of rifle. No one shooting competitions with a bolt gun is going to take a 6 arc over a 6cm or one of the other wonder 6mm rounds. They want the extra velocity and better BC to counter the wind. Less drop is nice too, but drop is the easiest thing to compensate for.
View Quote
And then there are people like me that are disabled with bad shoulders so we will take any and all recoil reduction we can. Since I shoot left hand I am pretty much stuck with using standard short action rifles so there will be less recoil with 6 ARC versus 243 or 6 Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#13]
And then there are people like me that are disabled with bad shoulders so we will take any and all recoil reduction we can. Since I shoot left hand I am pretty much stuck with using standard short action rifles so there will be less recoil with 6 ARC versus 243 or 6 Creedmoor.
View Quote

So then you're proving my point. A short action will be slightly heavier than this mini action, aiding in recoil reduction. There's a reason precision rifles are heavy.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#14]

So then you're proving my point. A short action will be slightly heavier than this mini action, aiding in recoil reduction. There's a reason precision rifles are heavy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Weight is good for recoil but bad for everything else. If he is injured it works against that.

I agree it’s a limited niche but it’s definitely useful for people. 308ish sized cartridges are overkill for a lot of critters so a small light rifle is really handy.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By acman145acp:

View Quote

In that application it makes less sense to me unless you are trying to build a light 1000 plinker which would be unique. Because it’s an odd combination you are probably better off rebarreling a gun and they can do it to whatever spec you desire.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I added a couple of upgrades.

6mm ARC Howa Carbon Elevate Upgrades

Link Posted: 10/21/2023 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I’d love a pair of Ruger American Ranch rifles in 6 ARC for my daughters. Lighter weight, lower recoiling and hopefully cheaper than .243 in the long run. Would be a good first deer rifle IMO.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By WantsAnRRA:
I'd love a pair of Ruger American Ranch rifles in 6 ARC for my daughters. Lighter weight, lower recoiling and hopefully cheaper than .243 in the long run. Would be a good first deer rifle IMO.
View Quote
Nice.  Yes, great choice for the kids.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By WantsAnRRA:
I'd love a pair of Ruger American Ranch rifles in 6 ARC for my daughters. Lighter weight, lower recoiling and hopefully cheaper than .243 in the long run. Would be a good first deer rifle IMO.
View Quote
I've had Americans, great rifles.  I'd get them the Howa, its a seriously underrated rifle.  Think of it as a Remington 700 with all the little nagging problems fixed, and unless Ruger makes a mini action, the Howa is way smaller.  Don't get the Howa Mini chassis for kids though, they really screwed up the design on that.  It has a really long LOP with the included stock and it gets 1.5" longer if you use the folding adapter.  With a ton of measuring and modifying stuff I was able to use the folder and have my LOP just a little shorter than the chassis is from factory without the folder, and now it adjusts out 1.5" from there, so right in the best usable range.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#20]
2nd coyote with the 6mm ARC

Rix Optics Leap L6 Thermal No. 45 Coyote

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By AP2020:
Howa Carbon Elevate mini-action

Rifle weighs 4lbs, 13oz. minus the Optics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2mDW0LssFc
View Quote
I'd already started my own build before these came out.  My Carbon6 barrel came in and I'm really happy.  Even at 19" is actually a little faster than the factory 20", I might be able to keep the 87AHs over 3000fps, and the 95lrx is over 2900.  It's exactly at 7 pounds as pictured.  It's funny how we keep crossing paths on weird cartridges, this one and 8.6.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Mini action bolts are awesome for general shooting. They aren't meant to replace an AR, but they are often more useful for some types of hunting where you place a premium on accuracy. I spend way more time shooting .223 bolt than AR.

Barrel life can be a huge part of it, regardless of your opinion, since 6mm Creed can be shot out pretty darn quickly. ARC should ofter 2x + the barrel life, and 90% of the capability. Any shooter that needs that extra 10% of performance already has a Creed.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

I recently barreled a Savage model 10 in .300 AAC BLK and love it...........no recoil, making fun to shoot..........in the process of doing 2 more..........lol
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 9:05:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#25]
View Quote

This has become a real concern for me since my right shoulder rotator cuff surgery 18 months ago.  I haven't shot any of my heavier calibers since, and I'm not sure I want to ever take the chance with my .45/70, K31, .30-06 bolt guns, or even the softer shooting Garand.

