BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/23/2024 11:22:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I wasn't clear from the video if they are supposed to be quieter, lower back pressure, or somehow both, when compared to the legacy Nomads.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#2]
12.5" barrel length restriction for 5.56
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:38:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dillhole] [#3]
Everyone going DMLS now. I am curious if the baffle design is different from the regular Nomads.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#4]
That back end looks similar to EA's ID ring.  I wonder if its similar or just looks the part.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dillhole:
Everyone going DMLS now. I am curious if the baffle design is different from the regular Nomads.
View Quote

The video said something about using a patented two-stage baffle system that lowers back pressure, but it wasn't clear to me what the frame of reference was (i.e. does it lower back pressure compared to previous Nomads or compared to other companies' suppressors or what).

I briefly searched for patents with SMT as the assignee and another search for McGee as the inventor, and I only see one patent related to baffles, which appears to show the Nomad geometry.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my Nomad

Just not ready to jump into the 3d printed cans, no matter the manufacturer
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:06:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Evintos] [#8]
Originally Posted By peachy:

The video said something about using a patented two-stage baffle system that lowers back pressure, but it wasn't clear to me what the frame of reference was (i.e. does it lower back pressure compared to previous Nomads or compared to other companies' suppressors or what).

I briefly searched for patents with SMT as the assignee and another search for McGee as the inventor, and I only see one patent related to baffles, which appears to show the Nomad geometry.
View Quote

I'm not saying it's CGS, but the phrase two stage coaxial baffle system combined with the DMLS production makes it seem like a CGS product. That waffle pattern on the Nomax 33 is so similar to the older CAT product photos.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20170160034A1/en

Another coaxial patent.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20230341207A1/en?q=CPC%3d(F41A21%2f30)&oq=CPC%3d(F41A21%2f30)&sort=new
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DMG-LDS:
I love my Nomad

View Quote

My first was the OSS flow556k. I’m sold. I’ll be buying more
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DMG-LDS:
I love my Nomad

View Quote

I respect that, but finally decided to jump in with a pistol can, and bought the Mojave.   Huge local shop can't even keep them in stock, the Mojave has become so popular.  

Had a teacher tell me once "Don't be the first to embrace the new, or the last to abandon the old." She wasn't talking about firearms stuff, but it certainly has proven to be true.    

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

They have my attention.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Good lord!  May as well call them the ASSarus cuz they look like ASS!  I liked the look of the original Triscuit suppressor but they're going with a little too much... much.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Someone tell me if I'm off base. Why worry about lowering back pressure on cans which are marketed to the long range and hunting crowd? In my mind, they lose some suppression  effectiveness with "lower backpressure". I want ALL the back pressure and max suppression on my bolt guns. We have any idea on price points?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By monkeypunch:
Someone tell me if I'm off base. Why worry about lowering back pressure on cans which are marketed to the long range and hunting crowd? In my mind, they lose some suppression  effectiveness with "lower backpressure". I want ALL the back pressure and max suppression on my bolt guns. We have any idea on price points?
View Quote

Spot on. But marketing rules:  People don’t have meters, hunting sticks usually have longer barrels so the inverse square law helps in use, as does the sonic crack dominating total perception of loudness. So with catty chatter about backpressure and fixing that being ‘the latest technology’ it’s a winning feature. Has been since Sandman days.

Can’t wait to see pew data.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#16]
The Lazarus 6 has my attention.  Getting excited about a DA product was not on my SHOT Show bingo card.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Do we know what the Lazarus 6 actually is?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:43:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider] [#18]
Do we know what the Lazarus 6 actually is?
View Quote

Per Capitol IG hard use rifle can made out of Haynes 282 nickel alloy. Can front end is modular to vent or less gas to tune back pressure to host.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:35:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

Per Capitol IG hard use rifle can made out of Haynes 282 nickel alloy. Can front end is modular to vent or less gas to tune back pressure to host.
View Quote

Any indication what the fat-bodied depiction on the right is all about? I’m struggling to envision how that goes together.

Gotta say, modularity isn’t something I want in a hard-use can.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like a futuristic chess piece.  

6mm / 5.56 suppressor?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:45:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:47:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:56:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: call_me_ski] [#23]
The Lazarus 6 is 6mm and has three triskelion baffles with annular venting. The front can be configured to adjust venting or take a normal end cap to decrease length. It has an optional heat shield. Made of a Haynes 282 which could make it the toughest thing around.  Hub compatible.

How well it works, no one knows. Looks like a lightsaber styled by a coke head.  But I am here for it and intrigued.

Late Q1 or Q2. 1000ish for the can. 1400ish for the whole kit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#24]

They are rather unique looking...
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Evintos:
https://i.imgur.com/6b8bkNo.png

View Quote

I totally get form follows function.  Aesthetically, those make me think of chess pieces.    Thank you for posting the pic, much nicer than the previous line drawings.  

Then again, I love my AB-10 War Dong, so I don't really worry about how it looks if it performs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:54:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ngc1300] [#26]

View Quote
It looks like AI slop when it tries to make a gun part, but it comes out looking weird.

