Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2024 8:00:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oper28]
I’ve been having an issue lately with the primer bar not coming back all the way to the rear to pick up a new primer. The bar won’t go on its own the last 1/8th of an inch. I have to pull the bar back or tap it to the right and it will pick up a new primer. It seems like there may be too much play. I’ve cleaned and at times lightly lube it to persuade it to operate cleanly. No avail. Time for new primer bars, pick up tube? Knowledge anyone??
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Need to adjust the screw that allows it to travel back further, has a jam nut in it and allows you tube how far back it comes into the feed system
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you didn't bend the bar that pushes it back.  

I often reshape mine to make sure it pushes the bar back far enough.

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I would check the linkage circled in red hasn't climbed on you. Mine is touching the frame.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#4]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L9Q2TX4?tag=arfcom00-20

Best $30 you will spend and will fix the issue. I was having the same problem.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Have that same piece on my 550 and it solves the problem.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By molar:

View Quote

This.

It should be the part that every 550 comes with.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#7]
In addition to the above, check that you don't have aloose primer sitting on top of the primer bar or stuck behind the primer feed tube.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:07:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By molar:

View Quote

I forgot I even put that thing in mine.  Worked like a charm.

Before I found that part, I had the same occasional issue.
Buffing off all moving parts helped some.  Waxing the same helped some.  Oil just made it all worse.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Since I can’t sleep anyway, have you pulled the primer feed tube out and checked the plastic feed tip?   You should keep spares of those around, the tip part never lasts forever.
If the primer mag is full, pull the entire assembly off and dump the primers into a rag, or you’ll be crawling around on the floor looking for them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the replies folks. I should have provided more info when I said I cleaned. I went through all the solutions everyone provided before I posted. I even put a slight small bend in the linkage to ensure the pickup bar came out. I went through everything. I’m the only one in my circle who has a 550. Everyone else has a square deal, 650 or Hornady. The only thing I hadn’t done was polish the pickup bar with Fitz polish. I have had zero issues from my 550, it has been the bomb since I bought it in 2008. I just added the bearing plate in the Amazon cart just now. Everyone who said they had the same issue and this fixed it. So there it is. Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:36:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stgdz] [#12]
Guarantee you bulged out the inserts.  It's cheap pot metal and if you overtighten the screws it will bulge the metal and greater a drag.  I chased this one forever until I put some dykem on the inside of the support and ran the slide a.few times.

High spots were found where the screws go in.  I filed those down until all the dykem was gone.  I have never had it so smooth.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Will do Dryflash. I will double check for the high spots too, I never thought of that. I try not to over tighten anything on my press, but it’s possible.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Well there were no high spots. Cleaned everything again, the JW bearing plate arrived Saturday, I installed it this evening. Followed the instructions JW supplied, and it works like brand new. Cool upgrade for $30. Thanks guys and JW Systems.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:50:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I've fought this same issue with my 550 for years but keeping the primer slide and bearing plate clean and sprayed with graphite lubricant helped alot.  I put the JW plate in my cart...thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been using that plate for the last three years--It works great
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top