Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2023 9:55:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Makarov]
Simple question to those of you who have one.

Thanks.

UPDATE: it works. See my new post dated 05/10/24
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  I think a 22LR range toy is the perfect home for a binary trigger.  Franklin has two models for the 10/22 now.  The "old style" where you install the parts in your trigger group, and the "new style" that is an entire replacement trigger group.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you want one,  mine works as advertised no issues as I have a suppressor on mine also.  fun gun
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#3]
No, you want a Kidd 2 stage trigger. Quality of quantity of rounds fired OP.

Seriously get what you want but the Kidd 2 stage trigger changed my life.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BabaYaga22:

View Quote

Most people who own a 10/22 have more than one you know?

Kidd triggers are awesome but the Franklin Armory Binary is worth building a dedicated gun, that's what I did.

Link Posted: 9/2/2023 8:18:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Princeton] [#5]
Even though I’ve never owned a 10/22 until building a custom one just recently I’ve always looked at them as being basically 1 of 2 types of guns.
An expensive custom or semi-custom gun with a precision trigger, match grade barrel and magnified scope for precise exact shot placement at a slow rate of fire.

And the other is a less expensive plinker with factory grade parts and a red dot meant to shoot larger targets at an increased rate of speed for fun.

I think a Franklin Armory trigger would be right at home on the latter gun but an unlikely, unwanted accessory on the former gun.
As someone above already said, if what you have is a precision match style rifle then get a Kidd trigger.
If your goal s to shoot 1,000 rounds on a Saturday morning at the range then get a FA trigger.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:

Kidd triggers are awesome but the Franklin Armory Binary is worth building a dedicated gun, that's what I did.

https://i.imgur.com/lGojaye.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VzxRZMF.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BabaYaga22:

I love it when a plan comes together

Yes, this is entirely for a dedicated range toy.

I’m just wondering if the Franklin binary trigger for 10/22 actually works or is more grief than it’s worth.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Makarov:

I’m just wondering if the Franklin binary trigger for 10/22 actually works or is more grief than it’s worth.
View Quote

They work but there is a short learning curve initially to be efficient.

You can get on from Optics Planet for $170 plus tax until 9/7.

I don’t think it’s for the person with one 10/22 but if you have more than one, it would be a fun addition at the above cost.  You could snag a used trigger group for $50-$60, install it in that trigger group and then swap them out if you like.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By QtrHorse:

I don’t think it’s for the person with one 10/22 but if you have more than one, it would be a fun addition at the above cost.  You could snag a used trigger group for $50-$60, install it in that trigger group and then swap them out if you like.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads-up on the deal.

I do have more than one 10/22 and a bunch of spare factory trigger packs.

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine works great as well, it's just a rhythm thing getting it to fire fast. I would say if the gun ran well before the binary it should run good after.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Always happy to help people spend their $$!!!

Sell me one of those extra trigger packs…… I need one more for a build.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#11]
My KIDD identifies as nonbinary, and that’s ok.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I didn't want to mess with my 10/22 (backpacker) so that FA trigger is just sitting around until I either sell it or get another 10/22. Decided to grab a FA lower instead since they can regularly be found for <$400 and have used it with .22, 5.7, 9mm and 5.56 with no problems.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

@Coffin-Nail

That set up looks slightly familiar...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
My KIDD identifies as nonbinary, and that’s ok.
View Quote

I like you
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:

@Coffin-Nail

That set up looks slightly familiar...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/242045/20230905_161111_jpg-2943899.JPG
View Quote

Nice, is that one of the Walmart exclusive 20" SS guns from back in the day? I rarely get rid of guns but a friend talked me into trading one of those off and I had a hard time finding a stainless model for that build when I did it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Nice, is that one of the Walmart exclusive 20" SS guns from back in the day? I rarely get rid of guns but a friend talked me into trading one of those off and I had a hard time finding a stainless model for that build when I did it.
View Quote

Yeah, I think it is. I bought a couple 10/22's from them when they were clearancing them around 2018/19. I had a stainless takedown model I got from them at that time, but I had to sell it to fund my divorce.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Do you have a link for $170?  I cannot find it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SPARKY4:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SPARKY4:

Unfortunately, they are back to $270.  Must have been a short Labor Day sale.  It’s the cheapest I have seen them ever.  They were $189 and then there was a 10% Labor Day coupon which brought them down to $170.  Palmetto had them at $209, must have been a dealer wide sale.  Had one in my cart to show a friend the price, see screen shot.  Maybe OP will honor that sale price of you instant message them and ask?

