Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2024 12:02:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NWRed]
Is there anything that's cheap anymore? What's the cheapest currently available belt fed rifle in the US market?

1919A4 kits I think were the cheapest route before they dried up, but I'm not into building kits ( beyond reading about it online) so I may have missed out on some current option.

I've recently seen some Daewoo K2 K3 parts but not complete kits, seen current MG-47 builds on reddit but they're built using MG3/Mg42 type top covers which arent super common these days.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:24:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you're right that 1919's are going to be the cheapest right now.  They seem to run about $3500-5K depending upon builder, accessories, kit type, etc.  

I didn't even know what an "MG-47" was - had to google it.  A 3D printed amalgam of a belt-fed AK that uses an AR FCG or something?  Still not entirely sure what it is.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:33:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NWRed] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jtb33:
I think you're right that 1919's are going to be the cheapest right now.  They seem to run about $3500-5K depending upon builder, accessories, kit type, etc.  

I didn't even know what an "MG-47" was - had to google it.  A 3D printed amalgam of a belt-fed AK that uses an AR FCG or something?  Still not entirely sure what it is.
View Quote

There are steel receiver mg-47s - upside down ak barrel/ trunnion/gas system based system. Been around for 10+ years at least

http://dave2.freeshell.org/tech1/MG-47/mg47a/mg47a.htm

http://dave2.freeshell.org/tech1/MG-47/mg47b/mg47b.htm

http://dave2.freeshell.org/tech1/MG-47/mg47c/mg47c.htm

http://dave2.freeshell.org/tech1/MG-47/mg47d/mg47d.htm

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a shrike/MCR clone coming to market at half the price of the current MCR. Also has some better materials like CHF barrels and a ISO gloss bolt.

No it's not the mysterious Turkish clone. It's 100% America made and parts are in production
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:
There is a shrike/MCR clone coming to market at half the price of the current MCR. Also has some better materials like CHF barrels and a ISO gloss bolt.

No it's not the mysterious Turkish clone. It's 100% America made and parts are in production
View Quote

Anymore info on who's making it?

I have read Ares/Fightlite had a patent that prevented competition in the beltfeds AR upper market, I've assumed that was why the Turkish beltfed uppers weren't imported, but haven't researched the patents myself
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#5]
https://www.cryostructure.com/product/mcr-cloned-belt-fed-upper-receiver/
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jhoule:
View Quote

Looking at their website they're offering barrels that fit the MCR/their upper for a reasonable price compared to Fightlite barrels.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#7]
The link I sent is their not released yet upper. I have no more details other than what they have on their website.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#8]
The link I sent is their not released yet upper. I have no more details other than what they have on their website.
View Quote

At $3300 that looks like it's about the cheapest commercially produced belt fed, assuming its released. I saw that Cryo posted on reddit "in the next 90 days" a couple of weeks ago in reference to their upper.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Thinking of doing a group buy at 3100
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#10]
What does the upper even look like?  No pic at the URL above.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#11]
What does the upper even look like?  No pic at the URL above.
View Quote

My best WAG is a Shrike upper that doesnt accept mags.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By NWRed:

View Quote

It'll accept mags if you use a standard Lower. It's a direct copy of the shrike with minor material upgrades
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Get that wiselite rpd in the  EE! its REDUCED to $4800 , maybe start a striker approved fundraiser?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#14]

It'll accept mags if you use a standard Lower. It's a direct copy of the shrike with minor material upgrades
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Licensed copy ?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Licensed copy ?
View Quote

Design patents are only good for 15 years. The shrike is 22 or 23 years old
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:02:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NWRed] [#16]

Design patents are only good for 15 years. The shrike is 22 or 23 years old
View Quote

I always thought it was 20 years for all patents but I know nothing about patents, just learned this week there's a maintenance fee to hold onto your utility patent.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:07:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SGT-Fish] [#17]

I always thought it was 20 years for all patents but I know nothing about patents, just learned this week there's a maintenance fee to hold onto your utility patent.
View Quote

