Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2023 5:42:01 PM EDT
Anybody have one of these?? I am doing my civic duty helping out the "new widow" situation. Anyhow after researching this thing it's not a super collector WW2 rifle but are they as bad as it seems??
This poor fella had a receipt ~642 back in 2003 so not really sure if it shot well or not. I have mags, lots of ammo some recent modern S&B .303 (303 isn't cheap on sgammo fyi)
Before I do any type of time wasting at selling this thing, is it really a rifle and caliber people are interested in?? I have the liberty of using it or trying to sell it for her as I don't
want another caliber but mostly looking for information. Anybody who has one should be able to know Keep/give away/try and sell
I'm going to do a serial and markings research tomorrow as I just got the collection of mostly nothing but stuff nobody wants.

thanks up front on this C&R era I am clueless
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The first thing to do is verify it is a true No5.  Reproductions were made from No4 rifles years back.

Not a huge collector following.  It is fun to shoot though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 5:55:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: axl] [#2]
Its not a collector gun, post WWII, not a particularly good shooter, bad recoil, and .303 ammo is higher than giraffe pussy. If original, in good condition, I'd keep just because. But it would definitely be wall hanger status. $400 -$500 maybe.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 6:31:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#3]
My least favorite Enfield.  I get why they were made but it just doesn’t work for me.   A bit of a muzzle blast akin to a M44 Mosin.

+1 to a lot of faux mk5.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Narrow & brick hard recoil pad that is smaller than the buttstock to focus maximum recoil & pain into your shoulder.

As others have said, there are a LOT of reproduction #5s made post war by various importers out of old #4s.

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#5]
the easy way to tell is typically the sights. If it has the normal rifle rear sight base then its a "creation"
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Like a beautiful sexy woman that just fucking hurts you
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a "manufactured" one from a Mk4. It looks brand new and is fun to shoot. Best to do it standing up versus sitting.  The .303 in such a light weight gun will rock you pretty good. I have a few Mosin carbines and the .303 kicks harder, presumably because it weighs a lot less.

It will only increase in value as they simply aren't made any longer and there a LOT of Mk4's out there.  Still pretty easy though find .303 ammo online.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 4:16:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mew:
Anybody have one of these?? I am doing my civic duty helping out the "new widow" situation. Anyhow after researching this thing it's not a super collector WW2 rifle but are they as bad as it seems??
This poor fella had a receipt ~642 back in 2003 so not really sure if it shot well or not. I have mags, lots of ammo some recent modern S&B .303 (303 isn't cheap on sgammo fyi)
Before I do any type of time wasting at selling this thing, is it really a rifle and caliber people are interested in?? I have the liberty of using it or trying to sell it for her as I don't
want another caliber but mostly looking for information. Anybody who has one should be able to know Keep/give away/try and sell
I'm going to do a serial and markings research tomorrow as I just got the collection of mostly nothing but stuff nobody wants.

thanks up front on this C&R era I am clueless
View Quote

It’s only “collectible” if it’s a true No.5. If it’s a “re-creation”, it’s more in line with a bubba’d rifle in terms of value and it’s a curiosity instead.  The price on Enfield’s of all patterns has climbed like all other formerly cheap mil-surp rifles, so it still has some value almost regardless of condition.

I’d take a fake No.5 if the price was right just to have one to screw around with at the range. But that price would probably max out at $300 or so and catch me in the right mood. So I’m sure someone else would pay more.

Who cares if it thumps you a little bit? It’s a relic of days gone by that you shoot for the fun of it. Yeah, ammo is expensive. So what? You buy a couple of boxes and reloading dies and enjoy it on occasion. You’re probably not going to shoot more than 20 rounds at a time anyway.

