Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2024 6:08:39 PM EDT
Howdy all, hopefully this is okay, not a for sale post.

I'm helping a friend's widow liquidate his firearms and we're a bit stuck with how to price his M14.
I was hoping to get some input from folks with more knowledge of the platform.
We have original retail and can determine value of the accessories but we all know how that goes.
I've included details and a couple of pictures, any input would be appreciated!
It's a Fulton Armory in 7.62mm NATO, with a Vltor synthetic stock and TruGlo 1-6x24 LPVO.  The factory walnut stock would be included along with I think 7 20 round mags and the case in the picture.

Thanks!

Rifle:

Build info from Fulton:

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think 2500 or so. Scope and case add no value, Mags do.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ike838:
View Quote

Right on, thank you sir.
I figured scope and case were just window dressing.

Keep the input coming!

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]
That's pretty nice, I'm thinking a little more. 3K with all the accessories.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#4]
If selling I would need to clear 3k minimum.
If buying, 2500.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 5:32:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By cschaeff:
That's pretty nice, I'm thinking a little more. 3K with all the accessories.
View Quote

Thanks man, good to know.

There’s a good sized gun show in our area in a few weeks she’s thinking about renting a table at. It’s nice to have a good starting point for the inevitable haggling.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice rifle but the market for high end 14s is extremely limited.  They have a following but it pales in comparison to almost everything else out there.  At $2500 that thing will sit a long time.  $2000 it might move.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Nice rifle but the market for high end 14s is extremely limited.  They have a following but it pales in comparison to almost everything else out there.  At $2500 that thing will sit a long time.  $2000 it might move.
View Quote

That’s a concern she and I talked about.
It’s almost a niche gun and finding the right buyer would be a challenge.
My friend also had a very well built up Jeep Wrangler purpose built for rock crawling. It sold quick but his wife lucked out finding a buyer at the right time. If it were bone stock it wouldn’t have been a concern.

Many thanks to everyone who’s chimed in, much appreciated!
I’ll share all the info provided with her and go from there. I may lug it around with a for sale sign at an upcoming gun show, and the FFL I use also does consignments, which may be an option.

Before anyone asks I’ve thought about buying it, but can’t justify the $ for something that’ll get shot a couple of times a year.

Thanks again!

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Fultons on sold GB ads have a big range starting at $1500.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By pepe-lepew:
Fultons on sold GB ads have a big range starting at $1500.
View Quote

Would naturally rather not go that low if it can be helped.
She’s been sitting on it for over a year so I don’t think she’s in a rush.
The FFL I use has a GB shop and does consignments so that may be last ditch effort to sell.

Thanks again all for the input!
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Clone guys will like the stock.

May be able to move it faster swapping it back to wood and selling the Vltor stock separately.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:09:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#11]
Originally Posted By Deputyjason:  May be able to move it faster swapping it back to wood and selling the Vltor stock separately.
View Quote

My very first thought, as well - put it back in the wooden stock.   You can offer it as a package or sell the accessories separately but the rifle should be in its walnut stock.  

ASSAULT WEAPON ISSUES -
That pistol grip stock and the flash hider make this an assault weapon preventing its sale into California and several other states.  The wooden stock removes the pistol grip issue.  If you install a dummy flash hider or a muzzle brake instead of the flash hider, it is good to go in all 50 States.  Magazines holding more than 10 rounds cannot be sold into California, so that's another reason to offer the rifle separate from the accessories.

Making those changes is very easy to do and opens up markets (potential buyers) which are inaccessible in the rifle's current configuration.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

My very first thought, as well - put it back in the wooden stock.   You can offer it as a package or sell the accessories separately but the rifle should be in its walnut stock.  

ASSAULT WEAPON ISSUES -
That pistol grip stock and the flash hider make this an assault weapon preventing its sale into California and several other states.  The wooden stock removes the pistol grip issue.  If you install a dummy flash hider or a muzzle brake instead of the flash hider, it is good to go in all 50 States.  Magazines holding more than 10 rounds cannot be sold into California, so that's another reason to offer the rifle separate from the accessories.

Making those changes is very easy to do and opens up markets (potential buyers) which are inaccessible in the rifle's current configuration.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
Originally Posted By Deputyjason:  May be able to move it faster swapping it back to wood and selling the Vltor stock separately.

ASSAULT WEAPON ISSUES -

Very solid points, thank you gents. I will share all that with my friend’s wife. I didn’t get out of the sell it local mindset.

That’s an option if it comes to listing it nationally.

Best case is we find a buyer here in VA where the restrictions  won’t come into play. Just trying to keep it simple for her. I think I think I mentioned it’s been in the back of a closet for a year, not like she needs sell it to keep the lights on, would just like to see it move for a fair price.

I can list it for her on a local board for a bit to what kind of traction it gets. If we need to get it on gunbroker we may end up crossing that bridge.

You guys rock, truly appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Def put it back in wood. The upgrades are all the right things. Its a nice custom riff.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#14]
When liquidating an estate with a significant number of guns, I have had very good luck contacting and using an auction house that focuses on guns.
Often for collections they will come to you, give you a receipt and take care of everything.
One of my local auction houses I have used frequently has always done good by me.
You give them the items ( mine will take pretty much everything -guns  ammo reloading supplies and equipment etc

It saves a grieving family a ton of hassle.

They take pictures, post the gun on line usually on big sites that attract a nationwide audience ( people that wouldn’t be reached any other way) like proxibid or hibid.

Once sold, they handle the shipping ffl etc

Then a check appears in the mail.

Yes they take about 20% or so in most cases for a sellers premium but even with that they usually get top dollar for hammer price, often a lot more than you would expect.

Over the years I have used a couple auction houses in this manner for roughly 100 guns. Only one time did I not end up getting more for a gun than I had into it.
In a couple cases I literally got thousands for a gun I bought years earlier for a few hundred bucks.

Instead of having to meet and coordinate with potential buyers, deal with transfers etc by yourself, it makes things so much easier, and really does get you top dollar
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:45:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ike838:
View Quote

I'm late to the party but a $3K Fulton M14 with a $200 scope seems a bit... silly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top