Utility patents are 20year. But we should be past that too. I'm looking into it but I'm sure  Paul wouldn't invest millions into this project without doing his due diligence.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Phillbilly:
Get that wiselite rpd in the  EE! its REDUCED to $4800 , maybe start a striker approved fundraiser?
View Quote

I thinking I'd gladly trade my 1919A4 for an RPD. Had I found an RPD at that price instead of the 1919 I'd probably have gone that route. Cheapest RPD Ive seen in awhile, I was too short sighted to buy one when they were affordable
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:07:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb33] [#19]

View Quote
Pretty sure it is 20 years.  The Benelli M4 was designed in 1998 and only recently; 2018 or 2019, did the M4 clones start coming out using the same ARGO system.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:16:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SGT-Fish] [#20]
Pretty sure it is 20 years.  The Benelli M4 was designed in 1998 and only recently; 2018 or 2019, did the M4 clones start coming out using the same ARGO system.
View Quote

15 year design
20 year utility

Though I don't see a patent under herrings name for the shrike/MCR. Just the dedicated lower from 2006 and some of his other designs.

I've actually heard that he wasn't the first one to make it. And have seen pictures of a prototype someone made years before him that looked similar. Plus tou have the old stoner/ceiner design that is a belt fed AR.

The reason we never got the Turkish clones is because the company ghosted Vengarr's rep when he went to turkey to make the deal. Then vangarr passed away
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:19:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NWRed] [#21]
Utility patents are 20year. But we should be past that too. I'm looking into it but I'm sure  Paul wouldn't invest millions into this project without doing his due diligence.
View Quote

View Quote

Looks like Utility patents are 20 ( how it works)  and Design patents are 15 ( how it looks), which we've passed 20 on at least 2 of the patents related to the Shrike upper. He still has a patent for the bolt carrier it appears :
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20110030260A1/en?inventor=Geoffrey+A.+Herring&sort=new

I didnt realize the 249 dovetail cut receiver was a Geoff Herring invention
https://patents.google.com/patent/US7428795B2/en?inventor=Geoffrey+A.+Herring&sort=new

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:31:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NWRed] [#22]

15 year design
20 year utility

Though I don't see a patent under herrings name for the shrike/MCR. Just the dedicated lower from 2006 and some of his other designs.

I've actually heard that he wasn't the first one to make it. And have seen pictures of a prototype someone made years before him that looked similar. Plus tou have the old stoner/ceiner design that is a belt fed AR.

The reason we never got the Turkish clones is because the company ghosted Vengarr's rep when he went to turkey to make the deal. Then vangarr passed away
View Quote

He's got 8 or 11 patents, I think it may be the middle initial thats changing the search results
https://patents.google.com/patent/US7040213B2/en?inventor=Geoffrey+Herring&oq=Geoffrey+Herring

I emailed the Turks after talking to Vengarr on the phone about the uppers.  The Turks said they had a sole distribution deal with a US distributor - shawnee outdoor llc IIRC  - indoor shooting range in OK or a lawn mower sales place.....Turks never replied when I asked for contact info.
ETA:
CANER ALP
Wed, May 25, 2022, 4:49 AM
to [email protected], me

System Defence has an exclusive importer in USA. if you interested with our products. You should contact with SHAWNEE OUTDOOR LLC

Colt -->Ceiner-->Valkyrie Armament-->Slidefire ,  and they went out of business/bankruptcy in 2018 IIRC. One of the Slidefire's just recently sold on gunbroker (auction ended with no bids and wasn't relisted ) and then showed up in a reddit post by the new owner a week later. I found it on reddit and worked backwards to find the old auction. It was another non Colt 6920 built gun so I'm assuming it was built after the bankruptcy from parts and not assembled by VA or Slidefire.

