Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2024 10:39:58 PM EDT
Palmetto state armory had these on clearance recently and I couldn’t resist to see what a 28.6” barrel 22lr would be like.  I wanted something to work on the basic fundamentals with open sights so a long sight radius fit the bill.  I even switched out the rear sight for a Willam’s peep for an even longer sight radius.  It’s super quite with subsonic rounds without a silencer.

After about a 1000 rounds over the past week I have been very impressed with this rifle.  Accuracy has been excellent for a $500 rifle and CCI standard.  Probably around .5-.6” at 50 yards with open sights.  It can easily clear a rimefire KYL rack at 35 yards which is about all my eyes can see on the ¼” target.  And out to 200 yards an eight inch plate is super easy.  

Attachment Attached File

The jaguar next to my youth model for the most dramatic comparison.  I won’t lie it is a bit awkward to load in the car.  The magazine it came with doesn’t feed 100%.  But other than that it has been one of the most fun guns I have bought in a long while.

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I was tempted hard when those were on sale.  Then I thought about the 28" barrel and decided it was too much of a good thing.  My son has a 452 LUX that is a lot of fun.  But, WOW, 28"?...
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Green_Canoe:
I was tempted hard when those were on sale.  Then I thought about the 28" barrel and decided it was too much of a good thing.  My son has a 452 LUX that is a lot of fun.  But, WOW, 28"?...
View Quote

I would have bought the lux but it wasn’t on clearance and it wasn’t threaded.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#3]
You did good. Always been a fan of the Jaguar although I'm not sure It'd fit in my Mini Cooper.
If PSA had it on closeout you got a bargain.
Would like to know how many fps that barrel gets over the Lux.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:26:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I think with 22lr, the 28" barrel is slower fps than the shorter variants.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 2:39:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: charliedontsurf] [#5]
Don't shoot Aguila Colibri's through it, probably won't exit the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 4:39:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I recently saw  10/22 with a 28" barrel for sale.  Owner said something about it being a legal suppressor or something to that effect.  I imagine a barrel that long on a 22lr would be pretty quiet, but on a 10/22 I'd imagine the brass would damn near beat the bullet out of the gun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow that's ridiculously long.  Isn't anything beyond 10" barrel pointless in 22lr?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
Wow that's ridiculously long.  Isn't anything beyond 10" barrel pointless in 22lr?
View Quote

Actually somewhere in the 18" area is where velocity start to drop off...
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 24' CZ 452 trainer.

Despite all the cries that anything more than 16" is a waste for a .22, It's an absolute hoot to shoot.

And it's damn quiet with CBs.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I owned a 28" CZ 452 Ultra Lux years ago, it was one of the most fun rifles I've ever shot. Traded it for a CZ 452 FS which is beautiful and I'll never part with it, but still miss that Ultra Lux.

Anyway, as much I hate the fugly laser engravings on the stock, this thread made me order a Jaguar.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Fuck you OP.

Now I need a Jaguar.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By rob78:
Fuck you OP.

Now I need a Jaguar.
View Quote

Lol do it.  My local range has an eight inch plate at 200 yards and with open sights it’s impossible to miss.  Most of the time I can hit the cross beam which is just a box steel frame that’s 3-4”.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:30:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: foggy] [#13]
Originally Posted By Green_Canoe:
View Quote

Dang, can't believe I missed that. Definitely would have picked one up!
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Picked it up yesterday.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Pomyluy:
Picked it up yesterday.

https://i.imgur.com/BGvRroJ.jpg
View Quote

Nice I hope it’s as accurate as mine.  I put it on paper with open sights at 200 yards I kept them all within about a 5-6” group.  I’m tempted to put a scope on it to see what it can really do.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By foggy:

Dang, can't believe I missed that. Definitely would have picked one up!
View Quote
@foggy

There was a used one at the north Fort Worth Cabela's last week for about 500$
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:55:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeffb1911] [#17]
How far are the iron sights calibrated to?  i've had a CZ 452 Super BRNO 2500 with sights calibrated out to 300 yards for many years. Fun to ring gongs with out to that range with decent ammo just using the irons. The "ping" comes a bit after the shot though indicating a hit. Have to either have a spotter or use electronic muffs to know for sure of a hit at that range.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By jeffb1911:
How far are the iron sights calibrated to?  i've had a CZ 452 Super BRNO 2500 with sights calibrated out to 300 yards for many years. Fun to ring gongs with out to that range with decent ammo just using the irons. The "ping" comes a bit after the shot though indicating a hit. Have to either have a spotter or use electronic muffs to know for sure of a hit at that range.
View Quote

Not sure on the factory sights.  I replaced mine with a peep sight.  The Willam’s peep sight easily gets me out to 200 with a little more adjustment left.  However I’m zeroed at 25 yards if I zeroed the front sight elevation at 100 yards I’m sure they could get out to 300.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By bigtex84:I replaced mine with a peep sight.
View Quote

Same.

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Kind of curious how they chrony.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Kind of curious how they chrony.
View Quote

I shoot CCI standard and they are 1060fps
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Same.

https://i.imgur.com/EEt8mNq.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigtex84:I replaced mine with a peep sight.

Same.

https://i.imgur.com/EEt8mNq.jpg

That’s hot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top