Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2024 11:36:22 AM EDT
My kids are spider monkeys and climb on everything. They grab the handle on the safe and hang from it. I’ve even taken the handle knobs off. They still hang on the little shaft that sticks out. The wife gets mad at me for yelling at the kids to stay off of it. She says it should be made of of steel and should handle a 50lb kid hanging from it.
My question am I worrying over nothing? I don’t really want it bent and then the safe won’t open.
One is a Liberty dial lock and another is a cannon digital safe.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Better make sure it’s bolted down so it doesn’t fall on top of them and crush the kid .
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
Better make sure it’s bolted down so it doesn’t fall on top of them and crush the kid .
View Quote

That’s been done already.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By StrikeEagle15:
My kids are spider monkeys and climb on everything. They grab the handle on the safe and hang from it. I’ve even taken the handle knobs off. They still hang on the little shaft that sticks out. The wife gets mad at me for yelling at the kids to stay off of it. She says it should be made of of steel and should handle a 50lb kid hanging from it.
My question am I worrying over nothing? I don’t really want it bent and then the safe won’t open.
View Quote

Ffs sounds like your wife let's your kids do whatever they want and act however. Sounds like you two are raising a bunch of animals and not kids.

There is a time and place to climb and hang off stuff. Most of the time is not that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Your problem isn't the gun safe handle.  Get your kids into gymnastics or some other monkey sport.  At home they act like humans.  Wait until they hang on a door knob and fuck it up.  Or hang from the fridge door or a book shelf and it falls on them.  Grow a pair OP.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Johnnymenudo:

Your problem isn't the gun safe handle.  Get your kids into gymnastics or some other monkey sport.  At home they act like humans.  Wait until they hang on a door knob and fuck it up.  Or hang from the fridge door or a book shelf and it falls on them.  Grow a pair OP.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Johnnymenudo:

Zero people have yet to answer the question I asked. I didn’t ask about marriage advice
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Zero people have yet to answer the question I asked. I didn’t ask about marriage advice
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#7]
On the bigger safes, there is a weld on the connecting rod that bridges the outside handle and the inner part that opens the bolts.

This weld is made to break if there is too much force applied to the outside handle. It's to help defeat forced entries.

If this weld breaks, whether by threat or someone slamming the handle back and forth while locked, the safe door will be unable to be opened without a safe-smith being hired.

I knew someone that the weld failed, for unknown reasons to me. The safe-smith had to drill a hole in the side to push the door bolts inward. Allowing the safe to be opened.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:16:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Start by teaching them that the gun safe is part of gun safety, respect the safe and places like ammo lockers.  Maybe build a cage around the safe/handles and maybe an outdoor jungle gym.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

All mechanical, medal, and wood objects have a stress threshold.  I would wrap them in something that would make it hard to grab like a towel. And don’t let the negative Nancy’s get to you. The only kids that don’t explore and climb things are the ones I’m worried about. My Grandson would destroy that safe if it could be done. And he’s only 15 months old.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

I can't believe this is a serious question.  Yes. Kids hanging from a gun safe handle can damage it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I would have had my ass beat if I did that as a kid.
No one disciplines their kids then can't figure out why they act like wild animals.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By aod886:
On the bigger safes, there is a weld on the connecting rod that bridges the outside handle and the inner part that opens the bolts.

This weld is made to break if there is too much force applied to the outside handle. It's to help defeat forced entries.

If this weld breaks, whether by threat or someone slamming the handle back and forth while locked, the safe door will be unable to be opened without a safe-smith being hired.

I knew someone that the weld failed, for unknown reasons to me. The safe-smith had to drill a hole in the side to push the door bolts inward. Allowing the safe to be opened.
View Quote

This is your answer. It can be a costly repair. Put climbing wall in hallway instead.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:51:37 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Sometimes you get the answers you need, not only the ones you asked for.

Yes it is a bad idea.  Have your kids stop doing it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:43:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Lol?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:14:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Slingblade2006] [#15]
When I got my safe and my kids were small, I showed it to them and said "Don't touch".   They listened.   It's really not that hard.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:41:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jos51700] [#16]
There's a couple reasons you need to deal with the root cause of the problem (poor discipline) and not just determine if there's a risk of damage to your safe.

1. As mentioned: tip safety. We don't know anything about the safe or what's in it, but both are liable to be damaged as well as your kids if it tips, which negates the purpose of the safe entirely.

2. Poor discipline. If your kids don't follow orders now, wtf do you think is going to happen when they get a gun in their hands? We didn't typically have gun safes a hundred years ago, because kids caught a five across the face instant update download when they did shit like that.

3. If they're doing that, they're probably spinning that damn dial like it's going to land on 87 Black eventually. If they spin that dial hard enough, it's going to slip the clutch on one or more of the disks, and you're not going to know the new and improved combination to your safe. Those dials are meant to be spun gently, the opposite of how your foot should be connecting with your kids ass when they do this crap.

OP, the problem here is you and your wife. Cut that shit out. Get those kids in line and keep them there. I can only imagine what the rest of your life is like.

But I bet deep down inside, you know you're life is fucked up.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
There's a couple reasons you need to deal with the root cause of the problem (poor discipline) and not just determine if there's a risk of damage to your safe.

1. As mentioned: tip safety. We don't know anything about the safe or what's in it, but both are liable to be damaged as well as your kids if it tips, which negates the purpose of the safe entirely.
View Quote

If a gun safe falls on a kid, it's not a damaged kid, it's a dead kid.

When I was 8, my favorite piece of swingset apparatus looked something like this.
It's great exercise. Builds strength balance and coordination throughout the upper body.
Get those kids outdoors.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That’s been done already.

Oh wow, are the kids OK?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Zero people have yet to answer the question I asked. I didn't ask about marriage advice
View Quote
How exactly are w e supposed to know how much abuse something can handle  when it shouldn't have to handle any at all?
I'm gonna say no, they can't handle the abuse.
There.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top