Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2024 4:57:02 PM EDT
From the email:

CMP has a very limited quantity of 1917 Service and Field Grade rifles available for mail orders. CMP Stores may also have a limited quantity. These are sold AS-IS with no returns or exchanges. Once these are sold out, we will not backorder these. Please keep in mind the yearly limit of one (1) 1917 per year, per person. If you have already purchased one this year, you are not eligible until January 2025. For more information on the 1917 rifles, please visit this link https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/m1917-enfield-rifle-information/. Ordering information may be viewed at https://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/ordering-information/.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow. Any idea what they were priced at last time they were available?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
If I didn't already have one, that would be very tempting.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By METT-T:
View Quote

Via mail order?  probably a long long time a go price of $500.   They’ve been selling them in the stores all along as they get them, no idea on prices there.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

350, but it was at a gun shop in PA.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
This is my original Winchester, gave about $700 for it a few years ago:

I've got a boxed OGEK Eddystone too that was around $350-400 IIRC but that was ten years at least.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#6]
These are probably ones set aside awhile ago as in too poor of shape to sell and were parts guns before their value rose.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I also got the email.  I put my order in the mail this afternoon for a service grade
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:49:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JMD] [#8]
This is my original Winchester, gave about $700 for it a few years ago:

https://i.postimg.cc/NFbn6Sqd/20211214-114502.jpg

I've got a boxed OGEK Eddystone too that was around $350-400 IIRC but that was ten years at least.
View Quote

Most Winchesters if they have mostly original winchester parts and originally bluing (not arsenal refinished) are going north of 2000.00 now.

Usually around 2500.00 from what I have seen.

Prices have really shot up on 1917s as a whole since COVID.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#9]
The 1917 is no where near the bargain they used to be.  That's about the going rate.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JMD:

Most Winchesters if they have mostly original winchester parts and originally bluing (not arsenal refinished) are going north of 2000.00 now.

Usually around 2500.00 from what I have seen.

Prices have really shot up on 1917s as a whole since COVID.
View Quote

Wow!  I haven't followed the market.  I feel lucky- I bought my first M1917, a Winchester, about 15 years ago off Gunbroker.  Over the next 10 years, I found a Remington at a local pawn shop, and an Eddystone at a local gun show.  I have a little more than what CMP is asking now in all 3 of my rifles.

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#11]
My eddystone is a great shooter, a keeper for sure.

I wish I had a crystal ball (don’t we all) back when the RC 98s were under a hundred. Only bought one , German marks intact, bbl not so good. Patterns at 100. Sold it for 750.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I paid $600 or $650 for my Remington with JA barrel from the CMP south store in November 2020. I think it was rack or service grade, but it’s definitely nicer than most the shit for sale now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

I wish I had a crystal ball (don’t we all) back when the RC 98s were under a hundred. Only bought one , German marks intact, bbl not so good. Patterns at 100. Sold it for 750.
View Quote

Yea my first was a RC from Century, S147 J.Sauer and sohns.  About $200 give or take.  Then I picked up two more via Family Firearms and Finishes,  dou I think was one and I don’t recall the other.  Both around $300 in unmolested stocks (no red commie stain) and original bluing, paint in one of the sight range numbers.

My nephew before talking to me bought a S147 with ammo, sling, bayonet and two repro german ammo cans for $800 of a reenact or guy.   With the stuff,not that bad of a deal.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:27:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#14]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

Yea my first was a RC from Century, S147 J.Sauer and sohns.  About $200 give or take.  Then I picked up two more via Family Firearms and Finishes,  dou I think was one and I don’t recall the other.  Both around $300 in unmolested stocks (no red commie stain) and original bluing, paint in one of the sight range numbers.

My nephew before talking to me bought a S147 with ammo, sling, bayonet and two repro german ammo cans for $800 of a reenact or guy.   With the stuff,not that bad of a deal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
Originally Posted By DVCER:

I bought one last time, about a decade ago.  Paid about $500.

Neat guns, I ran it 3-gun even once, just for grins.

I don't know if I'd pay $1100 for one today.

Be aware with 1917's the stock design is a little funny, and the lug engagement is in a fairly thin section of wood in front of your magwell.  That will compress
 Then it'll start to engage in the tang at the rear of the reciever.  And that will split your stock.  Watch for that.  I "fixed" mine by dropping in a shim in the form of a cut aluminum can strip of aluminum (2) into that cutout in the stock, which worked and caused stock_reciever engagement to resume being at that lug.  Improved my accuracy too.

Or I'm completely wrong,  but that was my interpretation and research.

Also, stripper clips don't need to be removed.  The reciever cut causes them to "autoeject" upon bolt close action.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I got one at a gunshow from a guy that had just bought it from the CMP about a decade ago for $400.  I think he actually had paid more for it from them, but divorces are cash intense.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:05:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Picked up a very high serial number Eddystone 1917 this morning.  Ogden Arsenal refurb, it's very clean, very wear free, no pitting/rust.  1/2 for measurements.  All things considered i'm happy with it.  Need to strip and clean/lube first before i shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Buddy snagged this one for $600 back in 2017.  He bitched all the way home that it was triple what he remembered them being.

Nice shiny bore and all the parts present, which CMP isn't promising for $1,000.

Damn.

I'm losing track of the number of guns I've watched go from cheap to unobtanium.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Z09SS:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49649086766_6f188c4e36_b.jpg

Buddy snagged this one for $600 back in 2017.  He bitched all the way home that it was triple what he remembered them being.

Nice shiny bore and all the parts present, which CMP isn't promising for $1,000.

Damn.

I'm losing track of the number of guns I've watched go from cheap to unobtanium.
View Quote

Which is why I was out the door at 5:20 a.m. to get to the CMP North store and pick one out.  I'm very late to the milsurp game but some stuff can still be had periodically.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Our American Legion post sent seven 1917 Enfields to the CMP several years ago.  They had really rough bores - old blanks and not a lot of cleaning.  
I never saw them on the auction site.
The Enfields were replaced in the mid 60's when the US Army shipped a crate of 1903A3 Springfields to us.  It only took 55+ years for us to get around giving the Enfields back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top