Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2024 11:47:51 AM EDT
I like the way the P320 shoots. But read some articles about them firing in the holster. Might sell mine.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#1]
It depends on if the holster is actually made for the P320 and if you are also tucking a jacket into the holster with it.

That said, I have a M18 and a X5, one of the older ones. I have tossed them on the ground in several ways (with an empty chamber) and the striker does not drop. I can still dry fire when I pick it up.

The only way my 320s go off is if the trigger is pulled. It's up to me to keep the trigger from being pulled negligently.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Kip4:
I like the way the P320 shoots. But read some articles about them firing in the holster. Might sell mine.
View Quote

The drop issue was addressed by Sig years ago.  If it was still a problem there would still be Youtube videos all over the place of folks making their Sigs go bang for clicks.

Firing in holsters seems to be attributed to incorrect holsters and or holsters with a big opening for a weapon light, which leave the trigger unprotected while holstering.  Look at it this way.  The military has been issuing Sigs for quite a while now.  Do you think they would be doing that if Sigs just magically go off for no reason?  The security forces on the base near me are packing Sig M18s.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't live in fear.  I go out of my way to not drop any of my guns.  

All of these were sent back for correction, not a dime out of my pocket.  I carried the one with the safety for almost two years and managed to live to tell the tale.

And then I traded for one more:

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#4]
No gun of mine has ever gone *bang without someone pulling a trigger first.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cb4017:

The drop issue was addressed by Sig years ago.  If it was still a problem there would still be Youtube videos all over the place of folks making their Sigs go bang for clicks.

Firing in holsters seems to be attributed to incorrect holsters and or holsters with a big opening for a weapon light, which leave the trigger unprotected while holstering.  Look at it this way.  The military has been issuing Sigs for quite a while now.  Do you think they would be doing that if Sigs just magically go off for no reason?  The security forces on the base near me are packing Sig M18s.
View Quote

I am sure the fact that military m17/18's are carried on safe helps.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
No gun of mine has ever gone *bang without someone pulling a trigger first.
View Quote

Not true. The FN FNS went off on its own and was reproducible.

Although the above has not been reproduced in the Sig p320, the p320 has undergone several (unannounced) rolling changes to the FCU that are well documented on the pistol forums. Many suspect that these changes were due to safety issues in the design of the original FCU.

In a world of so many affordable striker fired pistols without the same controversy and sketchy secretive design changes, I would recommend considering something else.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By cwm1150:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

All the M17/M18's come with the upgrade.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MartinSsempa:
In a world of so many affordable striker fired pistols without the same controversy and sketchy secretive design changes, I would recommend considering something else.
View Quote

And then one doesn't have to deal with SIG USA. Win/win.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

Not all of them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By fortydelta:
It depends on if the holster is actually made for the P320 and if you are also tucking a jacket into the holster with it.

That said, I have a M18 and a X5, one of the older ones. I have tossed them on the ground in several ways (with an empty chamber) and the striker does not drop. I can still dry fire when I pick it up.

The only way my 320s go off is if the trigger is pulled. It's up to me to keep the trigger from being pulled negligently.
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

And those USAF Security Forces troops don’t use the safety.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

NO THEY DON’T USE THE SAFETY. USAF
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:51:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

View Quote

The manual safety on the sig p320 only prevents rearward movement of the trigger and would not prevent an accidental discharge from some sort of internal failure like the striker slipping off of the sear.

There is a striker block that prevents the striker from hitting the primer unless the trigger is pulled but unlike the glock or p365 it is a very thin and flimsy MIM tab. Totally not suspicious at all that Sig would deviate from this design on their newer p365.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:28:11 AM EDT
[#14]

The manual safety on the sig p320 only prevents rearward movement of the trigger and would not prevent an accidental discharge from some sort of internal failure like the striker slipping off of the sear.

There is a striker block that prevents the striker from hitting the primer unless the trigger is pulled but unlike the glock or p365 it is a very thin and flimsy MIM tab. Totally not suspicious at all that Sig would deviate from this design on their newer p365.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

Tell me you don’t understand how the fire control group in a P320 or P365 functions without telling me you don’t know how the fire control group in a P320 or P365 functions.