ETA: Anyone going to shotshow?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:16:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll ask Nick Chen if he is able to stop by their booth and get some details.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#24]
We are working on the new version of our 9mm beltfed upper. Looking to cut chips in 4-6 weeks on the working prototype with production to follow shortly after. Our goal is to stay sub 3k
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 9mmBeltfed:
We are working on the new version of our 9mm beltfed upper. Looking to cut chips in 4-6 weeks on the working prototype with production to follow shortly after. Our goal is to stay sub 3k
View Quote

@9mmBeltfed

Need to come out with the 308 beltfed upper you were teasing a few years ago. For sub-$3k also
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Ben:

Wait, WTF? He died? When was that?
View Quote

@Ben
May of '23

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Vengarr-is-Dead/151-2648249/?page=1
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Ben:

Oh man, I do remember seeing that now. Wow...totally forgot.
View Quote

He was a cool dude for sure
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Posted in the other thread. but I miss Pete too.

We talked for hours, a lot of it about these Turkish belt feds, nicest guy.....

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Belt Fed upper for $3300, I am interested
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Looking at their website they're offering barrels that fit the MCR/their upper for a reasonable price compared to Fightlite barrels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If anyone orders, please @ me, i am very interested, but prioritizing to build up ammo stock as I  suspect the price is gonna go up given that its an election year. Especially interested in cross compatibility with the barrels, the spares at fightlite are now stooopid expensive so I just dont buy them. Watching the upper price double during covid didn't help warm fuzzys about the company either.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Wammel:

If anyone orders, please @ me, i am very interested, but prioritizing to build up ammo stock as I  suspect the price is gonna go up given that its an election year. Especially interested in cross compatibility with the barrels, the spares at fightlite are now stooopid expensive so I just dont buy them. Watching the upper price double during covid didn't help warm fuzzys about the company either.
View Quote

All parts should be cross compatible. Barrels definitely are as it's advertised as such.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Ah but "should" is not the same as "is", and I'm not sure I want to save a few hundred for a barrel that is so out of spec it may kaboom the rest. I'd also like to know the  company is reliable and selling a solid product. As I've got access to an informed community I will wait and get some reviews on this one.  As much as I want to buy one today
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#35]
The company has been around a while and has a great reputation. But I understand waiting to buy a new product.

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#36]

@9mmBeltfed

Need to come out with the 308 beltfed upper you were teasing a few years ago. For sub-$3k also
View Quote

I don't know about sub 3k but probably still be reasonable for the market. Let us get our 9mm back out in the wild lol but 308 has been mentioned again.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

He's not.

The patents are done.

Wait until the 308
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#38]

All parts should be cross compatible. Barrels definitely are as it's advertised as such.
View Quote

They will be.

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By organdoner:

He's not.

The patents are done.

Wait until the 308
View Quote

Originally Posted By organdoner:

They will be.

View Quote

@organdoner

You have the inside scoop at Cryo?
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#40]
yea more info if you have it this price point is reasonable....
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I know where there’s an RPD for $3500.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:52:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By cms81586:
I know where there’s an RPD for $3500.
View Quote

You're killing me!!! @cms81586

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#43]

You're killing me!!! @cms81586

View Quote

@NWRed

Sent you a PM with seller info if you’re serious.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Still nothing from Cryostructure.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#45]
perhaps @SGT-Fish has an update.  it seems he knows the cryo-structure owner
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 10:47:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: okent] [#46]
I'm in the market for a 556 upper.  Was going to get an MCR next month but if there's a group buy on the one from Cryo I'm in for that.(SGT-Fish)
Just signed up for email notifications.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#47]
I can't even get the email notifications to work.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
I can't even get the email notifications to work.
View Quote

Same, gave me a message saying I was a scam response.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Hey guys, I just got off the phone with Paul.  If you want the lowdown, and to get on a reservation list, you need to call.  He's got another product in the works that I am VERY excited about-the same belt fed upper, but in 7.62.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
Hey guys, I just got off the phone with Paul.  If you want the lowdown, and to get on a reservation list, you need to call.  He's got another product in the works that I am VERY excited about-the same belt fed upper, but in 7.62.
View Quote

It fits on an AR10-sized lower, not an AR15-sized lower, right?  I guess an MCR clone in 7.62x51 might possibly be designed to work on an AR15-sized lower if you removed the mag-feed capability.  As an M16 owner, semi-auto beltfeds don't interest me as much, but if there was a way I could get a 7.62x51 beltfed upper to work on it I'd be very interested.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top