Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2024 12:29:12 PM EDT
Bear Creek BCA-10: First Look and Unboxing

Just got the BCA-10 in. They offer lots of different models, including side chargers, but I went with the standard charging handle setup in order to use a Bootleg adjustable carrier (more on that in a minute). This is my first AR-10, so I won’t pretend to be an expert.

The furniture is very basic: M4 waffle stock, A2 grip, and a simple clamp-on free-float mlok rail. Mine has a 16” barrel, and uses the shorty AR-10 buffers for carbine stocks. In stock configuration it’s overgassed without adding a can, so we’ll test a few rounds as-is with the can before going to the Bootleg carrier. I also have a Kyntec buffer on the way, so I’m interested to see how that does as well.

The bolt catch was very hard to get working, as the BCG didn’t want to go back far enough—last round bolt hold open also wasn’t happening. It seems to have broken in a little bit, so I’ll update as I go. Accuracy is also TBD; I’d be happy with sub 2 MOA. I’ve got it setup in a DMR type configuration currently, with a PST 1-4 and SCRS on top. The jury is still out, obviously, but hopefully this thing runs okay and can be a decent budget option for $530 or so.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I hand picked high quality parts for my Aero M5 308 and it took a few dozen rounds to break it in. Every 556 gun I’ve assembled ran like a scalded dog from the jump, but the large frame gun needed beating on before it loosened up.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
I hand picked high quality parts for my Aero M5 308 and it took a few dozen rounds to break it in. Every 556 gun I’ve assembled ran like a scalded dog from the jump, but the large frame gun needed beating on before it loosened up.
View Quote

Yup, that’s what I’m thinking. Hopefully by the 100rd mark it’s nice and broken in. I’m storing it with the bolt locked back right now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By bluedog82:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ0Zyw28ylE

Just got the BCA-10 in. They offer lots of different models, including side chargers, but I went with the standard charging handle setup in order to use a Bootleg adjustable carrier (more on that in a minute). This is my first AR-10, so I won’t pretend to be an expert.

The furniture is very basic: M4 waffle stock, A2 grip, and a simple clamp-on free-float mlok rail. Mine has a 16” barrel, and uses the shorty AR-10 buffers for carbine stocks. In stock configuration it’s overgassed without adding a can, so we’ll test a few rounds as-is with the can before going to the Bootleg carrier. I also have a Kyntec buffer on the way, so I’m interested to see how that does as well.

The bolt catch was very hard to get working, as the BCG didn’t want to go back far enough—last round bolt hold open also wasn’t happening. It seems to have broken in a little bit, so I’ll update as I go. Accuracy is also TBD; I’d be happy with sub 2 MOA. I’ve got it setup in a DMR type configuration currently, with a PST 1-4 and SCRS on top. The jury is still out, obviously, but hopefully this thing runs okay and can be a decent budget option for $530 or so.
View Quote

I am real interested in the Long term review, as well as any information on how it performs with heavy and light 308.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#4]
What’s the price on these? Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:14:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mudholestomper] [#5]

Yup, that’s what I’m thinking. Hopefully by the 100rd mark it’s nice and broken in. I’m storing it with the bolt locked back right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It’s my understanding that springs don’t soften up from static pressure, but instead from being compressed and decompressed repeatedly. But I’m no sme.

My gun just seemed like the various bearing surfaces needed to smooth out, and they were collectively conspiring to slow down the bcg.

I used a lot of cherrybalmz grease and clp and got things slicked up by shooting it. I recently added a JP bolt and it’s very slick now. It uses a 1 piece gas ring that allows the bolt to move easily in the carrier (to the point i thought something was wrong).

Nope. Runs like a raped ape and is 100% reliable with every ammo I’ve put through it. Groups are tightening up as well. I’m becoming a better shooter as well, so that probably has a lot to do with the groups.

Main thing is I really love the gun. It’s nice to shoot and nice to look at and I enjoy learning on it. I just wish it didn’t cost me $1+ every time I pulled the trigger on the 168/175gr good stuff.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:46:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By fast_fairlane:

I am real interested in the Long term review, as well as any information on how it performs with heavy and light 308.
View Quote

Me too! Winchester White Box M80 is up next, followed by M80 clone hand loads. When I get north of 100 rounds I’ll start checking the accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:47:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By writerdeluxe2006:
What’s the price on these? Thank you!
View Quote

I believe this specific SKU was ~$535 or so? Which beats the cheapest blem PSA by what, $1-200?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:47:48 AM EDT
[#8]

It’s my understanding that springs don’t soften up from static pressure, but instead from being compressed and decompressed repeatedly. But I’m no sme.

My gun just seemed like the various bearing surfaces needed to smooth out, and they were collectively conspiring to slow down the bcg.

I used a lot of cherrybalmz grease and clp and got things slicked up by shooting it. I recently added a JP bolt and it’s very slick now. It uses a 1 piece gas ring that allows the bolt to move easily in the carrier (to the point i thought something was wrong).

Nope. Runs like a raped ape and is 100% reliable with every ammo I’ve put through it. Groups are tightening up as well. I’m becoming a better shooter as well, so that probably has a lot to do with the groups.

Main thing is I really love the gun. It’s nice to shoot and nice to look at and I enjoy learning on it. I just wish it didn’t cost me $1+ every time I pulled the trigger on the 168/175gr good stuff.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/511664/IMG_4241_jpeg-3194783.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/511664/IMG_4245_jpeg-3194786.JPG
View Quote

Nice looking rig!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:12:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluedog82] [#10]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:
@bluedog82

Did you buy this firearm ? Or did BCA supply it to you ?
View Quote

They sent it out for review, as mentioned in the video. They’re not paying me anything, nor are they supplying anything but the rifle and two 10rd mags. My channel also isn’t monetized, so clicks/view/whatever don’t give me anything.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:32:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#11]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:42:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bluedog82] [#12]

Understood.

