Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2024 11:34:23 PM EDT
Couple of questions related to sending and receiving C&R firearms.

Am I correct in saying:

As a C&R holder, I have no additional abilities to ship firearms than someone without a C&R license?  So I can't use USPS to ship handguns or anything they consider "concealable firearms", and to use UPS and Fed EX, it's a hassle involving being part of their dealer shipping program and so forth?

But, as a C&R holder, I can receive, from any of USPS/UPS/Fed Ex, any firearm that's a C&R, be it handgun, rifle, shotgun, or machine gun?

Thus, if the C&R firearm is in possession of a FFL dealer, they can send it to me via any method.  If it's with either a C&R holder, or a non-C&R holder, they can mail me a rifle/shotgun/MG (unless it's a SBR MG) via USPS, but for a handgun, for all intensive purposes, they'll need to get a FFL dealer to send that to me.

This is just for the actual shipping aspect, I realize there are record keeping requirements beyond that of a non C&R holder.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#1]
All handguns that ship USPS you need an FFL ( Business FFL) and fill out form PS1508 , unless they changed it.
No restrictions on long guns.

Shipping handguns Fedex or UPS....as I understand their policy is an internal policy and not law.

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:43:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JKH62:
All handguns that ship USPS you need an FFL ( Business FFL) and fill out form PS1508 , unless they changed it.

Shipping handguns Fedex or UPS....as I understand their policy is an internal policy and not law.

View Quote

But zero restrictions on me a receiving any firearm type that's a C&R, from any shipper, is that correct?  The hassle is in shipping it, not receiving it, if I understand all the laws and rules correctly.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The shipping FFL has to file a Post Office form 1508 in order to ship a concealable weapon.  On this form , the dealer FFL has to certify that the receiving FFL IS A DEALER.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 1stID:
Couple of questions related to sending and receiving C&R firearms.

Am I correct in saying:

As a C&R holder, I have no additional abilities to ship firearms than someone without a C&R license?  So I can't use USPS to ship handguns or anything they consider "concealable firearms", and to use UPS and Fed EX, it's a hassle involving being part of their dealer shipping program and so forth?
View Quote

Yes, its a hassle.

But, as a C&R holder, I can receive, from any of USPS/UPS/Fed Ex, any firearm that's a C&R, be it handgun, rifle, shotgun, or machine gun?
View Quote

No.
UPS and FedEx will deliver to you, but for USPS....only rifles or shotguns. Handguns and other conceable firearms are only mailable between licensed dealers and manufacturers.

Thus, if the C&R firearm is in possession of a FFL dealer, they can send it to me via any method.
View Quote

Handguns can be shipped to you via UPS or FedEx.
Rifle and shotguns via USPS/UPS/FedEx.

If it's with either a C&R holder, or a non-C&R holder, they can mail me a rifle/shotgun/MG (unless it's a SBR MG) via USPS, but for a handgun, for all intensive purposes, they'll need to get a FFL dealer to send that to me.
View Quote

They'll need to have that dealer ship a handgun via UPS or FedEx.

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

USPS calls it "licensed dealer or manufacturer".
Yes, I still have to fill out a 1508.

Correct.
But if they discover that you are shipping in violation of their policies, they don't have to continue with the shipment and could let your gun sit in Bum Fuck Egypt for months while you write letters to your Congressman.

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 1stID:

But zero restrictions on me a receiving any firearm type that's a C&R, from any shipper, is that correct?  The hassle is in shipping it, not receiving it, if I understand all the laws and rules correctly.
View Quote

No.
As noted above, a licensed dealer or manufacturer has to certify on the USPS Form 1508 that the firearm is being shipped to another licensed dealer or manufacturer.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Good information, thank you.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

No.
As noted above, a licensed dealer or manufacturer has to certify on the USPS Form 1508 that the firearm is being shipped to another licensed dealer or manufacturer.

View Quote

Then what about all those dealers shipping C&R directly to C&R holders? They're not dealers.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By rickomatic1:

Then what about all those dealers shipping C&R directly to C&R holders? They're not dealers.
View Quote

Again, a licensed dealer can ship a C&R firearm directly to a C&R license using USPS/UPS/FedEx for rifles or shotguns, using FedEx or UPS for handguns.
Again, USPS allows only licensed dealers and manufacturers to ship firearms other than rifles or shotguns.

If a licensed dealer or manufacturer mails a C&R handgun to an licensed collector he violates USPS regs. (a felony)
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:14:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rickomatic1] [#10]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

Again, a licensed dealer can ship a C&R firearm directly to a C&R license using USPS/UPS/FedEx for rifles or shotguns, using FedEx or UPS for handguns.
Again, USPS allows only licensed dealers and manufacturers to ship firearms other than rifles or shotguns.

If a licensed dealer or manufacturer mails a C&R handgun to an licensed collector he violates USPS regs. (a felony)
View Quote

Thanks

There is one small loophole listed on the USPS site. If the "C&R also qualifies as an "antique", it can be mailed between collectors.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#12]
They aren't going to enroll you at a customer service center.
Try [email protected] (the account rep that did mine two years ago)
and
[email protected]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:38:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kwb377] [#13]
delete
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:08:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: blfuller] [#14]
This is in publication 52 from the USPS...

432.2 Handguns

Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in this section, after the filing of an affidavit or statement described in 432.22 or 432.24, and are subject to the following:

A. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2 and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 431.3.

B. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2, which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum that exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest, may be accepted for mailing between governmental museums without regard to the
       restrictions provided for handguns in 432.21 through 432.24 and Exhibit 432.25.

C. Air guns (see 431.6) that do not fall within the definition of firearms under 431.1 and are capable of being concealed on a person are mailable, but must include Adult Signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must comply with all applicable state and local regulations.

D. Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.

E. Mailers are also subject to applicable restrictions by governments of a state, territory, or district.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:48:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#15]
Originally Posted By blfuller:

A. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2 and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 431.3.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By blfuller:

So what handguns meet "the definition of an antique firearm under 431.3?

431.3 Antique Firearm
Antique firearm means any muzzle loading rifle/shotgun/pistol, which is designed to use black powder or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition (except those that incorporate a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof); or any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured on or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:

Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.
Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

ATF does not consider the above as a "firearm" under the GCA '68. Which also means they aren't Curios & Relics.

ATF regs don't always jibe with USPS regs.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#16]
You can absolutely ship an antique pistol (anything made in or before 1898) through USPS from C&R holder to C&R holder or better. If either party is not atleast a C&R holder, you cannot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top