Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2021 7:36:37 PM EDT
What effect does a rifled slug barrel have on buckshot or regular birdshot? I'm thinking it would cause a very wide pattern.

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Often you'll see a donut-type pattern.  Shotgun charges aren't supposed to be spun.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

A good read! It was as I expected and answered my question. THANKS!

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#4]
A secondary problem is that the rifling tends to lead up badly.
This also happens if the shot has a plastic shot cup when the rifling shreds the cup and the lead contacts the bore.

Not surprisingly a rifled barrel has been used to increase the diameter of the shot pattern for close range shooting inside a home.
At typical inside the home ranges the rifling can open the pattern for increased spread, but the penalty is inconsistent spread and possible misses with much of the shot.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

That was a cool article. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:

That was a cool article. Thanks for posting.
View Quote

I think that article used to be tacked at the top of this page (or maybe I just imagined that )
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Excellent thread.

What about the inverse,  a sabot slug in a smooth bore with various chokes?  

I would assume the results are the same as a foster slug.  But you know assumptions and all.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Foster slugs are rifled or more precisely grooved. They create their own spin.  A sabot slug in a smooth barrel would shoot like a cork out of a pop gun.
All of this fuss with slug guns is why pistol caliber rifles took off so well where allowed.
As for buckshot, you can get good patterns at moderate (50-60 yards) ranges. But you need choke and homework to figure out your best combo.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:50:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bog_Irish] [#10]
I saw a test on YouTube of that very subject.  The slugs tend to keyhole, even at very close range.  You might hit your target (albeit sideways) at 10 yards; probably not at 25, IIRC.

Sabot Slugs Through Smooth Bore
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a Remington 20ga 870 once with a fully-rifled barrel. It made perfect 'donut patterns' with #3 buckshot st 10 yards. You could literally step through the hole in the center of the pattern.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 8:29:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JH1961] [#12]
Man, this is an old thread.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top