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#20]
The Optics Planet price was all over the place. I ended up paying $189, shipped including sales tax. I’m happy. That’s the absolute cheapest I have found them.

I got a takedown model sitting around that I wanted to do something with and a Magpul stock as well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought mine from psa at 209.  I didn’t see the cheaper optics planet one until after I had already bought it.  Crossing my fingers it works well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#22]
They were $161 about 5 months ago from FamilyFirearms.

Bought one back then and been sitting on it. Finally about to complete that build next month with a threaded stainless 10/22 and the stainless Samson B-TM stock.

I’m excited
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I got my trigger and no binary of course.  Followed the YouTube video on the fix and it works fine now.  Seems like FA should change up the design a bit to work with all the housings. Mine is an old alluminum one.  My safety plunger went flying too so I had to grind the oem plunger flat and use it lol!  Cool little trigger… I just hope it works 100%.  I’ll update as I test fire it.  
This is the video I’m talking about.  Worked like a charm on mine.
10/22 binary fix
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By CaptShiess:
I got my trigger and no binary of course.  Followed the YouTube video on the fix and it works fine now.  Seems like FA should change up the design a bit to work with all the housings. Mine is an old alluminum one.  My safety plunger went flying too so I had to grind the oem plunger flat and use it lol!  Cool little trigger… I just hope it works 100%.  I’ll update as I test fire it.  
10/22 binary fix
View Quote

It’s known that they don’t always work well with the aluminum housings.  The aluminum housings seem to cause issues with most aftermarket triggers.  I know Brimstone and CPC don’t like doing trigger jobs if they are in the OEM aluminum trigger housings.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#25]

It’s known that they don’t always work well with the aluminum housings.  The aluminum housings seem to cause issues with most aftermarket triggers.  I know Brimstone and CPC don’t like doing trigger jobs if they are in the OEM aluminum trigger housings.
View All Quotes
10/22 binary fix

I did read that as well but I had the same problems when I tried it with a spare plastic housing I have. From what I’m seeing, the best luck people are having is with the Bx trigger housing.  I’m just glad I got it working.  I was worried I’d ruin it without fixing the issue but so far so good (at least with some dry firing I’ve done).
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Reporting back that my binary ran beautifully!  Takes a bit of a rhythm but you can unload a mag very quickly.  Still not 100% reliability but I have the same results with my ar15/22 binary.  I actually think the 10/22 runs a bit more reliably.  Lots of fun and my boys loved it!  It did require a bit of filing but it runs as it should now.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 11:15:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JSchell1309] [#27]
Reporting back that my binary ran beautifully!  Takes a bit of a rhythm but you can unload a mag very quickly.  Still not 100% reliability but I have the same results with my ar15/22 binary.  I actually think the 10/22 runs a bit more reliably.  Lots of fun and my boys loved it!  It did require a bit of filing but it runs as it should now.
https://i.imgur.com/mjpfJuK.jpg
View Quote

I also just shot my Binary 10/22 for the first time this weekend, also in a B-TM stock hah.

Ran 7, 25 round mags of CCI standard flawlessly and fast. After that it had 2 failures to feed on one mag which is either the mag or an extremely dirty action. This was all with a 16" OEM stainless barrel and a suppressor.

A few things I did upfront are:

Kidd Bolt buffer for quieter action

Kidd charging handle and guide rod: extremely smooth operation of the bolt now. Stock rod and spring are pretty bad compared to this

Volquartsen extractor: much nicer quality than OEM stamped on. Zero issues with failure to extract from a dirty chamber

Volquartsen firing pin: same as above, quality upgrade over OEM stamped one. Zero issues with failure to fire or light strikes.

I targeted those as the minimum I wanted to change from OEM but would give me the best return on value for increasing reliability in binary.

