Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

DA Sierra 5 Issues Thread (Page 1 of 42)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 42
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 6/28/2023 8:29:02 PM EDT
As the main thread about the Dead Air Sierra 5 seems to have gotten quite bloated and covers lots of different topics (has devolved into mud-slinging at times) I thought it may be helpful to have one that is focused only on input from owner's of this can who either have a cleared F4 and have used theirs, or have had conjugal visits with theirs while waiting for theirs to clear, and can give their experience with the known issues with this can, or lack thereof, whatever your case may be.  

If possible, it would be nice to keep this focused to just does your can appear good to go, or has it had issues?  If so, what are the issues, have you contacted DA, what have they done/are doing to fix it?

Also, if we could just focus on this instead of technical discussions (tone, decibel levels, back-pressure, etc.) it might be helpful to people like myself (who have one of these in jail and don't have the ability to shoot it but am trying to decide how worried I should be while I wait) or people who are considering getting one.  I hope I'm not the only one who found the main thread tedious to sift through when looking for very specific info on these issues with this can.

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#1]
No issues with mine (Keymo). Several hundred rounds through it on SBR hosts, with a few mag dumps. S/N below 1500, Sound Moderation Technologies LLC listed on the F4.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine has become maybe my favorite 556 can. At least of the ones I have at home. This includes the EA Arx, Huxwrx Flow 556k, and a pair of Surefire RC2s.

Still in jail are the Griffin DL5 and the CGS SCI-Six.

Full disclosure: I really like all these cans, so its hard to truly pick a favorite. I’ve barely run the Arx, so it may not be fair to include it in this comparison yet. But the Sierra has kind of become my go-to range can.

SN is like ~500, ordered the day they dropped on Capitol Armory, and SMT is on the paperwork. Xeno mount.

1500 rounds through it, give or take, and it just keeps on going. Today I put about 450 through it. The first two times I took it to the range were about 200-250 rounds of mag dumps, just to see if it was going to break.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 10:58:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mesooohoppy] [#3]
mine had a loose blast baffle after a mag through it.

if this threads still around when i get it back ill update with the timeline.

Edit: my serial is SR5-0169X
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mesooohoppy:
mine had a loose blast baffle after a mag through it.

if this threads still around when i get it back ill update with the timeline.
View Quote

Serial number ranges too please
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#5]
S/N SR5026XX

Voted no issues,🤞

Just shy of 300 rounds down the tube.

Subscribed and will update.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responses. Hopefully this thread will be useful. One of the issues I was concerned with was whether or not there were really a ton of these with issues, or if it was just the same handful being shared around between here, Reddit, Facebook, etc. So far, 9 of 15 have been good. Not a great number, but hopefully with more responses we'll have a better ratio of good to bad.

I just checked my F4. KGM manufacturer with a SR5-049xx serial.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Ive seen 3 guys disintegrate their blast baffles at the range in the last few months
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Sierra 5
S/N: 6XX

I actually shot mine while I was waiting for the stamp to clear and love the performance out of the can. When my stamp finally cleared I checked the blast baffle and I could move it with my finger. Then when shaking it you could hear the rattling. I removed the end cap and the Xeno mount to make sure that it wasn't anything that was possibly loose.

It was sent back to Dead Air the day after I got my stamp. That was 03/28.

Like I said overall I'm very happy with the performance out of my Sierra 5 and I look forward to putting it through the paces once I receive it back.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 12-5_bang_gang:
Sierra 5
S/N: 6XX

I actually shot mine while I was waiting for the stamp to clear and love the performance out of the can. When my stamp finally cleared I checked the blast baffle and I could move it with my finger. Then when shaking it you could hear the rattling. I removed the end cap and the Xeno mount to make sure that it wasn't anything that was possibly loose.

It was sent back to Dead Air the day after I got my stamp. That was 03/28.

Like I said overall I'm very happy with the performance out of my Sierra 5 and I look forward to putting it through the paces once I receive it back.
View Quote

Mine is still awaiting F4 approval and is at Capitol Armory, so no real chance for me to go shoot it while waiting on the ATF to approve. That said, I will be very unhappy if I wait this long for a Sierra 5 and have to extend that wait waiting on KGM to correct something they should have gotten right to begin with. KGM should prioritize repairs over new retail cans.

