Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2024 1:39:25 PM EDT
Ordered one on Friday and it showed up this morning.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:41:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AbleArcher] [#1]
First impressions are it is very well put together.  Starting at the lid:

Attachment Attached File

Tons of space and pockets.

Consider this a place holder, I have to scale down the photos to post them.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The actual pack itself:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It seems very well put together and the materials appear to be of good quality and construction.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:46:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AbleArcher] [#3]
Plenty of storage options and access to the main body:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:17:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Hopefully I'll get it out for a ruck this week and then some shooting Sunday as well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Had just a little bit of time to get it out today.

Attachment Attached File

No real weight in it and just a little bit of running and gunning. Interfaced perfectly with the Onward Research Recce Rig.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Put about 4 miles on it this weekend with no real weight just to identify rub points, of which I didn't notice any.

Did some more moving and shooting today and incorporated the mags and pistol onto the belt.

Attachment Attached File

Overall I've been very happy how it's come together as a system so far. I'll keep getting miles and time on it to see how it continues to shake out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Looking good brother!  This is the pack a lot of guys have been asking for.  Something in between an assault pack and a "3-day" pack.  Like about 45L size.  So for sure a good "overnight" pack, with just enough size for food, water, comms, overhead cover, ranger roll, and maybe a few clothing layers per season.  What has been called a 3-day pack, is more like what I think of as an over night pack, and this is it.  The DG3/CF3 is more of what I call a true 3-day+ pack.  This thing is perfect for milder weather, where you don't need a tent, or full sleep system.  Just a basha and poncho & liner. Where I live, this is 3/4 of the time.  

The inspiration was for this was the VC or NVA ruck, which was also produced on Okinawa for the CIA/MACV-SOG.  It's just a darn good size that a lot of guys like.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Crossfire packs are where it's at for this kind of thing.  They work well with both full belt kits AND plate carrier setups too, which makes them super versatile.  

While I'm a huge huge fan of Hill People Gear packs for non-tactical stuff - and they ABSOLUTELY work for tactical stuff, I run a Tarahumara docked to my Crossfire pack as a mini-assault pack, which works great btw - but the Crossfire just fills some of those boxes better.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:
Crossfire packs are where it's at for this kind of thing.  They work well with both full belt kits AND plate carrier setups too, which makes them super versatile.  

While I'm a huge huge fan of Hill People Gear packs for non-tactical stuff - and they ABSOLUTELY work for tactical stuff, I run a Tarahumara docked to my Crossfire pack as a mini-assault pack, which works great btw - but the Crossfire just fills some of those boxes better.
View Quote

I absolutely will echo your thoughts WRT crossfire and HPG packs. I actually vastly prefer Crossfire's suspension over HPG when it comes to carrying real weight. I hiked 11 miles in a rough canyon a little while ago with my HPG Decker and it was punishing with 60lbs. The same loadout in my DG3 slick was heavy but manageable. I LOVE the Tarahumara and use it as an E&E bag under the lid of my CF MKVII. I like crossfire rucks so much I'm gonna sell my Decker setup and maybe find a used DG3. I found the HPG harness to be an absolute pain in the ass to get under with a decent load vs the Crossfire suspension.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:01:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#11]
Originally Posted By Vexed:

I absolutely will echo your thoughts WRT crossfire and HPG packs. I actually vastly prefer Crossfire's suspension over HPG when it comes to carrying real weight. I hiked 11 miles in a rough canyon a little while ago with my HPG Decker and it was punishing with 60lbs. The same loadout in my DG3 slick was heavy but manageable. I LOVE the Tarahumara and use it as an E&E bag under the lid of my CF MKVII. I like crossfire rucks so much I'm gonna sell my Decker setup and maybe find a used DG3. I found the HPG harness to be an absolute pain in the ass to get under with a decent load vs the Crossfire suspension.
View Quote

I'm modifying the beavertail / helmet cover thingy on the DG3 that I have to allow me to use it to cinch down on the Tarahumara that I keep on the back of the pack (basically just making one of the top straps slightly longer)  This allows me to quickly put it on and off of the pack.  I use a foam sleeping pad that goes under the lid.

The HPG Umlindi makes a great assault / 1 or 2 day pack too btw.  Goes well with belt kit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:

I'm modifying the beavertail / helmet cover thingy on the DG3 that I have to allow me to use it to cinch down on the Tarahumara that I keep on the back of the pack (basically just making one of the top straps slightly longer)  This allows me to quickly put it on and off of the pack.  I use a foam sleeping pad that goes under the lid.

The HPG Umlindi makes a great assault / 1 or 2 day pack too btw.  Goes well with belt kit.
View Quote

That sounds like a great pairing. I wish I got the DG16 instead of the MKVII so I could do the same.

I think the Hill people gear harness shines on smaller packs. It’s extremely comfortable for lighter loads. The Umlindi seems like a great pack to run with belt kit. I have decided any pack I own should be compatible with belt kit these days. The fact you can adjust Crossfire rucks to be long or short back is just another reason they will get all my future ruck money.

