Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2019 11:33:12 AM EDT
If I were in an AOW-only state (I'm not, this is hypothetical), could I use a pistol brace on an existing AOW or start with a pistol braced 'firearm' and make an AOW out of it. I'm talking radically short barrel and far under the 26"ish range with the brace on it, like Serbu length barrel. My vague and limited understanding of what constitutes an AOW leads me to think it would be GTG. Of course, there is no clear-cut answer to this that I can comprehend on atf.gov. AOW isn't my specialty and I do not pretend to know it all about things outside of my main focus, which is SBS. Any help or perspective appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 10:17:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: whiskerz] [#1]
I wondered the same thing. I have an AOW that started life as an AK parts kit and was built and now has a forward grip. I would think a bigger grey area would be something like a Serbu
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm thinking one of those Spets-12s or a Trench 12. They are not 'shotguns' and they are coming with a brace on them. Looks like it could be the next best thing to a SBS for guys in AOW only states.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I would say no because it’s not a pistol.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 1:47:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: evlblkwpnz] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Christisking:
I would say no because it’s not a pistol.
View Quote
This isn't a pistol and legally has a pistol brace...

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/spets-12
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I just applied to make an AOW out of a pistol with a brace. Included a photo. We shall see!

If (from ATF's recent letter) they no longer include a brace as part of the OAL, considering it a firearm accessory, then I would think brace should not effect AOW status for consistency.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 5:23:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#6]
Wouldn't an AoW with a brace become a firearm if it's oal was 26"?
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:
Wouldn't an AoW with a brace become a firearm if it's oal was 26"?
View Quote
Why?  It's registered as a AOW.  The length <= 26" shouldn't matter from what I understand.  You want to avoid going under in some cases so it isn't a AOW,  but I don't know of any reason you can't go over it w/ a registered AOW.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually, you can do whatever you want. Free country, right?
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By vandal:
I just applied to make an AOW out of a pistol with a brace. Included a photo. We shall see!

If (from ATF's recent letter) they no longer include a brace as part of the OAL, considering it a firearm accessory, then I would think brace should not effect AOW status for consistency.
View Quote
I think I read that most recent letter, but I believe it was in the context of a brace+folding mechanism+vertical foregrip on a 'firearm'. Is that the one you are referring to?

I am really interested in what they say about AOW with a brace. It seems like it would be just fine, but things are so convoluted these days one can never tell. The laws should be simple enough that the layman can understand them. Gosh, that sounds really familiar but I just can't quite place it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2019 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#10]
SERBU  offers a shorty AOW with a folding brace.  The "current" understanding is that you cannot add a stock to a AOW (it would then be an SBS), however a brace is not a stock and therefore okay to add.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:
SERBU  offers a shorty AOW with a folding brace.  The "current" understanding is that you cannot add a stock to a AOW (it would then be an SBS), however a brace is not a stock and therefore okay to add.
View Quote
So the same should apply to an AOW pistol in theory
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:

So the same should apply to an AOW pistol in theory
View Quote
Whiskerz - Yes - Does anyone  commercially offer pistol AOWs?  I've found AOW shotties for reasonable  - If you "make" an AOW its a $200 tax but after that transfer tax is just $5.  As an individual making one on a From 1 you may as well just go for SBS or SBR - its all $200 but the next transfer would only be $5 for an AOW.

and here is a pic of my Braced AOW Mossberg Shorty - Its in a range Jail in Newnan GA but I get conjugal visits till the From 4 is approved.

" />

" />
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Years ago a guy was building AK pistols from matching AMD-65 parts kits that were AOW's with the foregrip. Since he was the manufacturer they transferred on a $5 stamp. I have one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Still waiting for my Form 1 AOW approval to add a VFG to an AR pistol with a brace.

Logged back in to check and noticed they changed the application from AOW to SBR! That's not going to fly in this state.

I have a call to make next week!
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Still waiting for my Form 1 AOW approval to add a VFG to an AR pistol with a brace.

Logged back in to check and noticed they changed the application from AOW to SBR! That's not going to fly in this state.

I have a call to make next week!
View Quote
Any update ?
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I've left two voicemail messages a month a part, and just sent an email. No reply so far.

Originally Posted By whiskerz:

Any update ?
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:

Whiskerz - Yes - Does anyone  commercially offer pistol AOWs?  I've found AOW shotties for reasonable  - If you "make" an AOW its a $200 tax but after that transfer tax is just $5.  As an individual making one on a From 1 you may as well just go for SBS or SBR - its all $200 but the next transfer would only be $5 for an AOW.

and here is a pic of my Braced AOW Mossberg Shorty - Its in a range Jail in Newnan GA but I get conjugal visits till the From 4 is approved.

https://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/001_zpss5j5r5pp.jpg" target="_blank">https://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/001_zpss5j5r5pp.jpg

https://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/002_zpsqe4qvavt.jpg" target="_blank">https://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/002_zpsqe4qvavt.jpg
View Quote
I know  that range it is close to my house. If you need another transfer option or an 02/07 who can manufacture an AOW shoot me an email.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 3:20:39 AM EDT
[#18]
My application was denied due to NCIC check inconclusive. So not specifically for the AOW/BRACE.

Re-submitted!
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#19]
My application was denied due to NCIC check inconclusive. So not specifically for the AOW/BRACE.

Re-submitted!
View Quote

Inconclusive? Do you know the reason?
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 2:13:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Pulled my FBI file and found out. I had a juvenile arrest and later had my record sealed. My state did a half assed job on the sealing apparently. Fortunately I still had the sealing order and requested they fix it and tell FBI to fix it. Which they (say they) did. I need to pull my FBI file again and see, then resubmit my AOW applications.

Originally Posted By KM6:

Inconclusive? Do you know the reason?
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top