I have to assume this is like most issues and you generally only hear from folks who have issues, so I expect my can to be free of issues.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Put a 1000+ rounds through mine before I checked the blast baffle and sure enough it was moving.  When that happened during the course of fire, I have no idea, as I never occurred to me to check it until I read about an unlucky individual on Reddit that checked his like that.   It has been sent back and received by KGM/DA in Georgia on 5/24/2023, and I don't expect to get it back anytime soon.  

More of these are disintegrating or having moving baffles than what is posted on here.  This is the last Dead Air product I'd buy and I would tell everyone looking for a suppressor to stay far far away from anything Dead Air.  Their products are outsourced made to the cheapest levels possible and have been over-hyped on social media in order to gain followers/buyers of their over-priced junk.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#11]
So with our very small sample size we're at a roughly 40% failure rate, which is obviously terrible. I know some have posted their experiences, but we've got more votes than comments from those who have had issues. Would be interesting to hear what the two catastrophic failures were that were selected in the poll.  And obviously serials for those who haven't posted.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm just copying and pasting from the main thread:
Originally Posted By DDS87:
To nobody's surprise, we've got another Fiesta-5 over here.

Purchased last June, serial in the low 15XX range. No rattling with vigorous shaking from the factory.

Muzzle device installed with an Accuwasher, about 25 ft-lbs torque and Rocksett. Alignment checked with SF rod, looked perfect to the naked eye.

Checked end cap. It wasn't loose per se but I'm glad I gave it a little extra with my end cap tool.

The can was placed in a Vox Blox in a vise. Torque wrench set to 20 ft-lbs, 1 1/8" socket used on the Xeno adapter. The adapter moved well before 20 ft-lbs, I estimate at 10. Final torque of 30 ft-lbs.

I planned a relatively brief stress test for my first shots to find out if I would be the next lucky winner. 30 rounds at about 1 shot/sec, then immediately followed by another 30 at about 2 shots/sec. This was executed and I let it cool for a few minutes. Now it rattles with a casual shake.

I feel like an idiot buying a suppressor that hadn't been vetted.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By NC_Parrothead:
So with our very small sample size we're at a roughly 40% failure rate, which is obviously terrible. I know some have posted their experiences, but we've got more votes than comments from those who have had issues. Would be interesting to hear what the two catastrophic failures were that were selected in the poll.  And obviously serials for those who haven't posted.
View Quote

More like 1%. I’ve seen serial numbers in the 7000 in my local store.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#14]
When you say you've seen S/Ns in the 7000s, are these cans that have actually been fired and verified to be good to go?  Or just new ones in inventory waiting to be sold/transferred?
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#15]
When you say you've seen S/Ns in the 7000s, are these cans that have actually been fired and verified to be good to go?  Or just new ones in inventory waiting to be sold/transferred?
View Quote

New ones sitting on the shelf.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Expecting your poll to be accurate is a mistake.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess I am one of the ones that voted but didn't comment.
I had a blast baffle start to rattle after my first range trip with it.
Serial number SR5014XX
Less than 200rds will be surprised if it was 150rds. Was just a day of zeroing and plinking. Luckily I found it before the match I was going to shoot with it. Who knows what would have happened.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 11:30:50 PM EDT
[#18]
No issues so far after 120 rds m193.
SN 050XX
Keymo 13.9 Host
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#19]
S/n 5023xx
F4 says Sound Moderation

16” Aug
Griffin FH
Ecco plan A adaptor

3 rounds, removed, no rattle
Approx 35 more rounds rapid fire, removed, no apparent rattle
Completely dark indoor range, all lights off, no other shooters
Flash on round 1 of 35 and then maybe 29/35 (which was concerning)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By cardboardkiller:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:45:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By bully13:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bully13:

My only expectation was for people who have one of these to pick the option that best describes their experience. I never said it was scientific, and I'm well aware it's a very small sample size. I can't help if people aren't honest in their voting. Just trying to make a more straight forward thread than the very hectic one that's 25+ pages long.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#22]

My only expectation was for people who have one of these to pick the option that best describes their experience. I never said it was scientific, and I'm well aware it's a very small sample size. I can't help if people aren't honest in their voting. Just trying to make a more straight forward thread than the very hectic one that's 25+ pages long.
View Quote

The mega-thread, which this thread should be merged to, is very straight forward. How many threads do we need on this single issue?
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By WVUSIG:

