Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2024 5:10:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: trainfreaky]
I wish I did a search on Dead Air QC before taking the plunge.  There seem to be a few older threads on this (now archived).

I bought several at once including a Ghost 45 M.

Took it out for a spin not too long ago and out of the box was shooting low and left.

Like, hitting the ground from 10 yards.

Anyways, no baffle strikes, thankfully, with 9mm rounds.

I finally got around to getting an alignment rod (of sorts) to check ...

Definitely not a "tuning" issue.

It's noticeably misaligned through the first baffle stack so back to the factory it goes.  

Bummed.

https://www.mcmaster.com/ground-rods/tight-tolerance-multipurpose-oil-hardening-o1-tool-steel-rods/
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#1]
On what platform?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I smell user error.  Or bullcrap.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By trainfreaky:
I wish I did a search on Dead Air QC before taking the plunge.  There seem to be a few older threads on this (now archived).

I bought several at once including a Ghost 45 M.

Took it out for a spin not too long ago and out of the box was shooting low and left.

Like, hitting the ground from 10 yards.

Anyways, no baffle strikes, thankfully, with 9mm rounds.

I finally got around to getting an alignment rod (of sorts) to check ...

Definitely not a "tuning" issue.

It's noticeably misaligned through the first baffle stack so back to the factory it goes.  

Bummed.

https://www.mcmaster.com/ground-rods/tight-tolerance-multipurpose-oil-hardening-o1-tool-steel-rods/
View Quote

So no strikes, but causing the bullet to curve to the ground at 10 yards?   That's quite the feat to curve the bullet.
I admit, if I had a can that could do that I'd probably market it for shooting around corners.    

Your move, Krummlauf.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
On what platform?
View Quote

G19X

Silencerco threaded barrel

DA piston

I don't think it's the barrel because minus the can it's grouping well at 25 yds on B8-C repair center (10 rounds offhand slow fire).
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By zentradi:

So no strikes, but causing the bullet to curve to the ground at 10 yards?   That's quite the feat to curve the bullet.
I admit, if I had a can that could do that I'd probably market it for shooting around corners.    

Your move, Krummlauf.
View Quote

yeah i sent pics to DA and the service dude didn't think there were any baffle strikes.

however, i think there was some clipping on the wipe at the end of the wipe tube.

i'll post pics in the am.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#6]
just re-posting for later.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Dead-Air-QC-Issues/20-511652/

never had any problems with mis-alignment on several other rifle, pistol, and smg cans (direct thread).  

this would be the first.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:08:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JimmyB62] [#7]
Originally Posted By trainfreaky:

yeah i sent pics to DA and the service dude didn't think there were any baffle strikes.

however, i think there was some clipping on the wipe at the end of the wipe tube.

i'll post pics in the am.
View Quote

This doesn't really make sense. A wipe by its very nature touches the bullet so there will be contact. Any contact with the bullet after it leaves the barrel is going to affect point of impact and accuracy, significantly.  Anyone who cares about where their bullet goes does not use a wipe. This may be part or all of your problem but to me you sound a bit confused about how your suppressor works.  For sure post a photo of the alignment since it may help.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:12:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: trainfreaky] [#8]
Some pics.

My buddy and I put about 30 rounds through the new suppressor.

First thing I did before snapping pics was to clean everything including the threads.

No baffle strikes despite it shooting low and left vs. POA.

Then I used an alignment rod to check the barrel to piston (DA 401) fit.  Looked centered to me.

Then I assembled the piston module and attached it to the lower baffle module.

Pic of the lower baffles before insertion

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Then I ran an alignment rod through the barrel and lower assembly (piston module + first baffle stack).

The baffles were cinched down nice and secure and didn't move when the rod was inserted through the breech of the barrel.

You can see the problem here pretty easily.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JimmyB62:

This doesn't really make sense. A wipe by its very nature touches the bullet so there will be contact. Any contact with the bullet after it leaves the barrel is going to affect point of impact and accuracy, significantly.  Anyone who cares about where their bullet goes does not use a wipe. This may be part or all of your problem but to me you sound a bit confused about how your suppressor works.  For sure post a photo of the alignment since it may help.
View Quote

Take a look at the wipe from the wipe module.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Handy reference chart I found on Reddit for some more economical alternatives to barrel-suppressor alignment rods

$7-$13 for 3 foot sections of "Tight-Tolerance W1 Tool Steel Rod" at McMaster-Carr.

I'm sure there are better/straighter ones but for aligning a pistol barrel to a can - these are straight enough.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:39:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: trainfreaky] [#12]
Anyhow,

What a PITA.  

Is it the barrel, the piston, or the can? Do I have to shell out more $$$ to get another barrel and piston to figure that out before calling the manufacturer?

(think i figured that out already)

Higher price + 12 month wait = higher expectations, right?

With the crush of orders for cans from much shorter wait times, I kinda wonder what will happen to suppressor QC for everyone when manufacturers ramp up production to meet demand.

Alignment rods are worth the investment - use 'em I guess.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:06:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zentradi] [#13]
Attachment Attached File

Absolutely, contacting the manufacturer is better than listening to me.

So it looks like you may have a bad alignment right there, is that alignment consistent in relationship to the barrel when you have the suppressor assembly attached?  You can try marking the piston (and the barrel if needed) and check put the silencer on (like with a sharpie marker), but if remains constant it would seem the problem relationship would be between the shoulder of the barrel and the shoulder of the piston.  

If you mark both the barrel and the piston where they closest and then put some shims (that are flat) when the piston is rotated, if the deviation remains the same in relation to the barrel, then it may be the barrel shoulder is the culprit.   If the deviation or offset shifts with the piston, then it may be the piston shoulder that isn't true.  

Although camera pics can distort the view through angles it looks like the area I marked red is closer and green is farther.    

Maybe your dealer or someone near you has a different barrel you can try it on?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:13:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#14]
Originally Posted By zentradi:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14200/piston_shift_png-3174641.JPG

Absolutely, contacting the manufacturer is better than listening to me.

So it looks like you may have a bad alignment right there, is that alignment consistent in relationship to the barrel when you have the suppressor assembly attached?  You can try marking the piston (and the barrel if needed) and check put the silencer on (like with a sharpie marker), but if remains constant it would seem the problem relationship would be between the shoulder of the barrel and the shoulder of the piston.  

If you mark both the barrel and the piston where they closest and then put some shims (that are flat) when the piston is rotated, if the deviation remains the same in relation to the barrel, then it may be the barrel shoulder is the culprit.   If the deviation or offset shifts with the piston, then it may be the piston shoulder that isn't true.  

Although camera pics can distort the view through angles it looks like the area I marked red is closer and green is farther.    

Maybe your dealer or someone near you has a different barrel you can try it on?
View Quote

I’d be curious what happens if you rotate the piston indexing with the silencer 180*.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

Little better marking to show the offset on the piston

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys.  I broke out the nail polish and did not just a 180 but the full 360 "tune" of the piston vs. the tube.

No joy.  The alignment rod is still hugging the baffles in each position.

Will try to find a friend with another 9mm threaded bbl before sending it back.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got it back.

It took like 5 days to get there fedex ground but they did a one day turnaround.

I haven't taken it apart but it looks like I got a brand new set of baffles, both in the main and wipe module.

I don't think the wipe is there any more.

No pics yet but baffles are copper-colored, looking from the outside.

Got a nice 15% off coupon for the site as well.  

Back to the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top