This thing absolutely emptied 4 Mags back to back. So much fun keeping 25 rounds on steel in a few seconds.

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#28]
The Franklin trigger is on sale at PSA for $220 and free shipping.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:16:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Utahshooting] [#29]

View Quote

Put one in a 10/22 Charger and it worked great for 3-4 outings and now jams after every round. Talked to local gunsmith and he says he turns away working on them as they are a pain in the ass to get running correctly. So, it's now an expensive paperweight
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Utahshooting:

Put one in a 10/22 Charger and it worked great for 3-4 outings and now jams after every round. Talked to local gunsmith and he says he turns away working on them as they are a pain in the ass to get running correctly. So, it's now an expensive paperweight
View Quote

You installed it in a polymer housing?

Try some Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner & Lube.  10/22’s can be finicky because they get super dirty using traditional gun oils.  I have had the best luck using the Hornady product on my 10/22’s.  Many of the 10/22 enthusiasts only use this product on their 10/22 rifles and semi auto .22 pistols.

Maybe an aftermarket extractor?  

Is it a factory 10/22 or does it have aftermarket parts?
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#31]
For me its a pass as all my local ranges don't allow any kind of rapid fire (have to wait a few seconds between each pull of the trigger) or else the range fudds will come and yell at you and threaten to kick you out.

Perhaps if I had my own private range or access to one where it isn't ran by a bunch of fudd nazis I might consider trying one of these in one of my rifles if not my 10/22.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 3:45:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Utahshooting] [#32]

Try some Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner & Lube.  10/22’s can be finicky because they get super dirty using traditional gun oils.  I have had the best luck using the Hornady product on my 10/22’s.  Many of the 10/22 enthusiasts only use this product on their 10/22 rifles and semi auto .22 pistols.

View Quote

It's been awhile since I took gun from safe but I installed the trigger in whatever trigger housing came with the 10/22 takedown charger. My memory is that it was metal, but I don't know for sure.  

I'll try the Hornady One Shot.  Can't hurt to try.

Aside from the Franklin trigger, gun is bone stock. Hell, I even SBR'd it and put a stock on it. Like I said, it ran great first 3-4 times we took it to range. I've cleaned it pretty well and it literally jams after every shot. It's a single shot SBR now.

I have a spare factory Ruger drop in trigger pack and was just gonna remove the binary trigger and put the Ruger in
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#33]
It's well known that FA binary's don't play well metal housings for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#34]

It's been awhile since I took gun from safe but I installed the trigger in whatever trigger housing came with the 10/22 takedown charger. My memory is that it was metal, but I don't know for sure.  

Aside from the Franklin trigger, gun is bone stock. Hell, I even SBR'd it and put a stock on it. Like I said, it ran great first 3-4 times we took it to range. I've cleaned it pretty well and it literally jams after every shot. It's a single shot SBR now.

I have a spare factory Ruger drop in trigger pack and was just gonna remove the binary trigger and put the Ruger in
View All Quotes

Honestly this doesn’t sound like the trigger.  The problem with the FA and metal housings isn’t that it causes any jams but that you basically have semi in both the semi and binary positions.  To me it sounds like an ejector issue.  The FA shouldn’t cause any ftf or fte problems.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 12:08:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Yes you do want one.

Link Posted: 11/24/2023 2:14:59 AM EDT
[#36]
$190 at Optics Planet with 12% off code listed on the websites header or if you get to $250, there is a $40 code.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 2:18:54 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Sweet gun
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:10:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Makarov] [#38]
OK, 9 months later and I finally got my binary trigger equipped 10/22 out to the range

Gun and trigger ran 100% with 70 rounds of Federal 36gr. Bulk pack. My trigger housing is a plastic, NON-BX. Based on some things I’ve read, I re-used the factory trigger return spring instead of the spring provided by Franklin. I don’t know if that makes a difference or not.  

In binary mode, the gun is more fun than anybody can have with their clothes on. I own other guns with binary triggers but the lack of recoil from the .22 made it easier to keep precise control of the trigger.

Again, it’s a range toy but worth it to me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#39]
That’s good to hear. I’ve tried 4 or 5 different BX and non-BX housings. I may bite the bullet and get Franklin’s CNC housing.
Top Top