BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:47:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Joshua_CapitolArmory:

I can.  The quick synopsis is a lot of folks have a misunderstanding of what and why this is the case.

If you order one item at once and pay $30 for shipping, that doesn't even cover the hard costs of shipping for one package. Two to three items on one shipment, not much more cost on our end... so no problem there. We eat a bit, but no big deal.

The issue involves multiple items on one order that get approved in quick succession, but folks choose not to wait even a few minutes, hours, or days. Now, instead of one 4473, one CLEO notice, and one shipment, it doubles everything, in turn costing us substantially more in both hard costs and employee time. It's also a labor-intensive process and significantly slows down everything.  

We just ask that folks expecting another approval in the very near future exercise just a bit of patience because it saves everyone involved substantial time and money.  We aren't asking people to wait six months, or demanding they pay extra for arbitrary reasons.  The ATF also does screwy things, and we aren't trying to profit off of random delays... but if they want to have expedited service and double the labor and costs, we simply ask they help cover that.  (Again, we're talking about approvals that are expected to happen all about the same time... many times the notifications are within minutes or hours apart.)

View Quote
I don't mind if you ship suppressors from multiple orders together. I've had that happen a few times already.

But I really don't want to wait a week to fill out my 4473 just in case another F4 is approved during that time. I paid shipping for three separate orders.  That should cover mailing the three 4473s.  Then if they are all in process for the waiting period, ship all the cans in the same box at the end. It's still going to cost less than if the three cans were approved each a month apart.

I don't get where an extra $39 shipping charge is coming from for three separate orders that each had their own shipping charges. That would be kind of like my local dealer charging me extra over the three transfer fees because he had to do them all at the same time.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
Yeah, I don't mind that.  I just had my Sonus and Tirant from separate orders delivered in the same box last week.  

But did they give you a notice that they wanted to charge you an extra $39 when you logged in to fill out your 4473?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Glocked:

I should be getting 3 delivered today from 3 separate orders today with 3 separate shipping charges. I paid X price and they'll be delivered for that price. If Capitol can make a few extra bucks, or not lose money during the process, I don't mind.
Yeah, I don't mind that.  I just had my Sonus and Tirant from separate orders delivered in the same box last week.  

But did they give you a notice that they wanted to charge you an extra $39 when you logged in to fill out your 4473?

Yes, but I’d seen a thread last month on r/NFA where CA explained it applied to multiple suppressors purchased on the same order. Not multiple different orders with multiple different shipping charges paid.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:57:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#3]

Yes, but I'd seen a thread last month on r/NFA where CA explained it applied to multiple suppressors purchased on the same order. Not multiple different orders with multiple different shipping charges paid.
View Quote
That makes a lot more sense. I must have just misunderstood.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Still waiting on my cleo notification. Hopefully that comes soon.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone certified with CA in the past couple days? Heard there are some issues with the other guys due to eForms mods or changes.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
Has anyone certified with CA in the past couple days? Heard there are some issues with the other guys due to eForms mods or changes.
View Quote
I certified a few last week.  I just posted this in another thread:  I had a problem certifying an F4 with Capitol Armory last Monday.  The guy closed and opened the F4 a couple times. Some of the questions were missing (different ones each time), so you couldn't answer them.

I called back the next day and had no problems. They said it randomly happened to some people but not everyone.

I certified another later in the week and everything went smoothly.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
View Quote

We’ll see. I just bought my first can from them yesterday, if the process is painless and the ATF approval times stay quick I’ll be wearing out my CC with them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#8]
If the problem you’re referring to is the Silencer shop certification issue, that only started on Friday 3/29, when ATF changed the form for individual submissions only.  Anything before that date, or for trusts, is something not related.  Hopefully CA can clear this up, but my experience certifying with CA is that they are doing a screen share with the actual eForm on the ATF site, so any changes in the form don’t really matter.  You see the form as it is and simply answer the questions as they are, and they manually use the next button to step through the pages.  My impression with SS is they are using some software that overlays, or ties into, the eForm that highlights the boxes you have to answer, auto refreshes every time you answer a question, and once their software senses all of the questions are answered, it automatically moves to the next page.  This is what’s failing on SS.  The software isn’t registering that the last question is answered, doesn’t refresh, and won’t move to the next page.  I asked my dealer about simply manually pushing the next button on the bottom of the page, but he said that would screw it up.  It seems like SS designed the certification process to only work with their Full Auto software and you can’t certify without their software functioning properly.