I can't even contemplate wrecking my shoulder and having to go through another repair.
I may need to stick with my Grendel for anything above .22 caliber.  Although 6mm ARC is quite appealing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 10:47:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DH243] [#26]
Originally Posted By Middlelength:

Mini action bolts are awesome for general shooting. They aren't meant to replace an AR, but they are often more useful for some types of hunting where you place a premium on accuracy. I spend way more time shooting .223 bolt than AR.

Barrel life can be a huge part of it, regardless of your opinion, since 6mm Creed can be shot out pretty darn quickly. ARC should ofter 2x + the barrel life, and 90% of the capability. Any shooter that needs that extra 10% of performance already has a Creed.
View Quote

Keep in mind if you flog on the 6arc and load to 62k, 2 things, brass life will be shorter and barrel life will also be shorter.  The brass life is pretty self explanatory.  On the barrel life, if 6creed is running 3150 with a 105-110gr bullet and slower burn rate powder, and you are pushing a 6arc to 3000+ with a faster burnrate/hotter powder, barrel life will be pretty similar, not 2x as much.  Alot of barrel life is determined by rate of fire, powder volume, powder burn rate and chem make up(double base vs single base).  I had a personal 243win fast twist on an AI that went 2200 rds before it lost about 100fps.  By 2400rds it was started to show fliers at 1k that weren't there at 100.   That rifle was shot in some matches on steel, never flogged on like a fclass gun but definitely wasn't babies either.  6creed will have similar life in similar conditions.  A hotted up 6arc isn't going to get alot more than that(maybe 3-400 more rds), definitely not 2x.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Wonder if they'll do a 22 ARC? That interests me more than the 6mm.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:17:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DH243] [#28]
Originally Posted By NE223:
View Quote

I was always more impressed with the 6mm grendel(lbc) than the 6.5grendel.  There's just not enough case capacity to push the interesting 6.5mm bullets.  What kind of speed and bullet weight will the 22arc run without being way over pressure?  Reason I ask is I'm easily getting 77smk to 2995fps with tac in a 24" wylde chamber, ican also run 75gr eldm to 3010 with h4895(can go hotter but that load is shooting in the .2s and maintains .5moa to 850yds).
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By NE223:
View Quote

They already are. They show a couple heavy target loads and a lighter faster varmint/target load. I think it will do well.
https://www.hornady.com/22arc#
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 5:47:42 AM EDT
[#30]
I love the 6 ARC. Probably my favorite caliber right now. I have a bolt, and three AR’s chambered in it. I can shoot 58 gr vmax for predators up to 108 gr high bc bullets for larger game and ringing steel at long range. I like the light recoil, efficient design, and long barrel life. The bolt gun is wickedly accurate.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 12:46:04 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Not entirely acccurate. Most ppl shooting comps (PRS/NRL) like the BC and light recoil of 6mm’s, but the 6creed has fallen out of favor due to speed, barrel life and recoil. For PRS, or other events where shooting from barricades accounts for 60-80% of your shots, you want the least amount of recoil possible. Having a bullet in the 2775-2950fps range helps for spotting on the closer targets. A hopped up 6creed at 3150fps gets to 275-450yds in a hurry.

The 6arc Hornady loads are hitting 2775 and 2805fps in my 26” Krieger barrel. That’s approaching 6BR velocity, while staying slow enough to spot easily with minimum recoil…and it’s FACTORY ammo. That’s the selling point for 6arc from a competition side. Most of the other 6mm variants below a 6creed don’t have affordable factory ammo, sans the 6GT which is harder to find. For someone like me, who has limited time to reload, it made the 6arc a good option even though I have 6 dasher, 6BRA, 6GT and 6x47L reamers.

I’ll still run my 6creed’s, namely because I stacked deep on the PRIME 107 ammo (3050fps), but the 6arc isn’t at as big of a disadvantage as you might think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top