Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2023 1:22:06 PM EDT
New to semi-serious air rifles and recently I got a Gamo Wildcat Whisper 177cal for shooting rats in the back yard and basic plinking.

Thing can really shoot but I have observed that it will shoot 3 - 4 into one hole, then start opening up a little.

Don't get me wrong, I am accustomed to this in regular rifles, but is it common in air rifles?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#1]
You shoot 3-4, it opens up, and then what?
Are you alluding that it needs a break, to cool, before groups settle down?
Have you tried cleaning the barrel, after those initial shots, to see if that helps?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#2]
177 is very subject to slight wind variations.  My high end Daystate, a gammo times about 15 in cost will stack 5 or 6 at 40 yards and then even if a puff of wind develops, it goes off by 1/4 -3/8 inch.  Wind stops and back to stacking.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By User55645:
You shoot 3-4, it opens up, and then what?
Are you alluding that it needs a break, to cool, before groups settle down?
Have you tried cleaning the barrel, after those initial shots, to see if that helps?
View Quote

Its very consistent/repeatable.  First 3-4 one jagged hole, then it opens up, sometimes up to half an inch.  Set it aside and try again the next day, same effect.  Clean bbl and same issue.

Shooting in fully fenced in back yard so wind isn't much of an issue.  Let alone its August and I wish we had some wind (rain would be nice too).
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Is your seal getting worn. I had one of the leather seal RWS do that. I can’t remember the name of the shop I sent it to. But I think Pyramid Air replaces them also.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
Is your seal getting worn. I had one of the leather seal RWS do that. I can’t remember the name of the shop I sent it to. But I think Pyramid Air replaces them also.
View Quote

Its still fairly new, had it less than a month.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mlg123:

Its still fairly new, had it less than a month.
View Quote

Are you shooing good quality pellets? I don’t think this is the issue but extreme difference in pellet weight on .177 can cause some issues. I’m still betting on the seal being the culprit. I would shoot it across a chronograph to see if the velocity is consistent.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Are you shooing good quality pellets? I don’t think this is the issue but extreme difference in pellet weight on .177 can cause some issues. I’m still betting on the seal being the culprit. I would shoot it across a chronograph to see if the velocity is consistent.
View Quote

SIG Air Match.  does the same with Daisey FP and Crossmans
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Its a break barrel, do I need to work on my open/close technique?
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#9]

SIG Air Match.  does the same with Daisey FP and Crossmans
View Quote

My RWS 34 likes the Sig Air Match but it will not shoot any Daisy pellet I have tried. Crossman is hit or miss depending on the batch. Other than velocity seating the pellet can make a difference. Look for lead streaks on the back of the breach. If you are shaving the pellets that can cause flier’s. I would suggest a cheap chronograph and look at your velocity. Sometimes it is a bit of a learning curve to shoot spring powered air rifles consistently.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#10]

My RWS 34 likes the Sig Air Match but it will not shoot any Daisy pellet I have tried. Crossman is hit or miss depending on the batch. Other than velocity seating the pellet can make a difference. Look for lead streaks on the back of the breach. If you are shaving the pellets that can cause flier’s. I would suggest a cheap chronograph and look at your velocity. Sometimes it is a bit of a learning curve to shoot spring powered air rifles consistently.
View Quote

Ok, thanks, I'll stick with it and work on handling technique.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Not sure about gas piston guns but spring piston airguns are sensitive to hold and follow thru for consistent accuracy.
They are actually a challenge to fire tiny groups Vs a PCP gun.

Link Posted: 9/2/2023 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
Not sure about gas piston guns but spring piston airguns are sensitive to hold and follow thru for consistent accuracy.

View Quote

Ok, I think I see where you're going, I hadn't thought about a potentially longer dwell time.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Ok, I think I see where you're going, I hadn't thought about a potentially longer dwell time.  Thank you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

And, I'm happy to report that you were right, all shooter error.  Bagged it down and slowed down and things tightened right up.

Didn't realize just how sensitive an air rifle can be.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Spring piston ones can be a challenge to keep tiny groups with because of the oscillation of the spring. Poster above mentioned holding the follow through. They are also a lot of fun when you can't shoot a firearm in town.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#15]

And, I'm happy to report that you were right, all shooter error.  Bagged it down and slowed down and things tightened right up.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I’m glad you got it straightened out. Mine led to several more and then to a couple of PCP air rifles. I had some ten inch prairie dog targets laser cut for air rifle play. Now if it would just cool down enough to weld them into swinging targets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top