Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2024 5:51:45 PM EDT
I have an upcoming need to carry either AICS or possibly AR10 mags in a chest rig. I will also likely carry a Radio, Kestrel and a small assortment of items on the chest rig. I wouldn’t mind something that I could later swap out an insert or something and go to a small frame AR instead of the bigger platform.

I also will need to have a small pack for a tablet, binoculars, mission specific items, water and ammo, etc, etc.

I do have a pack in my K19, and while something that size would work, a plate carrier isn’t what I need for this application.  

Has anyone integrated a 3 day or flat pack into a chest rig?  Maybe I’ve just missed it,
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 5:57:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#1]
It can be done, but in my opinion you're better served just using the pack's straps and keeping it separate.  Packs on a chest rig usually don't balance well and if you over load them they'll sag and pull the front of the rig up.

As for rigging it up, some rigs and packs are made for it, like the HSP flat pack.  Otherwise, if the bottom of the pack's straps and the attachment points on the top of the chest rig use the same size buckles, you can remove the X or H harness from the chest rig and just snap in the pack's shoulder straps there and use those as the harness, then just tie down the bottom of the pack to the rig's waist strap somehow.  Depending on how long the pack straps are, this can sometimes work.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 9:27:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stanprophet09] [#2]
The Haley micro chest rig has swappable insets and has AR10/AICS mag inserts available. I run one with a backpack at times and it works well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a TT adapt pack with a shaw v3 placard and it works pretty well. Another guy rigged one up with the .mil low ride chest rig thing. If your carrier pack came with shoulder straps you should be able to rig something up to try out with what you have on hand. Think of it as your normal placard/pack combo you wear with your carrier but without the carrier. If you do go with the shaw it'll accept inserts for 3/4 556 mags or 3 762 mags and the ends will accept side release buckles or tubes or both at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 12:30:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the Hill people gear Heavy Recon can integrate with their Tarahumara pack.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh yeah totally doable.  Back around -05-06 timeframe you saw this a lot.  We did this at UWGear, with SR buckles on back of chest rigs, to take an assault pack.  Same principle as on a PC, you just remove shoulder straps and rig it into shoulder straps of chest rig.  Then tie in bottom of bag with back of rig.  I used to build a chest rig with a water bladder pouch on the back of it.  You could just swap out the bladder pouch for the ruck.  SOTech did a commercial run of them for a unit at Bragg.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Diz:
Oh yeah totally doable.  Back around -05-06 timeframe you saw this a lot.  We did this at UWGear, with SR buckles on back of chest rigs, to take an assault pack.  Same principle as on a PC, you just remove shoulder straps and rig it into shoulder straps of chest rig.  Then tie in bottom of bag with back of rig.  I used to build a chest rig with a water bladder pouch on the back of it.  You could just swap out the bladder pouch for the ruck.  SOTech did a commercial run of them for a unit at Bragg.
View Quote

I figured I was reinventing the wheel. Not sure why the concept isn't more popular especially with so many people having placards and chest rigs now. You can easily rig buckles for placards onto any shoulder straps for packs or belt kits and I've added them to all mine.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#7]
An LBT-1961AR with the optional Rear Pack setup that was designed for it? (or the Emerson clone, materials and workmanship look decent to me). With the Split Front, the whole thing comes off like a Pack.

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
It can be done, but in my opinion you're better served just using the pack's straps and keeping it separate.  Packs on a chest rig usually don't balance well and if you over load them they'll sag and pull the front of the rig up.

As for rigging it up, some rigs and packs are made for it, like the HSP flat pack.  Otherwise, if the bottom of the pack's straps and the attachment points on the top of the chest rig use the same size buckles, you can remove the X or H harness from the chest rig and just snap in the pack's shoulder straps there and use those as the harness, then just tie down the bottom of the pack to the rig's waist strap somehow.  Depending on how long the pack straps are, this can sometimes work.
View Quote

Head On Tactical has some slick setups I've been considering but this point completely deflates the idea for me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#9]
That is an issue, weight distribution.

Maybe the thought should be more like Greenmushroom noted. What backpacks have good belts as that’s kinda key to keeping thinks in pace, and then good solutions for adding placards?
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Multi-G:
That is an issue, weight distribution.

Maybe the thought should be more like Greenmushroom noted. What backpacks have good belts as that’s kinda key to keeping thinks in pace, and then good solutions for adding placards?
View Quote

Adding the front placard can add stability to a small pack that doesn't have a waste strap as well. Not sure how your carrier pack is setup but on mine there are lower straps that attach to the cumberbund. I bring those around and attach them to the side of the placard and have qasms attached to the packs shoulder straps for the upper connection. This kinda sucks everything together and is more stable than a small ruck bouncing around on your back.