OP, very nice ruck!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Take note, now that is a proper unboxing post.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn that is nice.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:24:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#15]
Yeah the CF-2 fills a nice little niche guys have been asking about for awhile.  So we have re-vamped our whole line up for 2024.  The CF1 replaces the DG1.  It now has a zip off helmet cave and ladder racks for toggle pouches.  The CF2 is the new size.  The CF3 replaces the DG3.  Again new ladder racks and toggled-on pouches.  The new CF4 will replace both the DG16 and the Mk7.  It will also have the ladder racks for the new toggle on pouches, which have been totally re-designed.  The CF4's should be out 4th Qtr of 2024.  Lord willing and the Creek don't rise.  We will be having good deals on the Mk7's to deplete stock before the new design hits.  

We are also doing re-designs of the suspension system, to carry heavier loads with less sway.  Updates are being incrementally introduced on the new models, culminating in the CF4.  After that hits, it will be the standard, and all other models will follow suit.  

And of course the Diz rigs, which will have a new additional pouch suite out in 2d Qtr, hopefully.

Thanks to all and sundry for their support.  We've spent the last 5 years tweaking some really good Aussie designs, and adding our own belt kit.  Crossfire and Wilderness Equipment have been making military rucksacks for the Aussies since the 80's.  Same as I've done with belt kits.  It's been and good combination.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Got out yesterday under the standard 35 pounds for 4 miles. Felt really good, no rubbing, no hot spots. Overall very comfortable. I just threw a plate in for the weight. Ill start doing actual pack outs for usability throughout the summer.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:22:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Right on.  Doing much the same out here.  I will re-start an annual training program each spring, starting light and working up.  Also start out in running shoes to get feet used to pounding before switching up to light hikers.  I think this works out for the best, as an annual sustainment program, giving my bod a rest, and then working back up again.  Trying to maintain the same level of fitness year-round just leads to injury and illness.  BTDT.  

Also if you haven't tried it, get some Mennen Power Speed Stick.  On feet, pits, and crotch.  Same thing as Body Glide at 1/4 the price.  It's really just a heavy wax which prevents rubbing and chaffing.  The unscented is my favorite.  I want a chaffing guard, not something to smell purty.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:41:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Diz:
Right on.  Doing much the same out here.  I will re-start an annual training program each spring, starting light and working up.  Also start out in running shoes to get feet used to pounding before switching up to light hikers.  I think this works out for the best, as an annual sustainment program, giving my bod a rest, and then working back up again.  Trying to maintain the same level of fitness year-round just leads to injury and illness.  BTDT.  

Also if you haven't tried it, get some Mennen Power Speed Stick.  On feet, pits, and crotch.  Same thing as Body Glide at 1/4 the price.  It's really just a heavy wax which prevents rubbing and chaffing.  The unscented is my favorite.  I want a chaffing guard, not something to smell purty.  
View Quote

I've never used a body glide. It wasn't allowed at some schools so it was something I ever invested in and used. But with this ruck I don't think it would be necessary anyway.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#19]
OP. Have you ever used the Eberlestock Fac-Trac? I’m wondering how the CF2 compares. I have the FC and I like it 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Should have my modified Medium ALICE (Spec Ops Ultra Ruck) in Multicam back from my local shop soon.  If I'm not happy with how it turns out I'm going to buy a Crossfire Pack and just go that route until perhaps at some point Tactical Tailor finally comes out with their medium MALICE pack.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:
OP. Have you ever used the Eberlestock Fac-Trac? I’m wondering how the CF2 compares. I have the FC and I like it 90% of the time.
View Quote

I have not, but I'll see if I can get my hands on one to compare them side by side.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

Got some rappel time in. Usually I tape up tails but I used the provided velcro and no issue with anything coming loose. Wasn't super heavy, just a standard 35. Everything stayed where it should during the rappel and there were no issues.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Is it possible to switch out the shoulder straps or hip belt?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
Is it possible to switch out the shoulder straps or hip belt?
View Quote

They are, it's an external modular frame.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I don't think I would though. It's a really good system.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes it is completely replaceable, not to mention pretty adjustable.
Link Posted: Today 2:13:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#26]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188236/1000014210_jpg-3210649.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188236/1000014209_jpg-3210650.JPG

View Quote

Thanks. I'm just thinking of maybe straps that are less bulky if it has to be worn in conjunction with body armor.

If you remove the shoulder straps though are you losing that center net cushion area as well?

Link Posted: Today 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Thanks. I'm just thinking of maybe straps that are less bulky if it has to be worn in conjunction with body armor.

If you remove the shoulder straps though are you losing that center net cushion area as well?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188236/1000014210_jpg-3210649.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188236/1000014209_jpg-3210650.JPG

Yes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Today 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Thanks AbleArcher.

Looks like a great pack.

Expensive, but you get what you pay for, buy once cry once and all of that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top