The mega-thread, which this thread should be merged to, is very straight forward. How many threads do we need on this single issue?
View Quote

If no one sees any utility in this then a mod can feel free to shut it down.  The mega thread, while it has lots of info on the issue at hand, also covered a variety of topics from tone, sound suppression, and gas blowback, to crapping on DA, saying how they need to resolve the issue, speculating on behind the scenes legal issues and talking about other DA products members have had bad experiences with. That's all fine. The point of this thread was to be laser focused on only the known bad baffle issues with the Sierra 5 in an attempt to get a rough percentage of these cans that are known to be defective, by members here who have first-hand experience with them.  Perhaps I didn't clarify that very well in my OP.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:
Put a 1000+ rounds through mine before I checked the blast baffle and sure enough it was moving.  When that happened during the course of fire, I have no idea, as I never occurred to me to check it until I read about an unlucky individual on Reddit that checked his like that.   It has been sent back and received by KGM/DA in Georgia on 5/24/2023, and I don't expect to get it back anytime soon.  

More of these are disintegrating or having moving baffles than what is posted on here.  This is the last Dead Air product I'd buy and I would tell everyone looking for a suppressor to stay far far away from anything Dead Air.  Their products are outsourced made to the cheapest levels possible and have been over-hyped on social media in order to gain followers/buyers of their over-priced junk.
View Quote

Thanks man.  I love you too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Mageever:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:

Why hasn't Dead Air issued a Stop-Use order and recall? Why do customers have to shoot Dead Air Sierra 5 silencers to find out if they're defective?
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:59:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR15JoeL] [#26]
650 rounds.   No issues    11.5” & 12.5 barrels

#018XX. Sound Moderation Technologies LLC

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By AR15JoeL:
650 rounds.   No issues    11.5” & 12.5 barrels

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55796/339CB5DC-4FBD-444A-8A14-8E3CD6C14F8D-2761068.jpg
View Quote

Nice

Serial number?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 11:52:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR15JoeL] [#28]

Nice

Serial number?
View Quote

@cardboardkiller

Updated my post
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#29]
2500+ rounds no problems.

SN# 5005XX

Link Posted: 7/1/2023 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

As a repair technician for a major company, this is not how I’d personally respond to a customer who has had a failure with a product. You’re doing harm to your company’s reputation by responding in such a manner.

I’ve got an older Sandman S that I’ve beat on that’s been absolutely fantastic. I’m a happy customer in that regard. Your responses to this issue along with not issuing a recall for Sierra 5’s has me thinking that your company doesn’t care about quality, safety of customers, or rectifying issues. None of those are particularly endearing to potential customers.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ian187:

Why hasn't Dead Air issued a Stop-Use order and recall? Why do customers have to shoot Dead Air Sierra 5 silencers to find out if they're defective?
View Quote

Not Mageever, but I would assume this issue, like most others, is overblown and fueled by anxiety.

I have one waiting on the crown at the moment and when I receive it, I fully expect it will be fine.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#32]
kARen15.com anymore around here.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By DerekCB:

As a repair technician for a major company, this is not how I’d personally respond to a customer who has had a failure with a product. You’re doing harm to your company’s reputation by responding in such a manner.

I’ve got an older Sandman S that I’ve beat on that’s been absolutely fantastic. I’m a happy customer in that regard. Your responses to this issue along with not issuing a recall for Sierra 5’s has me thinking that your company doesn’t care about quality, safety of customers, or rectifying issues. None of those are particularly endearing to potential customers.
View Quote

Agreed (as a Dead Air customer).

By the way, how did the recent Dead Air Instagram live stream go? Did they address some burning concerns about their highly anticipated 5.56 can experiencing widespread failures? Did they ignore those questions, ban people, and turn comments off?
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#34]

By the way, how did the recent Dead Air Instagram live stream go? Did they address some burning concerns about their highly anticipated 5.56 can experiencing widespread failures? Did they ignore those questions, ban people, and turn comments off?
View Quote

No idea man. Didn’t even know they did an IG live.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Not cool.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#36]

You’re doing harm to your company’s reputation by responding in such a manner.
View Quote

Lol. No he's not.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By KM6:

Lol. No he's not.
View All Quotes

Lol. No he's not.

Well, he did for at least a couple here.  I suspect there are more.  