You realize Sig is a massive company. The team and project managers working on the P365 were totally separate from the P320 team. The development of the P320 and P365 overlapped, sure one or two engineers worked on both programs but its not like Sig was sitting around and said, “well we better redesign this part in the P365 because”. The P365 is designed the way it is and different than the P320 because it has to be to fit into the intended size goal Sig had for the P365. Have you ever fully disassembled a P365? Everything fits together like a jigsaw puzzle. Its design and function are far more complicated due to its size. Nothing suspicious about how the P365 is designed vs the P320. To suggest that just shows ignorance about both platforms.

The P320 did have a firing when dropped issue caused by the mass of the trigger moving reward when dropped from certain angles. This was discovered by the Army during the MHS trials, the safety was already a design element, Sig redesigned the trigger to be lighter and added an additional safety element to keep this from happening. Where Sig dropped the ball was not addressing this on the civilian side of the P320s and they exacerbated the situation by boldly claiming the P320 wouldn’t fire when dropped at certain angles even though there were multiple videos proving that it actually would. I’m not sure which lawyer advised them to deny it was happening publicly but that was really stupid. I understand why they wouldn’t openly acknowledge that it would fire when dropped, that would open the company up to litigation, but to go 180 in the other direction and completely deny it couldn’t happen was dumb and has opened themselves up to doubt.

Now we have people using the wrong holster, getting items caught in the holster, people engaging the trigger while drawing, people not keeping their finger off the trigger until they are ready to fire and rather than owning their own negligence, they are blaming the firearm. Since Sig already created a lack of trust issue, it makes them an easy target to shuck responsibility off onto. The NDs are not caused by something internal causing the gun to fire simply because you’d have to have multiple parts fail all at once for the P320 to fire without the trigger moving rearward. I believe the culprit of the guns going off in the holster being caused by the design of the Safariland 6900 series of light bearing holsters allowing the trigger to be partially exposed. This makes it very easy for items such as keys to find there way into the trigger area and from there the act of bending, sitting, leaning on something is all the force needed for the trigger to move rearward and fire. The other instances are people being dishonest about pulling the trigger. Either due to embarrassment or fear of reprisal by their department.

The P320 has a very light trigger. In a lot of ways it is new to a lot of people similarly to how the Glock trigger was new to revolver users back in the 80s. Glock dealt with similar problems early on and even had to go as far as to set up shop in the basement of an NYPD station to address the ND problems with officers there. The solution was the NY12 trigger which basically made the Glock trigger as heavy as the DA revolvers officers were use to using. Safariland has addressed the exposed trigger in the 7000 series of holsters. I expect as more of them are adopted the less often you will hear about guns going off in holsters. Sig isn’t the only manufacture that has had this happen to either. The P320 is used by a ton of LE agencies, government agencies and militaries around the world. If there was some sort of design flaw it would have come out pretty quickly, just like the drop firing issue came out pretty quickly. Additionally if there was a design flaw or parts failure it could be replicated like the drop firing issue but so far, for almost 9 years now nobody has been able to replicate the issue like they could with the drop firing issue. Now days it is just uses a gotcha point by certain brand fanatics. They bring up things like MIM and quality control issues while completely ignoring their favorite pistol also uses a ton of MIM parts and firearms manufactures as a group use a whole lot of MIM now days. They also ignore just how prevalent the P320 is in 2024. It is neck and neck with the Glock as far as professional adoption goes around the world. More guns, more quality control issues happen. It’s a numbers game. Glock, HK, Beretta, CZ, Walther, they all experience the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:42:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MK318:

Tell me you don’t understand how the fire control group in a P320 or P365 functions without telling me you don’t know how the fire control group in a P320 or P365 functions.

You realize Sig is a massive company. The team and project managers working on the P365 were totally separate from the P320 team. The development of the P320 and P365 overlapped, sure one or two engineers worked on both programs but its not like Sig was sitting around and said, “well we better redesign this part in the P365 because”. The P365 is designed the way it is and different than the P320 because it has to be to fit into the intended size goal Sig had for the P365. Have you ever fully disassembled a P365? Everything fits together like a jigsaw puzzle. Its design and function are far more complicated due to its size. Nothing suspicious about how the P365 is designed vs the P320. To suggest that just shows ignorance about both platforms.

