Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2023 12:27:16 PM EDT
Obviously a suppressor might get dented, but how about using punches on a lower?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, but it will not look that good on a true hard anodized lower.  be sure to support wherever you're doing it so you don't bend/flex the receiver.

electroetching is 1000x better.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you serious? Not a good idea at all. Just send it off to Tarheel.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Legally speaking, sure so long and the size and depth requirements are met.

People have used dremmels, engraving pens, etc. as well in cases where they don't really care how bad it looks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Millennial:
Yes, but it will not look that good on a true hard anodized lower.  be sure to support wherever you're doing it so you don't bend/flex the receiver.

electroetching is 1000x better.
View Quote
^ Agreed.

I would do this before punches however.

Amazon Product
  • Engrave, decorate, or personalize a wide variety of materials
  • This handy tool includes a letter and number template for infinite artistic possibilities
  • It also features a soft-grip body, replaceable carbide engraving point, and variable stroke control

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Laser it and be happy!
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried it, wont work on anodized aluminum, brittle surface chips when punched, plus even if you get an imprint without chipping (not a problem on steel) impossible to line the letters up straight, looks like ass.

Pay your money, get it lasered.

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. Wasn't sure an electro-pencil would cut deep enough.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I am for sure in the laser camp. I don't think he does SBR's but this dude is a Wizard  with a laser and I have a few of his lowers that just look killer.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 3:39:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#9]
the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch
View Quote

Can you? Yes.

Should you? Probably not.

It’s your lower though, they’re cheap enough that if you hate how it turns out, you can just buy a new one.

Mailing a receiver can be a pain in this ass. DIY tattooing my lower receiver with punches seems like way more of a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#10]
You can do anything once.  But don't. It will look like complete dog shit.  

Find someone local to you, or someone you can ship the lower to, and do it with a laser.  1,000,000x cleaner and better looking.  If you don't have a local gun shop that offers laser NFA engraving, see if a local trophy shop can engrave to the required/legal depth of 0.003".
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:31:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#11]
Yes, I used a label maker to make a template and then used a spring loaded center punch to make the text.  It turned out very nice.  I covered it with black sharpie and it is almost unnoticeable.  I did mine inside the trigger guard.  I am pretty sure my shotgun has it on the barrel, but I need to take a look to remember.

You will very likely get cramps in your hand if you have a long name.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:01:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#12]
I’ve used individual letter and numeric hand stamps/punches on 80% lowers, on which they work great. They work okay on the magwell of anodized lowers so long as you support the magwell where you’re striking. If you have any bit of spatial resolution, artistic ability, or OCD it’s not difficult to line things up well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I pay a local jeweler $25 to laser engrave mine. Money well spent.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve used punches on several guns. It doesn’t look great but it gets the job done. Now I have my class 3 stuff laser engraved.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#15]
may old threads never die... dug up my thread on my experiences doing it on a 10/22.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/I-decided-to-be-that-guy-with-the-Harbor-Freight-Punch-Set-/51-485165/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top