On my pack you can just release the lower part of shoulder straps but if yours doesn't do that idt it matters as long as you have those side straps for the placard. Just keep that in mind that you need some form of secondary retention on the placard unless you want to stitch some loop to your shoulder straps.

This is all far outside the intended use so individual ergos are gonna matter a lot and ymmv wether any of this will be comfy for you. I found with the placard/small pack combo a little ride height adjustment made a huge difference in comfort so try to avoid having that permanently fixed until you have everything sorted.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I removed the pack straps and mounted it on the back of the Agilite K19. But now that I’m rethinking this I see a different plan, the little Agilite pack is ok size wise I’m thinking the removable straps may be a negative here.

Maybe a small three day pack with a more substantial hip belt. The belt would help with weight distribution and then as you mentioned the pack straps are tied into the plackard. I’m sure I’m overthinking it but then this is sometimes how good and bad ideas take off.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Basically I have both and it's nice to be able to interchange whatever pack with whichever placard. The removable straps are a plus in my book. I chopped them off my TT pack and added side releases to make them quick disconnect. Originally they're supposed to tuck in the hydration slot but that just makes the pack stand off your back plate more.

This is a maxpedition slingpack I use as a testbed. It's on my belt kit yoke but you can see the lower straps come up an connect same as with a pack only setup.

Kinda shitty pic but this is the TT adapt with my bino harness placard (Shaw v3). I think I lowered things I smidge from that pic and it's very comfy for lighter loads.

I'll try and get better pics of the TT pack setup as it's what I use the most and has the kinks worked out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Regarding sagging i think It depends in part on the design. I have a couple of the russian d3cr ripoffs that i have never attached to a pack as i don't Need It, but looks like they are designed in a way that does not prevent sagging.
As Diz said, some years ago map packs were all the range, rrv chest rigs were common and there were dedicated packs that mounted instead of shoulder  straps, or molle backplates that could carry plates but the layers of 1000d cordura made for a stiff platform even when empty. These were unobtainium so some guys would attach the molle hydro carrier that attached to shoulder straps with two buckles and you slide the waist strap inside a sleeve in the lower part and then mounted the molle pack to It without sagging issued (shoulder straps worn x style). I had the blackhawk equivalent with the back plate and It was less Stable, but there was no sagging as It wasn't the current 3+1 mags era
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Crye Airlite Chest Rig with their AVS pack is another option.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#16]
What about one of the South African type 83 vests? They have pouches for everything.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I’ve pondered something like the Diz Rig, or those SO tech types rigs but I’m wondering if the added bulk will be worth it. I’ll probably still need a backpack as I don’t see those as viable a tablet such as a Panasonic CF-33 or the like.
I don’t correctly have one of those rigs, so I cannot say for sure.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By PistoleroJesse:
I think the Hill people gear Heavy Recon can integrate with their Tarahumara pack.
View Quote

I think the Recon + lifter straps, you can use any pack you already have.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
An LBT-1961AR with the optional Rear Pack setup that was designed for it? (or the Emerson clone, materials and workmanship look decent to me). With the Split Front, the whole thing comes off like a Pack.

https://i.imgur.com/wlfTEOo.jpg
View Quote

This thing looks great.   Most people have an aversion to split front rigs, but if they would try it chances are they would never go without
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:02:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:11:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Daggertt] [#21]
As already mentioned, it sounds like you're describing a haley flatpack + micro rig, which are designed to integrate. And hold the minimal items you're describing without tempting you to include the kitchen sink.

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#23]
That rig looks awesome! Love me some AOR.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Spiritus has a split front rig with a buttpack option
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:21:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Daggertt:
As already mentioned, it sounds like you're describing a haley flatpack + micro rig, which are designed to integrate.
View Quote

The Flatpack will intigrate with other chest rigs as well - Spiritus Microfight rigs for example.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#26]
No experience in this field, but how would you get to the items in the pack without removing the chest rig? Guess you can't.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By batjka104:
No experience in this field, but how would you get to the items in the pack without removing the chest rig? Guess you can't.
View Quote

@batjka104 I’m assuming that he’d keep non-essential items in the pack & take the whole thing off to get to it.  I’ve got a pack zipped onto my plate carrier.  It had a light rain later, hand warmers, spare gloves, foam ear pros, tape, batteries in a case.  I know to get onto it I need someone else or I need to pull the whole carrier off.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#28]
With one wrap and repair buckles you can probably rig up any placard you want to any pack you want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top