Arf.com tends to over-analyze things and presume every gun you buy requires an ammo fort and tactical accessories to make it as close to an AR as possible, but then crap on it for not being an AR. Enjoy it for what it is. Or find someone who will. It’s not trash. But it’s not a grail gun either (assuming it’s fake - which the odds favor).
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 10:15:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mew] [#9]
Thanks for all the replies fellas, I believe without a doubt this is a copy due to; poor markings ie; serial number looks light and some marks look electro penciled, and the bolt knob isn't hollowed out like known Mk5's.
But the bore looks good to me anyway, but I think I may just try and sell the ammo and move on.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Electro pencil scribing is normal.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#12]
The one I got from my dad the markings are pretty faint and some electropencil I believe as well. It does have the correct bolt and lightening cuts in the barrel under the stock.

Pics would help.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 3:41:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I have had some, recoil isn't that bad. Pics would be helpful, early 1944-45 wartime Faz/bsa will be more desirable than post war. Plenty of like new unissued 46-47 Klein's imports out there. Nice high condition wartime very hard to find.

There is more miserable to shoot surplus carbines out there..
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I love mine. Killed a lot of deer with it. Never had an issue with it at all.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#15]
All those complaining about the recoil: slip-on recoil pads are pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Here are some things to look for from my 1945 BSA No5.  First and easiest is the 800m rear sight.

Whole rifle

Scalloped barrel

Lightening cuts on the reciever

Hollow bolt knob

Lightened trigger frame

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Guess it's personal preference, the No 5 is my favorite Enfield.  Light and handy, more accurate than it has any right to be, and just enough added recoil to make it fun!  

+1 to what the others have said about a real Jungle vs a fake.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I tried to fix one years ago that someone sporterized and drilled through the chamber trying to mount scope bases...

Only one I've ever handled.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Here is my 8/45 No5 next to one of the Gibbs Indian 2A converted carbines.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I was able to sell it for $425 shipped. The widow will be very pleased without a doubt.

Thanks for all the replies and work with the pics and descriptions, very helpful and informative.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 12:41:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GlockLuvinRedleg] [#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mew:
Thanks for all the replies fellas, I believe without a doubt this is a copy due to; poor markings ie; serial number looks light and some marks look electro penciled, and the bolt knob isn't hollowed out like known Mk5's.
But the bore looks good to me anyway, but I think I may just try and sell the ammo and move on.
View Quote

Bolt doesn't matter,
Pull the reciever from the stock
That'll tell the story

Link Posted: 12/5/2023 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#22]
The No 5 is actually the gun that pushed me to get my C&R FFL the first time.  In 2001, these were VERY uncommon in the US.  Century brought in a pretty good sized batch of them and I had my local gun shop (literally...a few blocks from my house) get one for me.  I know what the distributors were selling them for and I didn't even ask the shop what it would cost.  I was "shocked" when they charged me about $300 for it when it came in.  I think they were like $150 - 200 in Shotgun News!  I paid the price and got my FFL not long after.

I don't have any really good pic of mine.  Haven't taken any since way back.  Here she is as seen from a million miles!

Rob
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't have mine anymore but it was a fun rifle.  Probably the most "useful" (if someone was inclined to use it as a hunting rifle) of any of the enfields I had, but it did kick pretty hard.

I went pretty much all Swiss/German with my collection but occasionally I get tempted when I see nice examples go up for sale.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By LedZeppelin:
I don't have mine anymore but it was a fun rifle.  Probably the most "useful" (if someone was inclined to use it as a hunting rifle) of any of the enfields I had, but it did kick pretty hard.

