Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2024 1:54:26 PM EDT
Well. Now what? I was changing the battery and the power wire snapped off. Any ideas?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Remove the keypad from safe. Resolder the wire. Reinstall and open safe.

If that’s not possible for some reason, borrow someone else’s keypad to open the safe. Then replace with a mechanical so it never happens again
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
After anger wore off I managed a temp repair, source for a regular combo anyone?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#3]
This may be the keypad you have: https://mbausa.com/safelogic-keypad-back-lit-battery-drawer-black-chrome/

Repairing yours is certainly cheaper. If you know someone with a professional account at MBA you can possibly save money too.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Cannon sent a new pad today on the house. Anyone here done a conversion to a manual?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 5:21:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MartinHewitt] [#5]
This is the best instruction material I know:
S&G 6730 Combination Lock Installation
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MartinHewitt:
This is the best instruction material I know:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmLG8tNfWQ
View Quote

Thanks. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:10:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Honestly I would just solder the wires together and continue on with my regularly scheduled life.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:34:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By vellnueve:
Honestly I would just solder the wires together and continue on with my regularly scheduled life.
View Quote

This.  

Or worse case, spend the few $100 and have a new lock installed
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Fix it to get it open, but in the meantime reach out to Canon and they will replace the keypad free of charge.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sbye:
Fix it to get it open, but in the meantime reach out to Canon and they will replace the keypad free of charge.
View Quote

Yeap, that’s what I did. This all happened the day before a trip so a slight panic but it’s all worked out..
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I work on banking equipment so I deal with locks every day.
For a different electronic lock I recommend these. They are very reliable
https://www.ebay.com/itm/126376216621
They unlock and you spin the face to move the bolt out of the way. So no little motor to fail
But make sure the wires are put in the correct spot or you kill the lock. Battery in the bat hole

If you wish to get dial lock know there are multiple grades. Consumer and higher quality, the cheaper ones are not well made
Good used ones can be had off of eBay. There are many dial locks that came off of ATMs that are available
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=la+gard+dial&_trksid=p2332490.m4084.l1313
Get a change key to set your combo on it
With the videos on YouTube anyone can install one who can change their own oil and tires
Use lock tite (blue) on the screws that hold the lock to the door
Do not close and lock the door until you have locked and unlocked the door many times
Take photos of the inside of the door so if it ever needs to be drilled the photos help mitigate the number of holes needed

FYI the flat keypad. Ie membrane keypads have open edges that will wick water into the buttons and short and corrode the aluminum conductors in the keypad
I seal the edges with clear silicone rtv to make the keypad more waterproof. Put on the edge and wipe off with a paper towel leaving the edge covered
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Nearly all of the mechanical locks presented by ebay for "la gard dial" are Chinese (at least on my side of the pond). The locks with the light gray painting. Do not use them. Really bad quality.

If La Gard, then 3330 is the most reliable and 1985 (3 wheels) and 1947 (4 wheels) are most secure. Avoid the 3390.

If Sargent & Greenleaf, then a 6730 as the basic reliable lock, the 6630 as a more secure reliable lock (and the lock which feels nicest when turning the dial, so smooth) and the 8550 as the most secure. Avoid the cheap locks with single locking wheels. Usually these are the unpainted locks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the last two posts. The keypad they sent required me to change the lock since it’s a different plug to the keypad, so I feel much more comfortable working on it now having swapped it once. I’ll look into the ideas above.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Good to know. I deal with 99% digital locks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top