User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:14:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Skyler2000:
Saw this video review of the MDRX, and he says his MDRX rear sling mounting point broke off. Anyone know if this has been fixed in the Wlvrn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzC3X1gAyvs
View Quote

The rear sling mount is updated in the Wlvrn.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:04:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Odinforever2000:

The rear sling mount it updated in the Wlvrn
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Saw this video review of the MDRX, and he says his MDRX rear sling mounting point broke off. Anyone know if this has been fixed in the Wlvrn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzC3X1gAyvs

The rear sling mount it updated in the Wlvrn

Well they really thought of everything then.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:26:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Well they really thought of everything then.
View Quote

Well...except the price is kinda high.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:47:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#4]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:08:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#5]
Originally Posted By Box4:
Desert Tech said the channel is aluminum with steel insert in high friction area.

Can someone confirm?
View Quote

In the Comments from MACs Wlvrn vid

They didn't specify if this was all calibers..or a specific one..

And of course..Everyones burning question..
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Desert Tech said the channel is aluminum with steel insert in high friction area.

And of course..Everyones burning question..
https://i.imgur.com/RdYv246.jpeg
View Quote

I give them props for that one.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

I give them props for that one.
View Quote

Right?
If you know you got something good..It shouldnt matter who reviews it. Customer or Pro Tuber
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#8]
308 Wlvrn came in today, not much time with it,  stripped it down and that. Odd thing was I noticed black flakes of something around the trunnion area, it like was coming off the barrel, no ideal wtf it is, scrapes off with my finger nail. Paint maybe? Scaling?

Overall fit and finish seems good, trigger and mag release has some grit to it, but feels like it's smoothing out. Didn't take many pic as I'm limited on time tonight.

OSS muzzle brake wont fit thru the handguard, BUT you can pull the barrel all the way out with the handguard in place. So no issue doing barrel swaps with larger muzzle devices.

Will be taking it to the range weekend.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:31:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#9]
Originally Posted By tavorsterling:
308 Wlvrn came in today, not much time with it,  stripped it down and that. Odd thing was I noticed black flakes of something around the trunnion area, it like was coming off the barrel, no ideal wtf it is, scrapes off with my finger nail. Paint maybe? Scaling?

Overall fit and finish seems good, trigger and mag release has some grit to it, but feels like it's smoothing out. Didn't take many pic as I'm limited on time tonight.

OSS muzzle brake wont fit thru the handguard, BUT you can pull the barrel all the way out with the handguard in place. So no issue doing barrel swaps with larger muzzle devices.

https://i.imgur.com/r6V8jpe.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/e99GOdI.jpeg
View Quote

Nice! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Pulling the barrel through with the handgaurd in place is a change from the previous generation.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:56:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#10]

https://i.imgur.com/r6V8jpe.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/e99GOdI.jpeg
View Quote

I don't know, but you're right - that's weird.  I would be careful that it could be left over maloniting salts.  Maybe not - probably not, but I don't know what the Hell that is.  Please test to see if they dissolve in water.  If they do - please come back before you go shooting this weekend...

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#11]

I don't know, but you're right - that's weird.  I would be careful that it could be left over maloniting salts.  Maybe not - probably not, but I don't know what the Hell that is.  Please test to see if they dissolve in water.  If they do - please come back before you go shooting this weekend...
View Quote

Hmm maybe that. I'll put some in water and see if they dissolve tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#12]

View All Quotes

Yea definitely report back on that.  IF (and this is only IF) that's maloniting salts - failure to remove there, could also mean failure to correctly and fully remove from your bore.  Which would mean your 7.62mm diameter bore, isn't 7.62mm diameter.  That's all a big if that could be wildly in error, but sometimes mysteries are worth a moment to try and figure out.

Also!  As a request - when you do go shoot and do accuracy testing; would you be willing to do a couple tests for me?  In particular, I want to see the behavior of two ammunition's specs:
1) A mild and light load of the lightest weight bullet you can find - fired in an unsuppressed gun.
2) a hot load of a heavy bullet, fired in an unsuppressed gun.

From that I want to see two things
A) what is the MOA of each (of course)
B) What did the POI of each do when you changed ammo.  Did it shift wildly (and in a semi-horizontal fashion)?  

My 6.5CM MDRx POI shifted considerably between those two specs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:16:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Yea definitely report back on that.  IF (and this is only IF) that's maloniting salts - failure to remove there, could also mean failure to correctly and fully remove from your bore.  Which would mean your 7.62mm diameter bore, isn't 7.62mm diameter.  That's all a big if that could be wildly in error, but sometimes mysteries are worth a moment to try and figure out.

Also!  As a request - when you do go shoot and do accuracy testing; would you be willing to do a couple tests for me?  In particular, I want to see the behavior of two ammunition's specs:
1) A mild and light load of the lightest weight bullet you can find - fired in an unsuppressed gun.
2) a hot load of a heavy bullet, fired in an unsuppressed gun.

From that I want to see two things
A) what is the MOA of each (of course)
B) What did the POI of each do when you changed ammo.  Did it shift wildly (and in a semi-horizontal fashion)?  

