Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 4/8/2024 1:06:07 PM EDT
Have a JM marked 1894 that I bought last year to suppress, but marlin threw a wrench in the plan when they announced the 1894 SBL would be available sometime this year. Not a huge fan of the stainless but it's probably going to cost $3-400 to have my current rifle threaded wich would bring me awefully close to the MSRP of the SBL. People who have or at least have shot both, JM guns, Freedom group guns, and Ruger made guns, what are your thoughts and opinions? I don't have the space for both so that's sadly not an option at the moment

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The Ruger made SBL is just as accurate as the Remington made Marlin SBL.  One of the upgrades to the Ruger was a tritium front sight (it’s not on the trapper model). Even if you are not fond of stainless it could be Cerakoted. I’d add the bearproof  ejector and I’d go stainless Ruger  SBL.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#2]
You already own this one, it's not a collectors item. Keep it, thread it, enjoy the heck out of it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can get what you paid for it, sell.
Maybe you will get lucky and make a few bucks over.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:14:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: golfish] [#4]
I've shot all 3, I'd keep the JM and buy the Ruger...

Just toss the JM up in the closet and forget about it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#5]
300-400 seems steep to thread a barrel.  I do my own for free in the shop though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#6]
It’s probably not just the threading of the barrel but the front sight will need to be moved back (new dovetail cut) as well as possibly shortening the mag tube and a new cut for the barrel band.

So $3-400 seems pretty accurate if it’s more than just 5e barrel thread alone.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I want to do this with mine.

-not my pic

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ropin4gold:
I want to do this with mine.

-not my pic

Attachment Attached File
View Quote

I wish mares legs were more common, a SBR levergun with a youth stock would be a handy hiking companion and it would be a much easier process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top