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 3:31:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#27]
View Quote

Agreed.

This can looks like one designed by the marketing department rather than the engineer. Dilbert was an insightful cartoon. I agree that it has a CGS vibe to it.

Maybe it’ll be cool and I’m misreading it. Or maybe I’ll buy a KAC next time I want 3 top-hat baffles with a triscut mill in them.

I’m sure some vague claims about being developed for some obscure contract will float around soon.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

I found it strange too. I love my nomad-ti
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:

I found it strange too. I love my nomad-ti
View Quote

My Nomad L is fantastic.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Weird they’d release a Nomad 33. I bought a primal to fill the 338 role when they released. I wonder what’s going on there. I said in a different thread that the two I have in jail now might be my last Deadair suppressors after a wolf man but IDK yet. This looks interesting
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:
Weird they’d release a Nomad 33. I bought a primal to fill the 338 role when they released. I wonder what’s going on there. I said in a different thread that the two I have in jail now might be my last Deadair suppressors after a wolf man but IDK yet. This looks interesting
View Quote

Titanium for the Nomad 33 (12.9oz) vs 17-4 PH for Primal (16.4oz).

Although, my guess is given the sheer amount of weld failures that have plagued them recently, they eventually migrate to all DMLS for their entire product line. Potentially might be easier to produce a stronger and lighter product, more flexibility in baffle design, less machining, don't have to worry about maintaining baffle alignment and warping in a welding process, reduction in the amount of machines (compared to wire EDM, CNC lathes, etc), etc.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 4:50:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Did they name it the Lazarus 6 because on the sixth day it saved their company from Sierra 5 mess?
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Any info on the repairablility of these printed suppressors?
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 12:03:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Evintos] [#35]
After watching the vid, this can has my attention and the Kelvin heat shield system especially.

(bah, didn't realize this wasn't a post edit)
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Interesting observation,

that was the only video from shot at the DA booth, its day 3 and there doesn't seem to be any videos from big channels.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 12:24:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: peachy] [#37]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNLoDupacCc
View Quote

Mike discusses some neat and innovative features in there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#38]
It is super strange to not be forth coming with length and weight numbers for the Lazarus 6.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Did DA just switch to a new sub contractor?
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ian187:
Did DA just switch to a new sub contractor?
View Quote

What makes you say that?

I thought supposedly they were gearing up to start making their own stuff.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By call_me_ski:
It is super strange to not be forth coming with length and weight numbers for the Lazarus 6.
View Quote

Very strange. Weight is definitely the figure I want to hear.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By witchking777:
Did they name it the Lazarus 6 because on the sixth day it saved their company from Sierra 5 mess?
View Quote

3D printing eliminates the machining, welding, & associated alignment issues in production, so perhaps. The back pressure adjustability is original.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 2:07:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Luny421] [#43]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

Very strange. Weight is definitely the figure I want to hear.
View Quote

and price... "super alloy" doesn't sound cheap
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

That is super cool. Love the idea of the gas adjustment system.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By witchking777:
View Quote

It's a great move from the marketing perspective.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

I like the looks of the one on the left, pass on the other two.

The gas adjustment at the suppressor itself is definitely an innovation that was not on my bingo card, I really like it. But sadly recent DA shenanigans places them solidly on the "wait and see" list.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 3:29:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#47]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Cool ideas. I don’t see myself buying one, but, cool ideas.

That is super cool. Love the idea of the gas adjustment system.
I can’t tell from the video if it does anything that changing endcaps can’t already do, though it might be more convenient. Its a cool approach to that, though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Luny421:

and price... "super alloy" doesn't sound cheap
View Quote

On the capitol armory video they mention 1400ish for the whole kit, can, hub mount, ABD and kelvin cage.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:

I can’t tell from the video if it does anything that changing endcaps can’t already do, though it might be more convenient. Its a cool approach to that, though.
View Quote

Interesting point. In theory you could sell solid end caps and end caps with different sizes of porting to control how much gas flows through the anulus.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 3:43:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Evintos] [#50]
Originally Posted By UMP45_Enthusiast:

I like the looks of the one on the left, pass on the other two.

The gas adjustment at the suppressor itself is definitely an innovation that was not on my bingo card, I really like it. But sadly recent DA shenanigans places them solidly on the "wait and see" list.
View Quote

If I understand the Lazarus6 concept correctly, all 3 are the same cans but with different accessories attached.

Left is L6 + Keymo + R-series styles flash hider end cap.
Middle is L6 + Xeno + ABD (adjustable back pressure device, essentially a more feature rich version of the E-Brake).
Right is the L6 + Keymo + ABD + Kelvin (heat shield).

So in essence if you didn't want the extra features, you'd just buy the bare bones L6 with either a Keymo or Xeno and then add the accessories afterwards.

Which brings the next question, is the ABD the same thread pattern as some of the other end cap accessories they have. If so, theoretically you can add the ABD to other cans in the Dead Air lineup.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top