Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2024 9:29:28 PM EDT
Anyone got some they want to part with?  My 9 year old saved up and bought himself a new muzzleloader and I’d like him to use this powder and I can’t find any.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Any specific reason just that powder? It seems really expensive.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:21:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Berger24] [#2]
Subscribed. I have been looking for this for a few seasons as well. I just popped my last jug.

BH209 has consistent accuracy/velocity, burns much cleaner, isn't affected by humidity or cold, and is less corrosive. Plenty of other reasons, but these are a few that come to mind that I can recall. I have been using it for about 15 years and it's always performed well for me with CCI Magnum 209 primers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By armoredman:
View Quote

I'm sure that's why he started this thread. BH209 is easy to find. It's just that it's $150 to $160 per pound right now.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#4]
It seems to be popping up at Scheels lately. I signed up for their in stock notifications and was able to get some within a week or two.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By fgshoot:

I'm sure that's why he started this thread. BH209 is easy to find. It's just that it's $150 to $160 per pound right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fgshoot:
Originally Posted By armoredman:

That's only about 5 times what I paid for it 6 or so years ago.

Thanks Joe Biden!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember when they were 10 ounce cans for $28 at walmart, then they went to 8 ounce, raised the price, and never said anything. It was almost always double the price of regular smokeless powder, and it still is.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I would like to try it.  But never for the crazy money that this magical powder goes for!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:39:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#8]
Originally Posted By Surfgun:
I would like to try it.  But never for the crazy money that this magical powder goes for!
View Quote

It's never going to go down in price. What Blackhorn 209 is, is a muzzle loader legally distinct version of smokeless powder. It's really for one of two people. First is someone shooting a modern muzzleloader in a modern muzzleloader shooting competition, these people are very rare, but they exist. Next is the most common is a hunter who wants to hunt a special muzzleloader season or tag, but doesn't actually like muzzleloaders. They just want a muzzleloader that is legal during the season and gives them the most possible advantage with the least amount of work. That's where Blackhorn 209 comes in. It's a smokeless powder, yet even in states that ban smokeless powder muzzleloader for hunting, for some reason allow Blackhorn 209. I think there is one or two that don't allow it, but for the vast majority it is legal. Besides that, BH209 is distinct verses other smokeless powders in that it can be loaded by volume as a replacement for blackpowder, the same as other substitute powders such as pyrodex. There is no other smokeless powder out there that is legal in most states for hunting during the muzzleloader season, and for that reason they will always have the price as high as they can possibly get it. People keep paying it instead of just learning muzzleloaders.

If you are someone that enjoys muzzleloaders and muzzleloader shooting, then don't worry about BH209.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top