This was my first SS can purchase in a long time, having used CA for recent purchases over the last couple of years.  The can I bought was actually in stock at the dealer, so no waiting for Form 3.  I figured it would be pay, a quick certify, and then I can pick it up as soon as it’s approved.  I’m done with SS after this, even if they’re cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Mblades:

We'll see. I just bought my first can from them yesterday, if the process is painless and the ATF approval times stay quick I'll be wearing out my CC with them.
View Quote
Oh you will. I have been.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:46:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By willi3d:
If the problem you're referring to is the Silencer shop certification issue, that only started on Friday 3/29, when ATF changed the form for individual submissions only.  Anything before that date, or for trusts, is something not related.  Hopefully CA can clear this up, but my experience certifying with CA is that they are doing a screen share with the actual eForm on the ATF site, so any changes in the form don't really matter.  You see the form as it is and simply answer the questions as they are, and they manually use the next button to step through the pages.  My impression with SS is they are using some software that overlays, or ties into, the eForm that highlights the boxes you have to answer, auto refreshes every time you answer a question, and once their software senses all of the questions are answered, it automatically moves to the next page.  This is what's failing on SS.  The software isn't registering that the last question is answered, doesn't refresh, and won't move to the next page.  I asked my dealer about simply manually pushing the next button on the bottom of the page, but he said that would screw it up.  It seems like SS designed the certification process to only work with their Full Auto software and you can't certify without their software functioning properly.
View Quote
I agree. CA appears to just do something similar to a Zoom session with them opening your F4 in eForms on their desktop and then giving you control to answer the questions, etc.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:34:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sierra5] [#11]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#13]
FYI, do not use your State Police Commander as your CLEO any more.  I just got this notice about my recent 4473.   I used the State Police as it was on my Form 4 (as I've always done and I think Joshua recommended earlier somewhere in this thread)

We reviewed your 4473, and unfortunately, the information provided prohibits us from beginning the transfer process. The CLEO you selected does not have jurisdiction in the city or county where you reside. Please refer to the approval email to log in and begin the 4473 again.

Please visit your county sheriff's website and provide their correct mailing address.

PLEASE NOTE:  Due to mandates from the NFA branch of the ATF, the state police, highway patrol, and department of public safety will no longer be accepted as CLEO options

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#14]
FYI, do not use your State Police Commander as your CLEO any more.  I just got this notice about my recent 4473.   I used the State Police as it was on my Form 4 (as I've always done and I think Joshua recommended earlier somewhere in this thread)

View Quote

I got the same email for a 4473 I just did except it was for my sheriff. One sheriff resigned (I’m thinking cancer), his appointee served until DeSantis appointed our now current sheriff last month. I knew we’d switched sheriffs once, but I’ve been out of town for almost two months and didn’t know we’d switched again in late February. The new guy’s info wasn’t in their system, so I had to fill it all out.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

We reviewed your 4473, and unfortunately, the information provided prohibits us from beginning the transfer process. The CLEO you selected does not have jurisdiction in the city or county where you reside. Please refer to the approval email to log in and begin the 4473 again.

Please visit your county sheriff's website and provide their correct mailing address.

PLEASE NOTE:  Due to mandates from the NFA branch of the ATF, the state police, highway patrol, and department of public safety will no longer be accepted as CLEO options

That's interesting because in NH, the sheriff is really just a guy who runs the jail with his deputies transporting prisoners/serving paperwork.  No real LE role.