It's a lazy and tired response from someone who is likely weary of dealing with responses and comments to the issue.  Maybe tag out and let teammates cover...
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:

It's a lazy and tired response from someone who is likely weary of dealing with responses and comments to the issue.  Maybe tag out and let teammates cover...
View Quote

kARen15.com  

I miss the technical forums, but for the sake of argument: Show us on the doll where the engineer hurt your feelings.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By zentradi:

kARen15.com  

I miss the technical forums, but for the sake of argument: Show us on the doll where the engineer hurt your feelings.
View Quote

Go troll somewhere else.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 6:18:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drkg] [#40]

View Quote

Obviously a rhetorical question on your part, because that’s EXACTLY what they did.

Dead Air is better than this. They couldn’t have handled this whole fiasco worse if they’d hired the PR firm of WeCrashYourCompany.com.

Dead Air will get over this because they make some really good cans and seem to get what the consumer base wants, but whoever is making their decisions about this matter is turning an otherwise manageable dumpster fire into a full-blown train wreck.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Just food for thought-
Since kgm manufacturers these cans, kgm is also to blame. Dead Air may be under a legal gag right now since more than one company is involved.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

Lol. No he's not.

+1

There are a lot of customers with legitimate questions and concerns that are going unaddressed. I get it, DA is probably struggling with this fiasco. But to then break radio silence to address a customer with a sarcastic retort is just chickenshit. Pretty much demonstrates to me that you don’t have time to help your customers but do have time to be a dick to them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:
Just food for thought-
Since kgm manufacturers these cans, kgm is also to blame. Dead Air may be under a legal gag right now since more than one company is involved.
View Quote

Of course, but Dead Air won't even say "there is an ongoing legal issue" (if there is one) and "unfortunately they can't comment further at the moment but will take care of customers in a timely manner" (a couple/few months).
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

You're reading waaaaay to much into that dude. I'm on here as myself, not a paid employee or as a paid company sponsored account. I interact as much as I have time to and always work to be helpful and educational.  I was giving him crap.  Sorry it seemed so offensive to you, but we already have his can in hand and he's being take care of.  

I feel anything I say regarding this is being either misconstrued, used against me, or thrown at me on other platforms and used by trolls out of context.  At some point the trolls and bullies win and I'm not interacting much here anymore because of this.  Anonymity sure brings out the worst in people.

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#45]

You're reading waaaaay to much into that dude. I'm on here as myself, not a paid employee or as a paid company sponsored account. I interact as much as I have time to and always work to be helpful and educational.  I was giving him crap.  Sorry it seemed so offensive to you, but we already have his can in hand and he's being take care of.  

I feel anything I say regarding this is being either misconstrued, used against me, or thrown at me on other platforms and used by trolls out of context.  At some point the trolls and bullies win and I'm not interacting much here anymore because of this.  Anonymity sure brings out the worst in people.

View All Quotes

I don't envy what you or DA is going through, but your employment status with them means you're still representing them right now agnostic of account you're posting under.

It's a tough situation.  I look to the day it's all behind you all and DA is pushing other manufacturers to produce increasingly better products, and vice versa.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#46]

I don't envy what you or DA is going through, but your employment status with them means you're still representing them right now agnostic of account you're posting under.

It's a tough situation.  I look to the day it's all behind you all and DA is pushing other manufacturers to produce increasingly better products, and vice versa.
View All Quotes

Concur.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quick question.

Is DA’s stance on this to just shoot it and see if it blows?

Seems like a safety issue to some degree, things with KNOWN defects blowing up close to your face isn’t such a good thing.

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Just over 1100 rounds so far and no failures with baffles.  No full auto fire and I don’t mag dump into trash.

I’ve been told this isn’t a high back pressure can, but I would disagree. Today I swapped barrels to a 11.5” carbine length gas system with suppressed only sized gas port (I pin gauge confirmed it at 0.050) and a pinned non adjustable gas block. Lower has A5 buffer tube and A5H2 buffer with green Sprinco spring and it still locks back on an empty mag each time. Folks that’s a very small gas port if your keeping track.  If you plan to put this on a barrel with a large gas port you may want to rethink that.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#50]
My SOT sent me pics of the first baffle. Can anyone make a judgement on the welds? I'm heading to shoot it in the coming weeks.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 42
DA Sierra 5 Issues Thread (Page 1 of 42)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top