Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2023 4:34:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Varmint-Hunter]
My buddy has a local farmer who was asking him to come over and do some Eurasian Dove removal.  They were getting into his feed and crapping all over the place.  He estimated 300+ dove on his property at any given time.  My buddy asked me if I would join him and bring some of my airguns (he had none).  I agreed and brought my LCS Airarms SK-19 .25 caliber and my Daystate Huntsman XL .22 caliber.

We got to the farm and the dove were everywhere.  I stood in a barn with the LCS and knocked them out of some trees at 50 to 70 yards.  It was the perfect hide and after a couple of shots, I had the range and wind figured out, so it became a shooting gallery (with an accurate gun)!  We ended up killing #40 (collected) on that day, with others going missing due to farm cats and death gliding into tall alfalfa next to the farm.

Attachment Attached File

After that hunt, my buddy was eager to buy his own airgun.  We went to a local shop here in the Boise, Idaho area so he could check some out and test them on their indoor range.  I had recently purchased a FX Panthera Hunter Compact in .30 caliber (minimum for Turkey here in Idaho).  The FX PHC has the option to move the fill nipple and replace the stock with an AR15 buffer tube, stock and a folder made for this rifle.  I had that set-up, so the compact, but still high-power and accurate rifle, really piqued his interest.  After test firing a few, he went with the same FX PHC, but in .25 caliber.  He set his up the same as mine, but put on a larger tank and a Larue Rat Stock.  After some range work at the shop and outside at the farm, he was ready to roll!

I could hear the "smacks" every time he popped a Eurasian Dove from all around the corrals and feed bins.  He was smacking the heck out of them with his new rifle and was enjoying every moment of it!  We ended up getting #50 (collected), with others also being snagged by farm cats and making it into the alfalfa field (10 feet away from some trees).  I used my FX and also my LCS.  Both also performed very well.  We are planning another day out there very soon.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/3/2023 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Name of store?  Been looking to upgrade my airgun game and live in Idaho.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#2]

That's a great collection of birds!

Link Posted: 10/4/2023 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#3]
That’s some awesome shooting. And nice toy’s.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1911fan:
Name of store?  Been looking to upgrade my airgun game and live in Idaho.
View Quote
It's Idaho Airgun in Nampa, ID.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By myitinaw:

That's a great collection of birds!

View Quote

Originally Posted By sparkyD:
That's some awesome shooting. And nice toy's.
View Quote
Thanks guys!  The Starlings are starting to arrive in bigger numbers, so they'll be moved up the hitlist!
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 3:02:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quick video I put together. Next time I'll bring my better camera!

Eurasian Collared Dove Airgun Hunt

Link Posted: 10/19/2023 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#7]
We did it again. #61 retrieved this time. The .30 caliber puts the wallop on them!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/20/2023 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Varmint-Hunter:
We did it again. #61 retrieved this time. The .30 caliber puts the wallop on them!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52158/IMG_20231016_211419_807_jpg-2996939.JPG
View Quote

I bet! I think I would have to throw a few breast on the smoker and then simmer them in some mushroom gravy over homemade biscuits.🤠
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome! Good shooting.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Are you able to salvage  the breast out of the bird or is the air gun pretty hard on the meat?  I love me some dove nuggets
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Good job on the video looks fun.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 12:25:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Varmint-Hunter] [#12]
Thanks everyone! My buddy takes all the Dove when we are done. He said the .30 caliber leaves quite a bit of damage. But, we are hunting for depredation purposes, so those breasts go into the tank to feed the dermestid beetles that he breeds and sells.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I hit another dairy yesterday with my FX .30 caliber. This time, pigeons were on the hit list. Since the farm was busy, it forced the birds into areas where they would not normally hang out. I was using Hades pellets and an ATN X-Sight 4K Pro optic.

Attachment Attached File

Lots of crap mud to wander around in while collecting:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/14/2023 7:40:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Cool OP! But pigeons are like hogs fun to shoot but you damn sure don’t want them.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#15]
You are correct on that! We do try to take them off the property and out of the pens. The damn cows love eating them, so that's another thing we try to avoid! I pull the heads, get them cleaned by beetles, whiten them and sell them. Easy extra money for gas, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top