Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2023 7:09:12 PM EDT
I’m looking at stocking up on some mini mags. Which ones does everyone prefer? 40 grain hollow point or copper plated, or does it not matter? I’ve always used the hollow points out of my cz for squirrel hunting. They will be used in bolt guns and 10-22s.
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Always preferred hollow- points, but doubt it makes a difference. Bulk can be ordered directly from CCI.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 11:10:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BabaYaga22] [#2]
I’ve killed plenty of squirrels and Raccoons with CCI Standard Velocity. Round nose or hollow point doesn’t matter.

To answer your question, get what ever is cheapest.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the solids. I have seen a few semi auto  guns that choke on the HP but run fine on the solids. Solids tend to be a bit cheaper usually too.

As someone else mentioned I do most of my 22 use with standard. Velocity target ammo.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I've probably killed more rabbits and squirrels with round nose then HP but I only buy the HO now because my guns feed them fine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a stash of both but overall I prefer the solid round nose for most reliable feeding in auto loaders. No noticeable difference in accuracy.
For a good hollow point out of a bolt action a Velocitor is my choice.
Nothing wrong with the Mini Mag Varmints vs Targets but once that bullet expands the extra 200fps makes a difference.
Although Velocitors are also about twice what Varmints run.
Velocitors are also a 40gr. hollow point vs the 36 gr. hollowpoint Varmint.

I do know Varmints are a bit longer than the round nose Targets. My CP33 mags load Targets just fine but Varmints start to bind in the mag body after a half dozen rounds.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:24:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AK_Mike] [#7]
MiniMags are not the cleanest, nor most accurate.  They are however the most commonly used round for rimfire semiautomatic action designs which is unfortunate as minimags are also not the cheapest.  Any 40gr that has the same impulse usually does the job though, and there are alternatives.  Definitely not my first pick in a bolt rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top