Meanwhile, many towns do not have police departments and contract with NHSP for emergency response and a couple hours of patrolling-like mine.

Note taken though-will use the sheriff.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:03:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#16]
Originally Posted By FDC:

That's interesting because in NH, the sheriff is really just a guy who runs the jail with his deputies transporting prisoners/serving paperwork.  No real LE role.

Meanwhile, many towns do not have police departments and contract with NHSP for emergency response and a couple hours of patrolling-like mine.

View Quote
Well, I think the point is, use the CLEO info from the dropdown list that CA gives you when you enter your state and county (assuming that's up to date unlike Carboard Killer's). That is vetted by them for ATF blessing I guess. They said the ATF has gotten very particular.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, I think the point is, use the CLEO info from the dropdown list that CA gives you (assuming that's up to date unlike Carboard Killer's). That is vetted by them for ATF blessing I guess. They said the ATF has gotten very particular.

View All Quotes

Well, I think the point is, use the CLEO info from the dropdown list that CA gives you (assuming that's up to date unlike Carboard Killer's). That is vetted by them for ATF blessing I guess. They said the ATF has gotten very particular.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

This is disappointing. The 4473 sent to my sheriff's office usually takes two or more attempts and a week or more to get proof of delivery whereas the state police is usually just a few days.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By WVUSIG:

This is disappointing. The 4473 sent to my sheriff's office usually takes two or more attempts and a week or more to get proof of delivery whereas the state police is usually just a few days.
View Quote
Yeah, I think that's why they previously recommended the state police in a lot of cases.

It's just more ATF security theater.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Finally got my griffin recce 5k delivered today.  Submitted back in October. The whole process with capital armory was very convenient and pretty simple. I have an explorer 223 pending as well. Highly recommend this to your door process.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:12:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sierra5] [#21]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#22]
What do I do now?

I got the digital fingerprints done, didn’t see anywhere to upload the .etf file. Called CA and was told by the rep to just email them the file.

Order still says “Awaiting Profile and/or Prints”. Did I miss something?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#23]
In Maryland the law used to require NFA sign off to be done by the state police, and they still do a MG license at state level. It should not be problem here.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Is this on the eForm 4 too, or just on the 4473 form?  CA hasn’t really given me the option on the submitted eForm 4.  They fill in the State police, even as recently as a submission a week ago.  For the 4473 form, I use my county sheriff for CLEO.  Think last year, I had to manually fill it in, but this year it was in the drop down.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:25:19 AM EDT
[#25]
I received two approved Form 4s in February and 2 more in March.  All 4 approved Form 4s had my state police chief on the actual Form 4, but for the non over the counter post approval 4473 we have used my local county sheriff.  Takes about 7 or 8 days for my county sheriff to accept/receive the certified mail, but it is what it is.  Not having to leave the house for my suppressors has been great!
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:56:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:
In Maryland the law used to require NFA sign off to be done by the state police, and they still do a MG license at state level. It should not be problem here.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:

Is this on the eForm 4 too, or just on the 4473 form?  CA hasn't really given me the option on the submitted eForm 4.  They fill in the State police, even as recently as a submission a week ago.  For the 4473 form, I use my county sheriff for CLEO.  Think last year, I had to manually fill it in, but this year it was in the drop down.
It's just the 4473. CA automatically fills in the CLEO for you on the Form 4.

Basically, select their recommendation from the dropdown list where you select your state and county when you do the 4473.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#27]
What do I do now?

I got the digital fingerprints done, didn’t see anywhere to upload the .etf file. Called CA and was told by the rep to just email them the file.

View Quote

All your RP info like prints and photos will be uploaded to the second account you’ll create with them, with the link they send you after your first purchase.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:01:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mblades] [#28]

All your RP info like prints and photos will be uploaded to the second account you’ll create with them, with the link they send you after your first purchase.
View All Quotes
What do I do now?