The P320 did have a firing when dropped issue caused by the mass of the trigger moving reward when dropped from certain angles. This was discovered by the Army during the MHS trials, the safety was already a design element, Sig redesigned the trigger to be lighter and added an additional safety element to keep this from happening. Where Sig dropped the ball was not addressing this on the civilian side of the P320s and they exacerbated the situation by boldly claiming the P320 wouldn’t fire when dropped at certain angles even though there were multiple videos proving that it actually would. I’m not sure which lawyer advised them to deny it was happening publicly but that was really stupid. I understand why they wouldn’t openly acknowledge that it would fire when dropped, that would open the company up to litigation, but to go 180 in the other direction and completely deny it couldn’t happen was dumb and has opened themselves up to doubt.

Now we have people using the wrong holster, getting items caught in the holster, people engaging the trigger while drawing, people not keeping their finger off the trigger until they are ready to fire and rather than owning their own negligence, they are blaming the firearm. Since Sig already created a lack of trust issue, it makes them an easy target to shuck responsibility off onto. The NDs are not caused by something internal causing the gun to fire simply because you’d have to have multiple parts fail all at once for the P320 to fire without the trigger moving rearward. I believe the culprit of the guns going off in the holster being caused by the design of the Safariland 6900 series of light bearing holsters allowing the trigger to be partially exposed. This makes it very easy for items such as keys to find there way into the trigger area and from there the act of bending, sitting, leaning on something is all the force needed for the trigger to move rearward and fire. The other instances are people being dishonest about pulling the trigger. Either due to embarrassment or fear of reprisal by their department.

The P320 has a very light trigger. In a lot of ways it is new to a lot of people similarly to how the Glock trigger was new to revolver users back in the 80s. Glock dealt with similar problems early on and even had to go as far as to set up shop in the basement of an NYPD station to address the ND problems with officers there. The solution was the NY12 trigger which basically made the Glock trigger as heavy as the DA revolvers officers were use to using. Safariland has addressed the exposed trigger in the 7000 series of holsters. I expect as more of them are adopted the less often you will hear about guns going off in holsters. Sig isn’t the only manufacture that has had this happen to either. The P320 is used by a ton of LE agencies, government agencies and militaries around the world. If there was some sort of design flaw it would have come out pretty quickly, just like the drop firing issue came out pretty quickly. Additionally if there was a design flaw or parts failure it could be replicated like the drop firing issue but so far, for almost 9 years now nobody has been able to replicate the issue like they could with the drop firing issue. Now days it is just uses a gotcha point by certain brand fanatics. They bring up things like MIM and quality control issues while completely ignoring their favorite pistol also uses a ton of MIM parts and firearms manufactures as a group use a whole lot of MIM now days. They also ignore just how prevalent the P320 is in 2024. It is neck and neck with the Glock as far as professional adoption goes around the world. More guns, more quality control issues happen. It’s a numbers game. Glock, HK, Beretta, CZ, Walther, they all experience the same thing.
View Quote

Way to show your (lack of) knowledge of the p320 by posting a long deranged rambling filled with speculation, 'muh LE and mil adoption', and zero facts. I thought this was supposed to be a tech forum.

Here is the thread in question detailing the silent rolling changes to the sig p320 to correct some obvious flaws in its design (caution: it's long)

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?43653-New-2-July-2020-SIG-P320-Lawsuit-and-P320-Concerns

I'll leave it to the individual to make up their own minds regarding the safety of the sig p320.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:02:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#16]

Way to show your (lack of) knowledge of the p320 by posting a long deranged rambling filled with speculation, 'muh LE and mil adoption', and zero facts. I thought this was supposed to be a tech forum.

Here is the thread in question detailing the silent rolling changes to the sig p320 to correct some obvious flaws in its design (caution: it's long)

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?43653-New-2-July-2020-SIG-P320-Lawsuit-and-P320-Concerns

I'll leave it to the individual to make up their own minds regarding the safety of the sig p320.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MK318:

What was deranged and rambling about what I posted? I addressed exactly the ignorance you spouted. You posted total nonsense insinuating that Sig suspiciously designed the P365 different because the P320 has some defect. Please explain how the P320 fires without the trigger being pulled? Better yet please explain how the striker “slips off the sear” and causes the gun to fire as you claimed earlier. It can’t. You literally have no idea what you are talking about and are just repeating some nonsense you’ve heard said by other people who have no idea what they are talking about. If the issue was as simple as you claim it could be replicated. It hasn’t been and can’t because the fire control group of the P320 doesn’t function the way you claimed. You are right though, it is up to the individual to decide if something is safe or not, but that is a lot harder when people such as yourself saunter into a thread and say dumb shit that isn’t grounded in reality.

