Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2023 2:05:38 AM EDT

Understand not a belt, but the Venn overlap is high.

Anyone doing rebuilds on Brens anymore?
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 12:56:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 2:25:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out Weapons Guild as there are quite a few guys building Brens. I have a kit but planned to do the work myself.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Lots of good info and pics at WG.

The Bren is a really amazing gun and worth the effort to restore one (or more) into a working gun again.
Parts are drying up so keep that in mind if you are purchasing a parts set missing parts.

Bowman arms is supposed to be getting some 303 parts sets in and they had really nice cuts from the last batch.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Check with Historic_Arms

Ive transferred several of Len's Brens and they are absolutely gorgeous.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JKH62:
Lots of good info and pics at WG.

The Bren is a really amazing gun and worth the effort to restore one (or more) into a working gun again.
Parts are drying up so keep that in mind if you are purchasing a parts set missing parts.

Bowman arms is supposed to be getting some 303 parts sets in and they had really nice cuts from the last batch.
View Quote

The last batch of kits were the Italian guns in .30-06, and they are exceptionally nice ...... barrels are the issue .....these had fluted chambers
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 10:12:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JKH62] [#6]
Yep.

No way Beretta engineers added something that was not required.
There is some thought if chamber flutes were added before or after extending the gas block.

A couple guys seem to have fired shots from a rechambered 303 barrel.
These have a 310 / 311 bore diameter firing 308 diameter bullets so the pressure is lower.

The 06 Bren's are neat but WAY overpriced here IMHO.

These are around $750 with a dozen mags.....

https://www.dandbmilitaria.com/deactivated-matching-number-bmb-bren-lmg-accessory-set-sn-ibbg

Link Posted: 9/26/2023 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By notso:
Check with Historic_Arms

Ive transferred several of Len's Brens and they are absolutely gorgeous.
View Quote

This would be where I would go. Not the cheapest,  but very nice when done. He has probably built more Bren Guns than anyone else.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Here is my Sarco MK3 kit rebuilt in 7.62x54R. I made a mightlylime style striker and recoil assembly. It fires reliably and sometimes cycles and sometimes feeds. Need more tweaking. I have some ideas for the mags to make them more reliable.

This was a tricky reweld.

Link Posted: 10/11/2023 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I had my MkIII kit rebuilt buy Kiwi's Custom Guns in CA.  Been quite a few years ago, but it looks beautiful.  Had a second barrel head-spaced at the same time. No idea if he's still doing builds or not.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I did one years ago. The parts I bought were of a hammer fired design, it worked for a while, then the hammer broke. I did a reweld with a jig, before they started torch cutting the receivers.

Friend of mine did a 100% new receiver, it's nice. He designed a striker fired setup, which was much better than the hammer setup I used.

I have 2 torch cut Mark 1 kits, plus a large chuck of 4140 and some day I will build a Mark 1 off a new receiver. With .303 pretty much non existent now, there is no hurry to start this project.

Jason
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 3:36:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FNGfromGA] [#12]
Historic Arms built mine .. the only issue I have ever had was a case separation due to crappy ammo.  The neck of the case was stuck in the chamber, and I could not get it out even with a brush.  I called Len and he said bring it down. I don’t know what the hell it was ,but it some sort of alloy with a low melting point he used to fill the chamber and pop out the bad case. He did a full inspection of the gun and test fired while I was there…. All free.  
Great service
Great Builder
Great Guy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top