I already did that, didn’t realize it was a totally separate system.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:47:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sierra5] [#29]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Sierra5:
2 day approval, less than 48 hours.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/124206/1C27FDF9-62F5-42CC-AA4E-06FA19AC56DB-3177119.jpg
View Quote
Nice. Congrats!
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, I think the point is, use the CLEO info from the dropdown list that CA gives you when you enter your state and county (assuming that's up to date unlike Carboard Killer's). That is vetted by them for ATF blessing I guess. They said the ATF has gotten very particular.

View All Quotes

My CLEO was not in the drop down menu. I had to manually enter it in.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Sierra5:
2 day approval, less than 48 hours.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/124206/1C27FDF9-62F5-42CC-AA4E-06FA19AC56DB-3177119.jpg
View Quote

wow cool. I had one of those out of the 3 I had out there. still waiting on the other two going on 12 days now.  Funny before I was happy at 100 days. now its like where is my 30 min approval...proves were never happy I guess.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By bad2006z71:

My CLEO was not in the drop down menu. I had to manually enter it in.
View Quote

Me too. I find it hard to believe I am the first one in my county to use CA.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:48:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#37]
It is best to just put what agency would respond to your address if your dialed 911.
View Quote
LOL. The last time I dialed 911, a State Trooper showed up.  

Sorry, that's not helpful.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Is there any Capitol discount codes out there. Went through check out and the $30 shipping made me double take.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:50:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By azhunter13:
Is there any Capitol discount codes out there. Went through check out and the $30 shipping made me double take.
View Quote

It’s a sellers market. With 48 hour approvals they could tack on an extra 25% and still be selling suppressors like hot cakes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#41]
It is best to just put what agency would respond to your address if your dialed 911.
View Quote

For my recent paper form 4, state police was used instead of my county sheriff.  Do you think the form will get kicked back?

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:14:04 AM EDT
[#42]

It’s a sellers market. With 48 hour approvals they could tack on an extra 25% and still be selling suppressors like hot cakes.
View Quote

Give me a 25% discount for a year wait and I’d be sold

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:10:06 AM EDT
[#43]
This thread is making my wallet twitch

How the hell do I get electronic finger prints to be able to do this?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:

View Quote

You can do one set of paper prints and send them to CA, who will digitize them and use them for all submissions.  Or, if you can go to a place like printscan, who has fingerprint kiosks at a number of places like some UPS stores and get your prints taken and get the digital file yourself.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:36:39 AM EDT
[#46]

You can do one set of paper prints and send them to CA, who will digitize them and use them for all submissions.  Or, if you can go to a place like printscan, who has fingerprint kiosks at a number of places like some UPS stores and get your prints taken and get the digital file yourself.
View All Quotes

@Starcityshooter I went the route willi3d outlined above and found a UPS store not too far away. My fingers are pretty worn so it wasn’t as simple as it should have been but I’ve run into that problem with ink prints too.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#47]

@Starcityshooter I went the route willi3d outlined above and found a UPS store not too far away. My fingers are pretty worn so it wasn’t as simple as it should have been but I’ve run into that problem with ink prints too.
View All Quotes

Thanks fellas!

Off to find a UPS store local that does it
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:47:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#48]
Originally Posted By azhunter13:
View Quote
$30 isn't out of line when you consider they have to send your 4473 to your CLEO registered mail, and then your suppressor gets shipped with an adult signature requirement (which costs extra).

You also aren't paying a transfer fee, and someone is still doing all the paperwork and verifying it is correct. (for example they caught my 4473 before sending it because I had the wrong CLEO)
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#49]
My shipping was $20 via UPS.  Did they raise the shipping cost, or you just chose the $30 option instead of a cheaper one?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:04:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#50]
My shipping was $20 via UPS.  Did they raise the shipping cost, or you just chose the $30 option instead of a cheaper one?
View Quote
Shipping varies with each order.  Looking at my last five suppressor orders since November, I've paid from $19 to $30 and mostly in the mid to high 20's.
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top