Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2024 11:24:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Macchina]
I currently go to the range in any shirt and whatever nylon “hiking” pants I have clean. I participate in a class once a month and plan on doing it more and some of the guys look really cool in their kit

I’m looking for a pair of tactical cargo pants and a lightweight shirt to wear under my plates. I don’t need Crye, but something decent.  Maybe $100 for the pants and shirt? Hoping for more tactical than Wranglers and knee pads would be good as we do a lot of barricade drills in the class.

I’m normal sized, so somewhat fitted pants are fine but a crotch gusset is a must for me now-a-days.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:41:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Abbysdaddy04] [#1]
I have some LAPG Atlas pants and a few of their field shirts. I like them. Pants have pockets for knee pads but they are a bit long in the inseam. I wear 36” inseam jeans and I bet I could get by with 34”. I plan on checking out more of their designs.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Whatever you normally wear. I wouldn't spend money on a range costume but that's me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Macchina:
I currently go to the range in any shirt and whatever nylon “hiking” pants I have clean. I participate in a class once a month and plan on doing it more and some of the guys look really cool in their kit

I’m looking for a pair of tactical cargo pants and a lightweight shirt to wear under my plates. I don’t need Crye, but something decent.  Maybe $100 for the pants and shirt? Hoping for more tactical than Wranglers and knee pads would be good as we do a lot of barricade drills in the class.

I’m normal sized, so somewhat fitted pants are fine but a crotch gusset is a must for me now-a-days.
View Quote

5.11 Taclite Pro pants (I have a couple pair and they hold up pretty good).
They'll accept the internal knee pads, too.
As far as a shirt, something light and airy (for spring/summer). Check out Smartwool.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By King_Mud:
Whatever you normally wear. I wouldn't spend money on a range costume but that's me.
View Quote

Yep. I wear 5.11 pants that are stretchy but cut like jeans and a t shirt with saloman boots. All work well
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Whatever you do, just make sure the outfit matches the shoes and purse…🤪
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#6]
https://www.511tactical.com/stryke-pant.html
I’m not a tactical guy but these pants are my favorite. Great fit, flexible, rugged. For shirts, anything merino wool.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer a button up shit with the top 2 unbuttoned and the shirt tucked in. Hot brass is awesome.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Basic BDU pants and an ACS under the armor.  Don't even have to match, ain't a fashion show.

Don't overthink it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#10]
5.11 or Helikon Tex jeans have some discrete tacticool features but still looks like everyday jeans.

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want BDU stuff, for that price range you might look at surplus like krus supply. If you spend a little more, you could go hunting pants like Sitka or Kuiu.

Gonna try clearance Triple Aught Design pants, and some stuff from Tactical Distributors. They have a variety of options at lots of price points
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By runguns:
duluth pants
View Quote

I'll second Duluth pants, too. However, I've never worn the ones in the link. I wear their DuluthFlex Fire Hose Relax Fit Cargo Work Pants every day (I have 7 pair). They're pretty comfortable and hold everything I need them to hold. I also own a couple of the shorts variety for when it's too damn hot and humid to wear pants (usually when I'm juts working around the house).
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:53:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#13]
Best advice I can give, dress for the weather and always be prepared for rain or a temp shift of as much as 30 degrees either up or down from what has been forecasted.  Remember, temps shift throughout the course of a day.  You can start out with a cold morning that ends up being a baking hot afternoon followed by a chilly evening. So, the ability to up or down layer is important especially in the transitional times between seasons.

Be preapred for a lot of sun so you don't end up buned to a crisp.  Have some bug repellant.  

Shoes should be broken in and offer good ankle support for working on uneven terrain.   Temp appropriate gloves are a must for working with rifles that will be firing a decently high round count.   If the weather is below 75 degree I tend to prefer water proof boots so that my feet don't get soaked form early morning dew. If it's going to be over 80 degrees I typically like boots that are NOT water proof and have drain holes.  I always bring extra socks and inserts for the shoes I'm wearing. Wool sock are your friend.  Put some moleskin on so the back of your heels don't get ripped up.

Everything should be breathable. You want sweat and heat to be able to move away from your body.  You will want to powder your feet and undercarriage (avoid swamp butt).  

Here is a great chart for how to dress for inclimate weather conditions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/QualityTacticalGear/comments/q57que/pcu_layering_guide_for_various_weather_conditions/

Clothing doesn't have to be "tactical", but "tactical" clothing done by reputable manufacturers does tend to be made to be more durable than street clothes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#15]
My favorite pants are the Under Armor tac pants but they appear to be discontinued. Costco for breathable long sleeve shirts and I have a couple Victos button ups for sun. I do tactical dress up because regular clothes suck in heat, cold and rain and hiking stuff gets shredded fast.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Wrangler cargo pants and a t-shirt.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:30:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By PistoleroJesse:
Embrace American supply chains.
View Quote

@PistoleroJesse those look pretty nice!  You have any first hand experience?

I was going to say for the OP to look at Triple Aught Design or Prometheus Design Werx for pants.

Check poshmark to get it cheaper
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bdover:
@PistoleroJesse those look pretty nice!  You have any first hand experience?
View Quote

None yet with these. Have several pair of their regular and light weight jeans. Will be getting some for this summer though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By tatsngats:
https://www.511tactical.com/stryke-pant.html
I’m not a tactical guy but these pants are my favorite. Great fit, flexible, rugged. For shirts, anything merino wool.
View Quote

Absolutely this.  Best pants I’ve ever owned. Bomb proof.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Moisture wicking shirts are a must for summer classes.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By runguns:
duluth pants
View Quote

Agree, I have a 2018 version of these - the fabric is amazing. No binding, ever, anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By PistoleroJesse:
Embrace American supply chains.
View Quote

Thanks for the link. I'll keep it around for when I need some new trousers. I don't mind paying more for Made In The USA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top