Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2023 11:10:37 AM EDT
What's the longest you've gone between compliance inspections?
I was talking with another 07/02 the other day and he said he just had his second compliance inspection. He said his last one was 8 years ago.

Hes not big time by any means, he has 30 NFA items and 20 non-NFA items on his books.

I got my ffl in 2021 and haven't had one yet and I figured I would get one in the next year or so.
I thought they did compliance inspections every 3 years.

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#1]
As my IOI said, there are thousands of FFLs and only so many inspectors. She said they try to do one every couple years but in reality it's every 3-5 years if you aren't on the naughty list. She said it's not uncommon to no get inspected before having to renew.

I have heard from others that having your SOT makes you higher priority though. Also I live closer to an ATF office with inspectors so I assume I'll be inspected more as they don't have to make travel arrangements
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a small time, kitchen table FFL/SOT dealer. I went almost five years between inspections, December 2018 - June 2023. But my paperwork is error free.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#3]
The compliance people have not been @ work in a very long time probably before One Big Ass Mistake was re-elected in 2012.  The last time the 2 gals were here for about a day and half.
We fed them cookies, coffee, and gave them a decent work space.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I had an 01 for 3 years.  No inspections.  Had 07/02 for 5 years now.  No inspections.  No traces, and anything I sell locally is extremely unlikely to be traced.   Stuff I sell online = who knows?  
When you renew your license, they want to know how many acquisitions & dispositions in the last 3 years, so I suppose they use that data to get an idea of how much stuff you're moving.  I do about 30-35 4473s per year, and I'm way out in the woods, hours from any office, so I imagine I'm a low priority.  I think the inspection frequency varies a lot, depending on that licensee's data.
I try hard to stay on my toes and be ready for it when it comes, though.
When it's low volume and one person handling all the 4473s, much less likely for a mistake than an employee in a busy store.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#5]
01 and went right at 20 years before the first. IOI was pretty new and one of many many new hires from what he said. Told to expect regular visits from here on out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Was every three years, but last one was a little over 6.

ATF publishes how many they do in their annual report. It is about 10% of FFLs get inspected each year. So many are not seeing an inspection for a decade or more.

I know where I am FFLs about an hour north of me do not get inspected. No IOI wants to drive that far. IOI told me this as they are making a push to get to these ffls this/next year.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:
I know where I am FFLs about an hour north of me do not get inspected. No IOI wants to drive that far. IOI told me this as they are making a push to get to these ffls this/next year.
View Quote

Perhaps that explains why we've had five in 15 years; too damned close to Martinsburg WV.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Had mine for 9 years never seen a sole. Not once. Just got rid of the license a year ago.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Got my FFL in 2020 and just renewed it a month ago. No inspections yet but I'm small time and haven't had any traces so I'm assuming I'm not a priority by any means right now.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Got mine in 2013. I've never had one. I'm pretty small time though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top