Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2024 5:29:21 PM EDT
I got this neat little X-Bolt micro hunter in a trade lot recently, and it’s in 7mm-08 and has a short 20” barrel. I don’t really like the stock because it has a short LOP, but thinking the barreled action could make a cool little custom build with a carbon stock. Thinking that plus a nice Cerakote job could make for a sweet little woods rifle. Anyone know of good aftermarket stocks for these?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By mgwantob:
I got this neat little X-Bolt micro hunter in a trade lot recently, and it’s in 7mm-08 and has a short 20” barrel. I don’t really like the stock because it has a short LOP, but thinking the barreled action could make a cool little custom build with a carbon stock. Thinking that plus a nice Cerakote job could make for a sweet little woods rifle. Anyone know of good aftermarket stocks for these?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73019/IMG_3160_jpeg-3140059.JPG
View Quote

I used to own an X-Bolt.  They're nice rifles, but the aftermarket for them is extremely limited.  I sold mine because I wanted to get out of .300 WSM and I got into suppressors.  I wasn't comfortable with threading a barrel that skinny.

I believe that there are one or two companies that make replacement stocks for them.  Boyd's probably does, but not what you're looking for. I know that McMillan does too, but not sure what models they offer.  While they're nice rifles, I personally wouldn't start throwing money at one.  You'll probably end up almost $1k into a McMillan stock by the time you get it bedded.  If you want to upgrade from there, like a replacement trigger the options are very slim too, though I never minded the factory trigger on mine.  There really are no other upgrades available for them.

Overall, I see the Tikka and X-Bolt as being in a similar niche in terms of features and quality.  Each has some advantages over the other.  The biggest advantage of the Tikka is aftermarket; you'll have a lot easier time upgrading a Tikka.  You can probably get most or all of your money out of the Browning if you sell it and that would be my choice.  Buy a Tikka if you want a factory rifle that's easy to upgrade.  You could also go custom, but you're probably looking at about $3k or a little more at that point.

My replacement for the .300 WSM X-Bolt ended up being a custom .300WM.  I went custom due to the combination of being a lefty and wanting a relatively lightweight suppressed rifle.  For my use, I went with a Pure Precision Summit action, Carbon Six Sendero, AG Composites CAT, Triggertech Primary, and a BDL floorplate.  I just had my local gunsmith assemble it since that was cheaper than buying the tools and headspace gauges I'd need to do it myself.  All in it was right about $3k and totally worth it.  It weighs 7 lbs bare, right where I wanted it.

I seriously considered building on a Tikka, but when I started adding up the costs to do what I wanted to do, I was getting very close to custom rifle territory.

For a custom, assuming you want lightweight and don't want to suppress, I'd recommend a Pure Precision SKLTN Stainless (on sale right now) at 21 oz, whatever lightweight steel prefit barrel trips your trigger from Preferred Barrel Blanks, an AG CF stock of your choice (or maybe a Pure Precision Altitude, but I haven't used one).  Pick a trigger and bottom metal and you're done.  This should also be right about $3k and could weight under 6 lbs, depending on your choice of barrel profile and length.  

There are smoother actions out there than the Summit and SKLTN, but they cost more, weigh more, or both.  I picked the Summit mainly for the 75 degree bolt lift.  It's slicked up very nicely with some use.  I like it enough that I have a SKLTN stainless sitting in the safe that will become a 6.5 PRC once my stock and barrel arrive.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ll probably just leave it as is then and use it as a truck gun on my property. I like the compact size and it has a lot of other nice features. I had an A-Bolt years ago that I shot my first buck with, and this is definitely an upgrade.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#3]
With the Xbolt being a current production you have a lot of options straight from Browning. If they are like most OEM's they won't be cheap but it's worth asking for sure. Looks like they have a couple synthetics starting at $200. You could keep an eye out for takeoffs but they aren't as common on platforms that are usually just left alone. If it's just the length you could put the thickest recoil pad on.

https://www.browning.com/content/dam/browning/support/parts-service/gun-parts-price-list/parts/2013/12-arn-432-x-bolt.pdf
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:46:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WI-2021] [#4]
Good call on a factory stock.  Might not save much weight, but at least will increase the LOP.  Here's a stalker stock for $180:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1302720

It doesn't appear to include the recoil pad or sling swivel studs though.

I also had an A-Bolt at one time.  I agree, the X-Bolt is definitely the better rifle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Stocky's say that their carbon fiber stocks will be available for the X-Bolt later this spring.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:48:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Aftermarket support for Browning A and X bolts is very limited.  Most people base custom projects on Remingtom 700 or Sako/Tikka actions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top