My 6.5CM MDRx POI shifted considerably between those two specs.
View Quote

Ya Im gonna go to the local store and pick up a few various boxes of match ammo,  so I try to find some  lighter stuff as well as heavier 175s. I also want to test the return to zero of the barrel mounting. I have a lot I want to test, so I'll do as much as I can this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

I put the flakes in water this morning and let them sit for about 20 minutes, didn't seem like they dissolved any. I'll check on them again when I go home. I'll be running a brush down the barrel to verify its clear, but it was clearly test fired, so its probably fine.

Though I will be honest, seeing this does raise some concerns about desert techs QC. Might be much ado about nothing, but still, not something I like to see on a new "premium" gun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#15]
@tavorsterling, or anyone else looking to feed a .308. if your looking for ammo I suggest checking out PSA. They make .308 ammo under their AAC brand, I have only shot a few boxes but have had good luck. Pretty much the best prices for both FMJ and OTM/SMK type ammo on the market right now. Particularly if your trying to test different weights and bullet types, this is likely the only single manufacturer where you can do that at a reasonable price.

Looks like they have almost every .308 load in stock right now, which is unusual.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By shenendoah_rifleman:
@tavorsterling, or anyone else looking to feed a .308. if your looking for ammo I suggest checking out PSA. They make .308 ammo under their AAC brand, I have only shot a few boxes but have had good luck. Pretty much the best prices for both FMJ and OTM/SMK type ammo on the market right now. Particularly if your trying to test different weights and bullet types, this is likely the only single manufacturer where you can do that at a reasonable price.

Looks like they have almost every .308 load in stock right now, which is unusual.
View Quote

Too bad the 556 offerings are all sold out..Ive had a few request to test those..
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By shenendoah_rifleman:

View Quote

I have some of their AAC 150 fmj ammo, so far its been decent in my Tavor 7, so it will be included in the testing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Too bad the 556 offerings are all sold out..Ive had a few request to test those..
View Quote

I have a box or two of their 77 otm left. X95 didn't like it far as accuracy, but then again, it seems the X95 refuses to do anything under 2moa no matter what ammo you use, match or cheap bulk. I do have a 5.56 wlvrn kit on order, so try to save it for that. Unless i run it thru my Brn-4 sbr before then.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:40:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#19]

I have a box or two of their 77 otm left. X95 didn't like it far as accuracy, but then again, it seems the X95 refuses to do anything under 2moa no matter what ammo you use, match or cheap bulk. I do have a 5.56 wlvrn kit on order, so try to save it for that. Unless i run it thru my Brn-4 sbr before then.
View Quote

You could try some of that Fiocchi Field 50gr Vmax. Thats averaging 1.5moa in my Tavor Sar.

I also have a Wlvrn conversion kit on order in 308(sounds like it will be here in may)..So..I guess we can compare notes lol

I'll also be going back out to the range for a 3rd and final time. Maybe I can time my video relase to yours so I can direct folks to your 308 review
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:34:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Odinforever2000] [#20]
The New Desert Tech WLVRN (vs The MDRx)

308 also present. Seems to be working. No mag drops.
77gr Fed Premium in the Wlvrn vs the MDRx. 1 (5) round group each.
No accuracy test on the 308..Probably because they don't have a 308 MDRX to compare it to.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#21]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI-wmqbCdp8
No accuracy test on the 308..Probably because they don't have a 308 MDRX to compare it to.
View Quote

Ya watching the ejection on their 308 leads me to believe mine has something wrong with it, ejector, extractor, gas system, who knows. Mine goes from barely working, then one click up on the gas, it starts stove piping.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#22]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI-wmqbCdp8
View Quote

Thanks.

They overdismiss the flyers and say "it was the shooter"   pointing to 3 of the 5 being tight, and 2 being wild.  In both groups fired (one MDRx, one WLVarn).  
While their gun-mount system was terrible (its actually difficult to shoot good groups from a tripod), bo - that probably was not the shooter. These guns shoot flyers - don't dismiss them - in five shots, 40% going wild isn't ok.  That's the gun.

Looks like WLVRN flyers are slightly better, but it's doing it too
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:05:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrozenIceman] [#23]

Thanks.

They overdismiss the flyers and say "it was the shooter"   pointing to 3 of the 5 being tight, and 2 being wild.  In both groups fired (one MDRx, one WLVarn).  
While their gun-mount system was terrible (its actually difficult to shoot good groups from a tripod), bo - that probably was not the shooter. These guns shoot flyers - don't dismiss them - in five shots, 40% going wild isn't ok.  That's the gun.

View Quote

The MDRx in 5.56 doesn't seem to do the same flier thing as the 308 flavor.  At least in the community test data that we have.

But if they are using those groups to represent the gun, and their discussion as to what is valid vs not... I am thinking they probably aren't precision shooters in general.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By FrozenIceman:

The MDRx in 5.56 doesn't seem to do the same flier thing as the 308 flavor.  At least in the community test data that we have.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FrozenIceman:

Thanks.

Yep.  In 5.56 the system is still enough to hold.  In .308 class - it's not.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top