You posed a thread from PF that was started four years ago. Did you even bother to read through that thread? Here let me help you. It turns out Sig is winning summery judgment after summery judgment because so far nobody has been able to show that a defect of any sort exists with the P320. Go and read the 113 page thread you linked. I have, I have been a part of that thread since it was started in 2020. I am embarrassed for you that you offered that post as some sort of evidence that you have a clue about what you are saying.

https://www.vitallaw.com/news/expert-evidence-weapons-and-firearms-e-d-pa-sig-sauer-wins-summary-judgment-in-accidental-discharge-case/lld016a7a8f28d94d49bda856c927fcbce29b?refURL=https%3A%2F%2Fpistol-forum.com%2F#

First expert. The officer’s first expert was a gunsmith hired to examine the P320 pistol’s functionality and design. He reviewed CT scans of the subject pistol and opined that based on the minimal trigger movement required to disengage the internal safeties, a foreign object or pressure against the holster could leave the gun vulnerable to a discharge without an intentional trigger pull. Manual safeties such as a tabbed trigger safety (included by Sig Sauer’s competitor Glock) could have made the gun’s design safer, he added. The manufacturer challenged the expert’s conclusion that a design defect caused the accident, pointing out that the expert (1) did not opine on what actuated the trigger in this case; (2) did not test where a finger/object needed to make contact to cause a discharge; (3) was unfamiliar with instances in which a tabbed trigger did not prevent the unintentional discharge of a Glock firearm; and (4) was unable to get his P320 to fire without trigger actuation.

Second expert. The second expert was a certified firearms instructor and range safety officer who concluded that integration of an external manual safety into the pistol’s design would have significantly reduced the risk of an unintentional discharge without adversely affecting the gun’s utility. He opined that a tab trigger that required a deliberate and square pull of the trigger would have prevented such discharge. Sig Sauer emphasized that the expert did not (1) conduct any testing to determine whether a tab trigger could have been pulled under the circumstances of the incident; (2) analyze what caused the subject trigger to move; (3) confirm whether the physical evidence was consistent with the officer’s description that his pistol was in his holster at the time of the discharge; or (4) specify whether it was an object that caused the movement or whether the pistol fired without trigger movement. The officer responded that it was clear that tabbed trigger safeties prevented firearm triggers from being unintentionally depressed and that he did not intentionally depress his trigger. The court agreed with Sig Sauer that the evidence was speculative, unsupported by studies or analyses, and inadmissible. The summary judgment motion was accordingly granted.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/heres-the-latest-on-the-lawsuits-against-sig-sauer-claiming-p320-pistols-are-unsafe/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CvYiYxWrN0O/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:14:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zaitcev] [#17]
On the one had all this stuff about P320 safety is utterly bogus. People just cannot stop.

One time someone shared a video of an officer shooting in a draw. Forum posters were up in arms, talking about holsters, and whatever. But I found the same video in a better resolution elsewhere, and it was very clear that the officer gripped with his index finger on the frame properly, but his middle finger went right into the trigger guard. As soon as he yanked the gun out of the holster, it fired. It was a stressful situation facing a suspect and these things happen. But what a circus it was online!

On the other hand, SIG deserved all this for refusing to recall the unsafe guns.

Do you guys remember that S&W shipped a bunch of Victories with cracked hammers? I bet you don't, because they recalled all of them, and replaced the hammers. But it was a worse situation than the dropped P320, because the gun could fire by itself, just laying on the table. And yet there's no outrage, no long shadow of doubt over the product. Just because the management did the right thing.

One last funny thing, SIG have not yet lost one lawsuit regarding P320. They won all of those that they decided to fight. But that one settlement paid for all the rest of them. When they paid ransom (settlement) to Bagnell, they expected him to move on to another company. But instead, they sent a message of weakness, so he literally created a career by trying to shake them down. Just another blunder by SIG corporate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top