Interesting the gas tube protrudes further into the upper then a typical DPMS pattern gas tube.

BTW, if your bolt catch is being fussy... and if you screw the buffer tube in another rotation, your bolt catch might get even fussier.

I would suggest you check how much space you have between the bolt face and the bolt catch... when the bolt is fully / manually held as deep into the buffer tube as possible.  

WEAR your safety glasses !! Since the bolt catch will not be holding the BCG back and it could launch any tool holding the BCG fully back.

There should be about 3/16" free space between the bolt face and the bolt catch.

For some reason... the recoil spring looks "odd" to me... almost like it is slightly to long. Don't snip any coils or nothin' but ... I would measure its AOL and if possible the wire diameter / coil count.

Looking forward to your further precision results.

Can you post a photo of the CAVIM ammo's headstamp ?  Some of it was pretty hot ( Brazilian made version )... and it wasn't particularity accurate.

"If" you can find any DAG / MEN surplus 308, it has been pretty danged consistent for me. 100yds, benched, scoped, rapid'ish rate of fire ( shoot, back on target, shoot,  ...etc )
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171545/AIMG_2475_thumb_711861fafb2654239279af7afabd4f78-708437.jpg

View Quote

Can’t post pics right now, but the head stamp was “CAVIM 93”. It had a green sealant around the primer. And I have heard good things about MEN, I’ll have to see if I can find some. See my update below:

Update 4/23: put another 20rds through it. Got lockback on empty with a 20rd Hexmag. Threw my MG7K on there along with a Magpul SLS; way overgassed with the can obviously, but much more comfortable to shoot with the Magpul stock. Added the Bootleg BCG set to suppressed, and that tamed it even more. The final step (for now) will be the Kyntec buffer, which just came in. I shot a group of 5rds of WWB M80. It measured a few hundredths shy of 3”, with avg velocity of 2684fps per my Xero. Much more reasonable.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:22:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#13]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Oops... I should point out.. Surplus 308/7.62x51 is no where near as readily available as years ago.

And as such, some of the worst tends to be sold by less than scrupulous folks during lean times.

With that said... be sure to Google any 308 surplus purchases prior to jumping on it.

As an example... IMI / TZ early '80s has blown up numerous rifles... the ammo can look pristine ( seriously ) but is very dangerous.

I think "current" Turkish ZSR ( ? ) also has that dubious distinction as well.
View Quote

Thanks for the advice! Interestingly, the Cavim averaged 2651 for 10rds, so a little bit slower than the M80. I don’t have deep pockets, so much of my shooting will be with hand loads, both M80 clones and 175gr match loads.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:25:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#16]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Good to hear your CAVIM wasn't super fast.

And just sayin'... Maybe Consider some of the AAC 308 loads... they are fairly reasonably priced.  NOTE, they sell their own 168gr , and 175gr OTM's as well as Sierra MK loads, and I suspect Horn. bullet loads ( 178gr )

And LFAR's tend to need a longer break-in than AR15's ..IME.

FWIW... I kinda did what you are doing now, with a PSA PA10 in 2017.
Buying a lower priced PSA LFAR, ( that I could afford ) just to see what "I could get for the money".  I ended up doing numerous, simple accuracy tuning "tricks"
Anyway, it was a positive eye opening experience.

If you are interested, IM me and I will IM the numerous posts about it.

My profile pic is a PSA PA10 with a Criterion  6.5CM 22" installed ( 10rds , 100yds ) . IMHO, that was great bang for the buck, in that day.
And while I don't shoot like that every day... but by God , that day showed me I didn't need a 3K rifle to shoot a GTG group.

So I applaud your efforts.

And FWIW.. I just ordered a BCA CHF Nitrated HyWt 20" 308 barrel for $100, I will clean the bore and the bore scope the barrel just to see what 100 dollars buys from BCA.
Eventually I will install it, but with age.. time doesn't permit as much fun as it did in my youth. Lol
View Quote

I appreciate all your advice and expertise! I will be interested to see how that BCA barrel looks. I will probably grab a few boxes from PSA just to have a selection of factory ammo through the gun. Like I said, if I can get sub 2 MOA with anything cheaper than FGMM I’ll be happy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Consider buying one of these for a recoil pad.... FAR softer then a Magpul "recoil pad"
That will make your testing considerably more comfortable.
All mine have been completely durable.

I realize it is an added expense , and maybe not needed, by if you try one you will be happy.

https://limbsaver.com/collections/tactical-gear/products/magpul-sl-stock-recoil-pad
View Quote

I have those on my three precision-oriented ARs. Very good investment as they help to keep the rifle on target.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:10:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluedog82] [#19]
Singles and doubles with the @Bear_Creek_Arsenal BCA-10. Spicy ??? #guns #308 #ar10

Shot a little more today, S&B M80 averaged 2693fps and about a 4” group (with a 4x scope, mind you).  50rds down the pipe and no malfunctions.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Diligent Defense Enticer S Ti on the BCA-10, doing a little long range therapy. Sounds great! #guns

For those still following along, I took the BCA out to 400, 500, and 600yds, including a first round hit with at 600. This with a Viper 1-4; I’m very satisfied with that!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top