BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ian187:
Did DA just switch to a new sub contractor?
View Quote

I think it’s likely that for the Mojave and now these new additions to the Nomad series along with the Lazarus 6 that they at least have a second subcontractor. I don’t think that KGM is in the DMLS game, so they’d have to go to someone else by necessity.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Evintos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNLoDupacCc
View Quote

Nice video.   Just when I hoped I was done buying cans!
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 5:34:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#3]
Originally Posted By peachy:

Interesting point. In theory you could sell solid end caps and end caps with different sizes of porting to control how much gas flows through the anulus.
View Quote
indeed. From watching the video on my (small) phone, there are two likely possibilities for how it works:

A:\ there’s a narrow outer bypass annulus that feeds into the adjustment thingy, and the gas has the opportunity to flow peripherally-centrally through the adjustable ports, and then forward and out through the peripheral ports and central aperture. Like the Helios, that’d make it a LBP can that can be converted rapidly to a normal flow-rate can.

B:\ the baffle stack has low bypass/normal resistance, and the gas is moving from the central bore into the adjustment device, peripherally through its ports, and then out through the central aperture and peripheral vents. Like any traditional can with swappable endcaps, that’d be a normal-gas silencer that can reduce the endcap’s resistance, like DA’s other cans with the E-brake, or a Rex can with their brake endcap. The degree to which this is effective is dependent on the resistance of the baffles. So, a .458 Rex can will show a greater delta than a .224 Rex can by switching to a less resistant endcap.

Which brings the next question, is the ABD the same thread pattern as some of the other end cap accessories they have. If so, theoretically you can add the ABD to other cans in the Dead Air lineup.
View Quote
if it works the way I described option B above, then I think that’s likely. They seem to like parts compatibility in their previous cans. A third option is that it works like option A on the L6, but option B on a Sandman/Nomad/whatever.

Its an intriguing approach, that I’d like to look closer at.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 5:49:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: call_me_ski] [#4]
Per their instagram reels the ABD will only function as designed on the Lazarus 6.

Edit:  I guess the answer was more vague than I remember.  “Can the ABD help older cans?” “The boreas ABD is exclusive to the Lazarus 6 for now.”

Capitol armory video:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2dbGm0OK-i/?igsh=cnNnaTlqMzNwbm9m
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By call_me_ski:
Per their instagram reels the ABD will only function as designed on the Lazarus 6.

Edit:  I guess the answer was more vague than I remember.  “Can the ABD help older cans?” “The boreas ABD is exclusive to the Lazarus 6 for now.”

Capitol armory video:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2dbGm0OK-i/?igsh=cnNnaTlqMzNwbm9m
View Quote

That makes me suspect that it works via option A in my above post.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 6:46:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Evintos] [#6]

It looks more like option B to me.

3 piece design (according to the vid). Inner core that threads in like all the R series end cap (same threads according to vid), adjustment ring, and outer cap/housing.

To me it's just a removable adjustable flow/peripheral port end cap. So sorta like the KGM adjustable port end cap but doesn't use tiny set screws and can't tune each individual peripheral port.

It should function just fine on Dead Air's other cans.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 7:17:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#7]
https://i.imgur.com/M8xWnNO.png
https://i.imgur.com/r26jLPl.png

It looks more like option B to me.

3 piece design (according to the vid). Inner core that threads in like all the R series end cap (same threads according to vid), adjustment ring, and outer cap/housing.

To me it's just a removable adjustable flow/peripheral port end cap. So sorta like the KGM adjustable port end cap but doesn't use tiny set screws and can't tune each individual peripheral port.

It should function just fine on Dead Air's other cans.
View Quote

Looking at those pics, I think you’re right. If the threads are compatible, its min-to-max effectiveness would probably be similar to the regular endcap on/off, with less sound consequence than just taking the factory one off.

People do often report a reduction of blowback with the E-Brake without hurting sound performance, and I suspect that this effect would be similar, with length/weight being the main downsides.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Automatic disassembly is a feature, not a bug!
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:49:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#9]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:

Looking at those pics, I think you’re right. If the threads are compatible, its min-to-max effectiveness would probably be similar to the regular endcap on/off, with less sound consequence than just taking the factory one off.

People do often report a reduction of blowback with the E-Brake without hurting sound performance, and I suspect that this effect would be similar, with length/weight being the main downsides.
View Quote

The claim is 30% pressure reduction from baseline, but that's for this can, which is more of a "flow" design. How effective the ABD is on a "traditional" baffle can is unknown.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#10]
i was able to get some of the new nomads expedited to me. i was told theyll be here in about 30-40 days. i dont think i ordered any lazarus cans though.

i will for sure take a pic of the blast baffle and post it. ill compare it to my nomad L. i really like my nomad L, i just wish i bought it in Ti. so maybe ill pick one up.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:30:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#11]
Originally Posted By Mesooohoppy:
i was able to get some of the new nomads expedited to me. i was told theyll be here in about 30-40 days. i dont think i ordered any lazarus cans though.

i will for sure take a pic of the blast baffle and post it. ill compare it to my nomad L. i really like my nomad L, i just wish i bought it in Ti. so maybe ill pick one up.
View Quote
when you do, (edit: blast chamber) dimensions will be appreciated. I may have those earlier, and will post if I do.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#12]
They still haven’t posted length and weight numbers for the Lazarus.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:54:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#13]
when you do, (edit: blast chamber) dimensions will be appreciated. I may have those earlier, and will post if I do.
View Quote
I’ve gone back and forth with DA CS via email for a few days, and they're coming up with every imaginable excuse to avoid answering me this, the last reply citing concerns of premature wear with third party mounts. I’m going to take a few steps back, and maybe reconsider a couple years after release.

Edit: they’re now saying that the reason they insist on not answering the question until I tell them which not Keymo/Xeno mount I use because: “if they are not coated or finished in the proper manner it will lead to increased erosion of the blast baffles.” That was in reply to me saying it was going on regular hunting bolt guns maxing out at 30-06 after they told me they were concerned about erosion.

At this point, not only have they talked me out of the new Nomad permanently, but I’m now on the fence about the Mojave I was going to buy soon. There’s a serious problem with this company.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:08:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Interesting point. In theory you could sell solid end caps and end caps with different sizes of porting to control how much gas flows through the anulus.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I can’t tell from the video if it does anything that changing endcaps can’t already do, though it might be more convenient. Its a cool approach to that, though.

The problem you run into is how big you have to make the bore, & how gas flow through a larger bore might disrupt bullet trajectory vs surface area vs smaller annular vents that provide equivalent total area without those negatives. The thing I notice with the ABD is that it doesn't appear to have any tool interface points to for tightening it onto the main body, raising the question of whether or not heat expansion might risk it to working loose with only hand tightening.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top