I went pretty much all Swiss/German with my collection but occasionally I get tempted when I see nice examples go up for sale.
View Quote

Not an Enfield, but another "sleeper" c&r as far as being useful/handy for hunting is the steyer m95,
Straight pull brush gun that fires a round that will drt anything in North america,,,
Yes

Like the no5, it definitly benefits from a slip on "kik ezz"
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By axl:  Its not a collector gun, post WWII, not a particularly good shooter, bad recoil, and .303 ammo is higher than giraffe pussy. If original, in good condition, I'd keep just because. But it would definitely be wall hanger status. $400 -$500 maybe.
View Quote

Quite a few were made during the 2nd WW & some got issued.  Some folks collect No 5s, some nuts shoot them w/ the original recoil pads.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Quite a few were made during the 2nd WW & some got issued.  Some folks collect No 5s, some nuts shoot them w/ the original recoil pads.
View Quote

I have pictures of a friend shooting my No5.  He fired one shot and handed it back to me.  I never really thought it was that bad.  7mm Lebel cavalry carbine was way worse!
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By svt40:

I have pictures of a friend shooting my No5.  He fired one shot and handed it back to me.  I never really thought it was that bad.  7mm Lebel cavalry carbine was way worse!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:    Quite a few were made during the 2nd WW & some got issued.  Some folks collect No 5s, some nuts shoot them w/ the original recoil pads.

8mm?  I introduced my brother to long guns w/ an H&R single shot 12 ga 3" break open.  He didn't realize you could shoot 2.75" from it.  He's impervious to recoil.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#28]
whilst the hollow bolt handle is a true No 5 trait,  keep in mind  a lot were refurbed with whatever parts were available ,  in Commonwealth countriews,   that got No 4 bolts,  (and correctly renumbered,   not force matched)  to the receiver,

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 12:17:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RogueJSK] [#29]

Quite a few were made during the 2nd WW & some got issued.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By axl:  Its not a collector gun, post WWII,

Quite a few were made during the 2nd WW & some got issued.

Yep.  Although it's most commonly associated with post-WW2 use in Kenya and especially Malaya during the 1950s, production of the No. 5 started in early 1944 with it first beginning to be issued in mid-to-late 1944.  It saw some limited use with British forces towards the end of WW2, and especially in immediate postwar reoccupation/disarmament/internal security duties.

It first pops up in small numbers in images of British operations in the Netherlands in late 1944 and into early 1945.  Here it is in November 1944 with the 52nd Lowlands Division:

Here it is in January 1945 with the 6th Cameronians:

And in April 1945 with 48 Commando:

Then saw widespread issue and use with Airborne units starting in early 1945, shown here with the 1st Airborne Division during the liberation of Norway in May 1945:

Then the 6th Airborne Division in Palestine starting in September 1945:

And the 7th Parachute Battalion in Indonesia in December 1945:
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Looking at those pics reminds me I still need a No5 bayonet!
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Looking at those pics reminds me I still need a No5 bayonet!
View Quote

I picked up a reproduction not too long ago.

I always feel the need to have bayonets for anything that accepts them. And I don't necessarily need factory if the price isn't right. I'm more into the weapon (rifle) than accessories.

Attachment Attached File

Atlantic Cutlery (No5 Bayonet)
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By aod886:
I always feel the need to have bayonets for anything that accepts them.
View Quote

Agreed.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By aod886:

I picked up a reproduction not too long ago.

I always feel the need to have bayonets for anything that accepts them. And I don't necessarily need factory if the price isn't right. I'm more into the weapon (rifle) than accessories.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/249712/Lee_Enfield_No_5_MK1_with_No_5_Bayonet__-3102033.JPG

Atlantic Cutlery (No5 Bayonet)
View Quote

Yea I saw those, but I want an original.  I here I thought I'd get a No5 bayonet long before I found an SVT-40 bayonet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for sharing those pictures of the No 5 in service.  I didn't realize they had that widespread of use.  My No 5 is one of the FMP marked ones, I got it over 20 years ago from Southern Ohio Gun I believe.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Knowing more now, I suspect the "Wandering Zero" issue of the No. 5 had more to do w/ flinch than any actual problem w/ the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I have one.  They are solid, reliable, and well made...if typically british.  Recoil is what it is for a 30 cal rifle.  

As a military tool, they are solid.  It's a fun piece of history...but practicality is another discussion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top