Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2023 1:06:51 AM EDT
I know – a potential topic of blasphemy.  

BUT I just can’t shoot irons anymore.  Pretty much all I shoot has to have glass on it.   I have many thousands of rounds of corrosive 8mm and only one bolt gun, a Yugo M48 wi ZRAK ONM76B, basically I turned it into a clone of a Yugo Civil War, field-expedient sniper.  Shoots GREAT.  

I have a few semi auto 8mm’s but I don’t like to shoot corrosive out of them.  I’d like to put together at least one other bolt gun to run the corrosive through.  I’m considering putting a scope on a either a Czech BRNO 98/29 Persian Mauser, all matching in VG condition or a Yugo 24/47 also all matching in good condition.  Both have mirror bright bores wi razor sharp lands

Question is, before I just drill & tap either I’m wondering if there was some kind of Sniper I could seek to clone.  No, I’m not interested in scout mount scopes.  Scoping the longer barreled Persian is intriguing and I already have an M48 Yugo glassed.  Also, I already have a MINT museum piece 98/29 I got from Samco years ago (the ultimate wall hanger, safe queen).  I’d have to get spare bolts for either and turn em down.  Is there some pattern Persian that ever came with
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#1]
You don't have to drill and tap anything. Get a scout mount that replaces the rear sight.

I put one on my K98 and it's perfect, you can still use stripper clips too.

I went with a Hi-lux steel mount and their 2-7x LER scout scope, it's not expensive either.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 12:40:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ll go with a scout set-up here on the Persian.  The Bad Ace mount seems most common

https://www.badacetactical.com/collections/ndt-mount-for-mausers/products/mauser-low-profile-scope-mount

However, when it comes to scout scopes, I’m hoping BDC reticle with FFP.  About the only thing I have turned up is the Hi-Lux LER 2X-7X with 308BDC reticle .

https://hi-luxoptics.com/products/hi-lux-optics-long-eye-relief-2x-7x-riflescope?variant=36901033485

Should be, but I’m not a ballistics guy.  How will the 308 BDC reticle serve with to use with 8mm? (out to 400yds)  Are there any other LER, FFP, BDC scout scopes that could be appropriate for a 29” long, 8mm barrel such as the Persian 98/29 ?
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]
You'd be money ahead selling them and getting one already sporterized.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this another one of those parody threads?  Sell them and buy what you need....
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rarecat:
Is this another one of those parody threads?  Sell them and buy what you need....
View Quote

How helpful.  Thank you for the contribution
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have to do one of them do the Yugo.  The Persian was produced in much lower numbers and is far more valuable as a collectible.  Like others have said it would probably be cheaper to sell the yugo and find a sporterized  one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Got her back out today.  Nice 61-degree break from the recent deep freeze.  Using 1990’s 8mm Yugo M75 I was able to zero in with repeatable 2” (+/-) groups.  Could stretch out to 400yd, 12” steel with ease.  I moved over to 1956 Yugo M49 on stripper clips.  Despite overall less than favorable reports, I loaded up on a healthy stash 15 years ago for just under .20cpr.  I learned early on not to run this through my M76 nor any semiautos (another story) so I buried it.  Unfortunately, during the 2010 Nashville floods it sat under water for almost 2 days.  In recent years I’ve had good results with it through my only other scoped 8mm bolt gun, an M48 Balkan Civil War DMR clone under an ONM76B scope.

I tried it a few weeks ago through this Persian 98/29 and got almost 100% fail-to-fire.  I broke down and cleaned the bolt (very dry old cosmoline crud in and about), installed a 22lb Wolff bolt spring and now I’m getting an acceptable light strike from only 1 in 20 rounds (+/-).  2nd strike always goes bang.

Here's what’s pretty killer:  Without a single click adjustment to the scope my buddy and I were reliably able to whack that 12” plate, @ 400yds, time after time with pretty much 8 out 10 hit ratios.  That’s 70 year old ammo though a 90 year old rifle !!!  As another well known member on some other forums says:  “whatta hobby” !

(Still hate shooting through an LER scope, although, it's bright and clear.  Just a PITA to acquire sight pic.)
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:00:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kmad2001] [#8]

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]
There are SO many sporterized Mausers around I’d encourage you not molest an intact military rifle. There are MANY 8mm guns that have already been modified on the market and they’re relatively inexpensive. Remember that guns are immortal, and we are not. Our guns will eventually wind up being owned by someone else after we’re gone. We are only temporary stewards. You can pass along an intact piece of history, or a disappointment. I’m speaking from the perspective of someone who has restored multiple abused military surplus guns.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:56:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GRMGR1:
There are SO many sporterized Mausers around I’d encourage you not molest an intact military rifle. There are MANY 8mm guns that have already been modified on the market and they’re relatively inexpensive. Remember that guns are immortal, and we are not. Our guns will eventually wind up being owned by someone else after we’re gone. We are only temporary stewards. You can pass along an intact piece of history, or a disappointment. I’m speaking from the perspective of someone who has restored multiple abused military surplus guns.
View Quote

Thank you for your input but did you read the thread? Particularly the post right above yours?
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Persians are beautiful rifles.  Bid long by todays standards but they can make the most of it.  Glad you are letting the old lion roar.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:32:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kmad2001] [#12]
Topic of blasphemy (for some). I'm going to clone the 24/47 into a Balkan "Conflict" DMR via a set of ZRAK Swing Mounts + ONM76B scope. And I bought an M48, bent handle, bolt body off eBay and swapped internals wi the 24/47 bolt.

I transferred a BadAce + LER Burris from my 98/29 Persian last night just to see how she shoots today.

Bottom line:
- I can't shoot anything w/o glass anymore.
- I did the same wi a minty-bore M48 that was gathering dust for years and now it gets to go out and play quite often.
- I have two lifetimes' supply of 8mm that I'd just assume not run through my semi autos.
- I like shooting military config "History".
Oh, and I really REALLY don't care for the scout+LER set up / solution. I was pounded into submission from the hive for even suggesting I would tap and drill the Persian. This is my insubordinate, pushback with a less valuable collectible that woulda/shoulda/coulda worn the hardware I'm putting on it in real life. Actually I've read that 24/47s came in DnT'd or even wearing Mauser / Zrak bases so . . . . .

. . . . and going to enjoy the company of her siblings.

https://imgur.com/a/rro5JPt

https://i.imgur.com/Z7JQb0Q.jpeg
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By kmad2001:
I’ll go with a scout set-up here on the Persian.  The Bad Ace mount seems most common

https://www.badacetactical.com/collections/ndt-mount-for-mausers/products/mauser-low-profile-scope-mount

However, when it comes to scout scopes, I’m hoping BDC reticle with FFP.  About the only thing I have turned up is the Hi-Lux LER 2X-7X with 308BDC reticle .

https://hi-luxoptics.com/products/hi-lux-optics-long-eye-relief-2x-7x-riflescope?variant=36901033485

Should be, but I’m not a ballistics guy.  How will the 308 BDC reticle serve with to use with 8mm? (out to 400yds)  Are there any other LER, FFP, BDC scout scopes that could be appropriate for a 29” long, 8mm barrel such as the Persian 98/29 ?
View Quote

I have that mount and that scope on a 8mm Mauser. Cant go wrong. Made the rifle 1000X more fun to shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top