Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2024 3:43:49 PM EDT
Any ideas for affordable super light covers that I can slip over regular clothing?  I was thinking of the lightweight material they use for the rain gear.  I could get a few different patterns for the different seasons without having to blow a lot of money.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
Any ideas for affordable super light covers that I can slip over regular clothing?  I was thinking of the lightweight material they use for the rain gear.  I could get a few different patterns for the different seasons without having to blow a lot of money.
View Quote

ASAT 3d leafy suit is all you'll need, OP.
Wear black or dark color underneath.

https://www.asatcamo.com/products/asat-vanish-pro-leafy-suit
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Do a search for camo bug suits. They are cheap and lightweight.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Great, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#4]
My Frogg Togg rain clothes are what you need. After almost 14 years of use I finally bought a new set.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
My Frogg Togg rain clothes are what you need. After almost 14 years of use I finally bought a new set.
View Quote

Watched a guy blow out a set of FT’s in less than a minute at an NRL match a couple years back. Hard pass.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:27:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you wanting rain gear?  Personally, I'm not a fan of it it unless it's raining as it tends to be hot and I end up sweating in it.  I wish someone would make a modern version of the reversible German splinter camo smocks.  Several companies make reproductions of the WWII patterns (usually greener on one side and browner on the other for different seasons) and I may end up getting one of those to try.  As it is I have a couple of different tops and pants that I picked up used off ebay and just mix and match as needed; sometimes you have to do some searching or wait for larger sizes (I like them one size up so that I can wear them over other clothes or gear) but they eventually show up.  Another option, if you can sew, is just to sew your own anorak and pants or bib in the color and style you like (The Green Pepper makes two different patterns that some of the people on the bushcraftusa forum have used).  Yet another option is a serape or poncho; not very fashionable these days but quick and easy to don.  More than once I've gotten off work, dashed up to the hunt club and tossed my old poncho over my regular clothes on the way to the stand.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:13:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I think this is a very viable concept.  Get several sets of the old USGI snow overwhites.  Dye/spray paint them down in several seasons.  Use as required.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:00:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#8]
I am working on coming out with both a reproduction of the WW2 german smocks, slightly modernized (different pockets and such) in modern fabrics.  And a reproduction of Russian Partizan Suits.  Which is very similar in concept.  

I already have the WW2 smock pattern done, just need to get 2 or 3 sizes dialed in, and I'll be ready to pump them out.  I have about half the partizan suit pattern done.  Both will have a few options, such as pocket options, to choose from.

After I get these done, I'm going to be working on a full-on SAS style smock, both a traditional one and a modernized one.  Hopefully in ventile, 50/50 nyco, and some advanced technical fabrics as options.

I would love to find some double sided camo fabric for this purpose, at least for the pull-over smocks.  

As for lightweight fabric, alot of those lighter weight fabrics are pretty fragile.  Though there are some really nice modern fabrics in camo  that would hold up well.  The new fabric used in the new hot weather uniforms is pretty nice.  I'm thinking about using that fabric in the smocks as a summer smock option actually.  Strip it down with minimal pockets, it should be pretty lightweight.  

I'm a huge fan of the pullover smock concept as a general purpose field top.

EDIT:  If you want to go cheap, get a couple of oldschool BDU tops in a size or two bigger than you normally wear and use them as a pullover smock.  Just leave them buttoned up and pull them on.  You can get woodland or tiger stripe for summer, multicam for general purpose, and desert / multicam for fall / winter use.  You can pick up new ones for $20-35.  USGI surplus or Propper on Amazon / ebay.  You might need to trim the sleeves shorter a little bit, but they work fine for cheap camo over-tops.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top