Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2024 9:00:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clay408]
I am the proud owner of a new Rugged Obsidian 45 and 9.

I discovered that I can add the module portion of the Obsidian 45 to the end of the full length Obsidian 9.

Will this result in a baffle strike or other malfunction if used with a 9mm handgun? Does that change depending on the end cap size (9 vs 45)? Or will it increase sound suppression? (my intention)

Best,
Clay

Edit: Would it also work the other way around? 9 module attached to full length 45 with either endcap, shooting 9mm ammo.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#1]
In.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol. I'm pretty sure it's illegal
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:14:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mav3rick] [#4]
Do it.

We Built The Longest SILENCER In the WORLD
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By zpduff:
View Quote

Why would you think that? There are many suppressors that you can change the length by adding and removing pieces.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd think you'd be totally fine. I'd put the 45 modular section on the full length 9mm and shoot it that way.

Hell I guess I'm glad I only have a obsidian 9 at my disposal, cause if I had both I know what I'd be doing today.

Thanks for this little nugget of info, OP.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#7]
You are right, now that I think about it. The form 4 specifies the suppressor length, which includes both lengths with/without the module. So if I extended it by combining parts from both suppressors, it would no longer be the same suppressor identified by the form 4 and therefore illegal. Sheesh....
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:40:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Clay408:
You are right, now that I think about it. The form 4 specifies the suppressor length, which includes both lengths with/without the module. So if I extended it by combining parts from both suppressors, it would no longer be the same suppressor identified by the form 4 and therefore illegal. Sheesh....
View Quote

who would know?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DMG-LDS:

who would know?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DMG-LDS:
Originally Posted By Clay408:

who would know?

how is that any differnet from switching uppers on a factory SBR ar15?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:27:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#10]
Originally Posted By PvtJoeBauers:

Why would you think that? There are many suppressors that you can change the length by adding and removing pieces.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PvtJoeBauers:
Originally Posted By zpduff:

I believe I’ve seen some of the manufacturers here mention before that ATF’s issue is with changes, modifications, and upgrades to a silencer that make it bigger than it originally was. I could just be misremembering what I read though, maybe one of them can say for sure.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ECCO_Machine:

Because the rules are different for cans.  It is illegal to add length or change caliber.  Stupid, but reality.

Removable mounts/adapters are generally not considered to alter OAL.  Modules or reflex chambers are not mounts & adapters,  though.  They are silencer parts.
View Quote

Dammit!  An expert.  I was enjoying the what-ifs and lamentations about possibly breaking the law but you had to come in here and ruin it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top